Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mazatlan offshore DEC18th
The morning started a little unusual for this beautiful city south of the border. It was windy in the morning which is a switch from the norm as the wind usually comes up in the afternoon between 12:00 and 2:00. But as we all know the weather is changing globally and for the most part not for the better. This day our fishing would have its delay the Harbor Master had raised the warning flag, so our boat could not depart until the flag was lowered. Enrica who is the assistant Manager to senior Javier Pena was there he reassured me it should not be to long and the Harbor would be open. But he also assured me you are the client, you are the Boss, if you want to wait we wait if you don’t we don’t. This is the kind of service I am familiar with from this company sound advice coupled with honesty and hard work! I told Enrica we’ll wait and see what happens it was not long and the flag was lifted. We set out and started trolling close when we got to deep enough water. We had not trolled 20 minutes when a Dorado started charging the baits, the crew was alert now the fish would go after one then the other. Finally grabbing one of the baits, the reel screamed the mate grabbed it pulled back, but the fish jumped out of the water. We got a good look at it a nice Dorado about 20 to 25 lbs, the bait came in chomped about ¾ of the way it had bitten it off and let go. Of coarse we circled the area to see if we could entice that fish or any others that might be in that area to no avail. So we kept trolling we had two other Dorado come in on the baits about 10 to 12 pounds each no takers. We had tolled quit a way I could see fishing was going to be slow because of the wind this day but no matter I knew I was in good hands! Finally after a short time a fish came in I thought it was another Dorado it slashed pretty hard it was coming a little bit out of the water. We hooked it then it really came out of the water that’s when you could tell it was a sailfish, and a nice one to, a lot of tail walking a lot of jumping a lot of splashing a good fish. We released it, reset the baits and we had not trolled very far when we had a tremendous strike! The fish was hooked that’s when the show began this one was all over the place it went ballistic soon as it was hooked. This fish was sailing out of the water skimming a long the top like being hooked to a Jet Ski, miss ling out of the water this one was so fast and so powerful it bowed the line it would be jumping one hundred fifty yards to the right the line would still be strait off the back of the boat. The line could not cut the water as fast as this fish could swim it was a Blue Marlin! Not big by there standards but a wild one a good fish a memorable one it had taken 200 to 250 yards of line in no time without stopping. I do not like to chase a fish if I can avoid it but there was no choice we had to chase this one a little, just to keep the line from running out. After a lengthy battle that lasted over an hour the Marlin finely gave up the fight we guessed its weight between 180 and 200 lbs not big by Marlin standards but certainly a lot of fun!
[signature]