Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
El Salto personal report DEC14th thru !6th
Day one started off with being picked up at my hotel at 10:00.After the short scenic drive to the I am quite familiar with we arrived at the lake around noon. Everyone was in for lunch, after delicious lunch we went out on the lake to several points and drops only catching a fish here and there. It was starting to get late in the day we stopped at one last point. The bass were very actively chasing small tilapia all over busting water you could see them slashing and jumping. So immediately I started throwing a small crank bait to the shore where the fish were working. Nothing not even a follow up I decided the fish were full of bait so I thought maybe some of them would grab a slower presentation the ones settled under the active fish I grabbed a plastic bait started working it slow I was right I caught a dozen bass in the 1-2 pound range till darkness ended it. The next morning we started fishing as it was just barely light enough to see the morning bite is top water casting to stumps rocks and rocky points of shoreline. Normally top water there produces some big fish, like the 8 pounder my friend Tom Lujan from Colorado caught three years ago. I saw Tom at the airport he was going to the Lake, but I had to go to Mazatlan first for business and saltwater fishing which I will be writing a separate report on, on my saltwater site. We did not get a strike on the morning bite. So we tried several points and coves just getting an occasional fish here and there. We tried the point were we caught a dozen the evening before nothing. I did not see fish working the bait like they were. There is a river channel close so I surmised that the fish were laying in the channel in the morning coming up to the points to feed on the bait fish in the afternoon. I told my guide right after lunch I wanted him to bring me back to another point he showed where I had seen a lot of fish and some big fish working that area the two points were only a couple hundred yards apart. After another great lunch at the lodge ,we headed to point one. with crank bait and soft plastic nothing. The second point where I caught the dozen fish the previous day was pay dirt. Again I could see Bass slashing there were clouds of small Tilapia corralled against the bank. They had come out of the river channel feeding as I suspected. I thru a small perch pattern crank to the bank as soon as it came off the drop to about 5ft water slam that action continued all around that point I nailed Bass every cast for about ten cast we caught about 2 dozen there before they quite. The last day was about the same in the morning slow no big fish about a dozen at scattered points breaks and flats with a lot of submerged tree’s. My suggested that we head to a flat that he said was usually pretty good fishing. He told me that because I mainly fish plastic for the bulk of my action that it is a grassy flat he would teach me some technique. The guide used a Carolina rig while I used a Texas style. We both hooked a fish the guide thru a plastic water bottle with a sinker for a marker to mark the fish then said you fish here. I continued to catch Bass ranging from 1 1/2 to 4 pounds fishing right next to the guides marker I caught 8 Bass on 8 cast I caught about 2 1/2 dozen more bass. Two other anglers in a different boat a hundred feet from us caught 60 there including one weighting 10 1/4 pounds! All all and all fishing was slow at El Salto there was one seven pounder caught by a young angler who came all the way from Japan to catch a Big Bass. He said it was his life long dream because the Bass in Japan if you are really lucky you might get a 5 pounder! There were some 8 pounders 9 pounders I caught about 80 Bass in 2 1/2 days 1 1/2 to 4 pounds I have alot of quality information, pictures, prices, on restaurants, hotels, shopping, tours points of interest for Lake El Salto and Mazatlan Mexico you can receive by contacting me either e mail or toll free 1-866-467-4926 1-866-horizan Lake El Salto is not a vacation it is an experience once you have gone you will keep returning
[signature]