Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help eliminate feral swine/ small game laws
here ya go AL, better'n deer season State to hunters: Help eliminate feral swine [center][size 2]Wild swine pose threat to domestic livestock, environment and individuals[/size][/center] [size 2]Hunters with a valid hunting license of any type are encouraged to shoot feral swine (free-ranging wild pigs). [/size] [font "Arial"][size 2]See counties in red on this map: [url "http://www.michigan.gov/images/dnr/feralpigmap_177404_7.jpg"][font "Arial"][#800080][size 2]Michigan Feral Pig Map[/size][/#800080][/font][/url][/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 2](314KB) [/size][font "Arial"][size 2]Counties where at least one animal has been reported[/size][/font][/font] [size 2] In states where feral swine have become established, they have caused crop damage, po[/size][size 2]se a serious threat to the health and welfare of the domestic swine, endanger humans, impact wildlife populations, and impact the environment by disrupting the ecosystem[font "Arial"]. [/font][/size] [size 2] Because state law protects domestic livestock that may be running at large, special precautions are necessary to guard the rights of farmers. The following locations had at least one feral pig has been reported: Arenac, Baraga, Bay, Clinton, Cheboygan, Gladwin, Gratiot, Hillsdale, Isabella, Jackson, Lapeer, Lenawee, Marquette, Mason, Mecosta, Midland, Montcalm, Montmorency, Newaygo, Oceana, Ogemaw, Roscommon, and Saginaw counties. County prosecutors are aware that shooting feral swine in these counties is permitted and any potential owners of the feral swine have been contacted and do not claim ownership.[/size][font "Arial"][font "Arial"][size 2] "[/size][/font][/font][size 2]We will take aggressive enforcement action to protect the health of legally imported swine used in hunting preserves and to eliminate feral swine from the wild in Michigan",[/size] [size 2]said MDA State Veterinarian Steven Halstead. "Our goal is to safeguard the livestock industry as well as the environment from these unwelcome invaders." "[/size][size 2]Hunters, as always, have to be certain of their targets before shooting", said Alan Marble, Bureau Chief of the DNR Law Enforcement Division. "Feral swine are unfamiliar targets to most Michigan hunters, and sportspersons need to make sure they are shooting at hogs and not black bear, dogs, or any other animal."[/size][size 2] Because feral swine have the potential to carry diseases which may impact the state's domestic swine industry, MDA and DNR have set up a program to test these animals. DNR biologists at field check stations, in counties where feral swine have been sighted, will help hunters gather tissue samples to be submitted to the state diagnostic laboratory for free disease testing. While there is no indication that these animals are carrying pseudorabies or any other disease, Precautionary testing will be conducted. Feral swine may also transmit diseases such as brucellosis, bovine tuberculosis (TB) and trichinosis to people and other livestock. [/size] [size 2] A person field-dressing swine, especially in the Northeastern Lower Michigan TB area, should wear gloves.[/size] [size 2]If the lungs, ribcage or internal organs from wild pigs look abnormal (multiple tan or yellow lumps), the meat should not be eaten. The carcass should, however, be removed from the environment and brought to a DNR field office to prevent disease transmission to other animals.[/size][size 2] It is highly unlikely a person will contract bovine TB, brucellosis or trichinosis by eating thoroughly cooked meat of feral swine[/size][size 2]. These pathogens and parasites are very rarely found, as a precaution however, all meats, including that of feral swine, should be thoroughly cooked to an internal temperature of 170.6 degrees F. [/size] [size 2]State law prohibits the release of any species having the potential to spread serious diseases or parasites, to cause serious physical harm, or to otherwise endanger native wildlife, human life, livestock, domestic animals, or property. Intentional release of swine in Michigan is a felony and may be punishable by not less than $1,000. The law also requires domestically raised swine (including Russian and Eurasian Boars), have a physical examination by an accredited veterinarian to determine the health status before and after importation into Michigan. Proper housing, husbandry, and confinement of the animal must also be determined at the time of importation. Therefore, swine not raised in captivity may not be imported and released anywhere in[/size] [size 2]Michigan[/size][size 2]. To help eliminate these pests, the DNR encourages hunters to t[/size][size 2]ake any legal opportunity to shoot feral swine. They can be unpredictable when and where they show up. Hunters may not easily get a second chance. (Tip) When shooting a pig, aim for the shoulder or slightly ahead of the shoulder. The vital area of a pig is more forward than a deer.[/size] [size 2]If you see or shoot any feral swine please contact one of the following:[/size] [ul] [li] [size 2]DNR at (517) 336-5030 or email [url "mailto:brownkr@michigan.gov"][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]brownkr@michigan.gov[/size][/#000000][/font][/url];[/size] [li] [size 2]MDA at 1- (800) 292-3939 and press "4" for the Animal Industry Division[/size] [li] [size 2]USDA Wildlife Services at (517) 336-1928.[/size][/li][/ul] [size 2]For more information on zoonotic diseases and feral swine, go to:[/size] [url "http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases"][font "Arial"][size 2]www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases[/size][/font][/url] [font "Arial"][size 2]Taken from DNR Press Release:[/size][/font] [url "http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-155749--,00.html"][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]State to hunters: Help eliminate feral swine[/size][/#000000][/font][/url] [font "Arial"][size 2] [/size][/font][font "Arial"]Wild swine pose threat to domestic livestock, environment and individuals[/font] [url "http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/wildlife_damage/content/printable_version/feral%20pigs.pdf"][#000000][font "Arial"][size 2] [/size][/font][size 3] Feral Swine in the U.S. [/size][/#000000][/url] [font "Arial"][font "Arial"][size 2]USDA brochure[/size][/font][/font] [url "http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Hutton_Pig_Paper_177657_7.doc"][font "Arial"][#0000ff][size 2]Disease Risks Asscoiated with Feral Swine[/size][/#0000ff][/font][/url] [font "Arial"][size 2]For a summary of feral pig ecology, behavior, origins and expansion, and management concerns and implication, please visit the [url "http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/HUNT/Pig/Pig_Hunting.htm"][font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]Wisconsin DNR website on Feral Pigs[/size][/#000000][/font][/url][/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 2] This site also has some excellent photos of feral pigs.[/size][/font] [font "Arial"][size 2]Last Revised: November 9, 2006[/size][/font] [signature]
[signature]
holey moley!!!!!!

170 degrees..... man alive.....

thats hot stuff, especialy when I add my home grown cheyanne pepper to the sausage.... mmm mmm good stuff....
[signature]
I know a couple areas in my county that have a few running around so I e-mailed the D.N.R. FOR SOME ADDITIONAL INFORMATION about hunting for them .
as far as i know right now a deer rifle and a small game license will get you into plenty of hot water [crazy] .
[signature]
I think carrying a slug or double ot buck shot and a small game or furriers license is what is needed now, and a copy of the dnr page that says you are urged to target them on site.

I am sure if you are caught walking around with a deer rifle you will be in hot water for sure.

Remember, the page said current license, which means at this point and time deer license are invalid because the season is over and license are now void.

You don’t want to be shooting at them with any thing less than double ot buck shot that is for sure. you will only succeed in making them pissed off at you... and yes they do charge and attack what ever makes them mad.

Shooting at them with a 22 is like shooting at an elephant with a bb gun... ok that is a bit execrated, but not by much.

I have seen the results of hallow points from a 44 carbine explode on the hide before enough damage was done to get one to penetrate. Tough hide plus thick rib cage makes that little piggy one tough hombre'.

I had a buddy who was attacked by one back in the mid 70's, when his gun jammed, the boar was on his leg faster than he could draw his side arm. He got his leg half chewed off before he could get a round in to the pig’s’ head with a 44 mag.

He is not with us now, long lasting complications from the attack did him in some 15 years later..

Now if you have a furrier’s license and are hunting coyote with an 06 in your area you might have a winning combination for Mr. porky. If they let you use that rifle for ferril dog.
[signature]
Yea , no deer license left over here , I have the small game though .
The handbook has small game covered so that everything that could bring down a pig can't be used so I sure don't know what they want us to use .
Once I get a reply from the d.n.r. I'll post the info here , then I'll contact our local C.O.s and let them know where and when I'll be hunting the oinkers .
[signature]
that no posession of slug buckshot and cut loads restriction is only for five days before and five days after rifle season.

that is if they changed the law on me again...
dont
[signature]
The reference number for your question is '070106-000022'.

Yep, I asked the questions already .
what type of wepons (bows , rifles ) and calibers may be used since conventional small game loads are not strong enough to do the job .
baiting , is it permisable ?
tree stand usage ?
any special provisions ?

and i asked for the answers to be in printable format to carry out in the feild , just in case a C.O. happens to come across the pig hunter and dosen't know the rules either .[angelic]
[signature]
my friend you can bet geroge bushes house on the co not knowing any thing about it....

good man, let me know in a pm if you get someting going, I would love to stake out a pile of fresh sweet corn husks apples and corn squeezins... (just kiddin on the corn squeezins)

in tennessee there guys who hunt them with a bowie kinfe from a low branch, dropping down on their backs and thrusting the knife threw the rib cage or slitting the left ventrical killing the beasty in seconds litterly. (no blood to the brain no pain)

befor my auto injury I might have given it a thought or two, or maybe three, you with little ones and a sweet pea wondering around the house shouldnt give it a second thought.

but oh what the stories one could tell about adventures of slaying dragons and concering terrains and adverced climate!!!!...

if ya take a couple three, they may even build a stature in your honor! LOL,,,, but not me, I am just to dog gone ugly....[sly]

food for thought, this is the year of the pig a commin up...[Wink]

ferril boar hunting as community service?... just a thought...

I bet for ferril pigs we can even get away with electronic calling devices...[crazy]

been a long time since I gone pig hunting....
[signature]
Showing my age here but, back in the early 80's My bro got himself hitched to his first wife . H aving limited resourses I was the driver to wisk them away to there honeymoon destination , her Granny's trailer in Tenn.
There was some animal out in Granny's lylack bushes behind the house , adventurous us and the freeloading uncle that stayed at Grannys decided we were going to catch the beast with an old volley ball net , we did .
My bro and I circled the bunch of bushes with the net and uncle let off a few rounds from grandpappys old single shot 12ga. , out came the rasorback .
It hit the net and kept on going , draiging us cityboys the length of the garden before it was too tangled to run .
Uncle shiftless came back with a rope and tied the boar up and we spent a couple three hours draging the huge boar back to grannys pig pen .
Come christmass time granny said that was the best holiday ham she ever ate .
Pig huntin' must be big in Tenn, there were dozens of places where smoke was rising from the mountin side , making mash for baitpiles I guess [sly] .
[signature]
its leagle to make five gallons of granies fine rumitsm elixure. so long as it never leaves the farm.

you can make all the ethenal your tractor can handle.

by product is some of the best hog mash to clean out and sweeten up any piggy. Inside and out, just dont make a lot of noise around the waller in the mornings...

LOL, I would have loved to seen that on vidio tape, it sounds like an episode right out of ma and pa kettle. Ok, so now I showed my age...LOL

you prabably know now but didnt know then how much of a risk you put your selves in... I can just picture it now your sister in law looking out the winder seein yu'all chasin that harry little piggy geting dragged across the yard. Wonderin just what kind of a family she married in to....

I tell ya, when we was young we had bolders for pebbles....[laugh]

What part of tenn?
[signature]
Somewhere around the second exit as you head south into the state off I-75 , 20 years ago .
I do remember a dam just down the road from her place , you had to use wire cable to catch catfish there . Big catfish .
Her side of the family had a rather well known name , Hatfeild .
Granny had the honeymoon all planed for them , picking up aluminum cans by day and eating yourself fat for breakfast and supper .
Never got a taste of the rumatis medicin while I was down there , just as well though , there was a lot of scary looking girls looking for someone to hitch up with .

oh yea, that thing I sent you the P.M. on , a computer glitch , it's all done with , finally .
[signature]
glad to hear the data processer finaly caught up with it self.

I know that off ramp, you take is west for about an hour or so and you will come in to my town....

my dad just found himself a spot near him on the bottom side of 75 to bag wild boar for a sawbuck and a half.

It would be nice if we could regester to some where that when a boar is spotted we get a notification of sort email or phone call. there have been wild piggies spotted in lapear about 30 miles north of me, but lapear county is a big county just to start looking for a neadle in a hay feild.
[signature]
I'm working on that too , but so far no reply from the D.N.R.
[signature]
There is a very helpfull Mi.D.N.R. C.O. that is giving me some information on this topic , this is some of what she has sent so far .

There is no swine season. The hunters of the state of Michigan are
given consent to kill swine if they come across them while afield (that
is why the license and open hunting season are important facts) You
need to know that there is a season open for you to be afield with a
firearm ( since coyote season is open until April 15, 2007 ) you are
covered there. You then have to be licensed to be afield with a firearm
(example..if it was deer season, you would have a deer license so you
would be covered to shoot a swine if you were deer hunting...this time
of year you need a small game license to hunt anything so all you need
is to have your small game license to kill a swine) I have run into
guys actively hunting swine so you don't have to say you are only small
game/coyote hunting to cover anything up...as long as there is a season
open and you are licensed you are covered. Remember hunter orange!

This is a copy of an email recently sent to me about feral swine.
Hopefully this information is helpful (noted it said March 31-which is
the end of rabbit season, but up to April 15 you are legal to be hunting
coyote/swine)
................................................................................................................................
The following counties have been added to the list to make it legal to
shoot feral swine during the Michigan hunting season (through March 31);
Alcona, Shiawassee, Cass , Presque Isle, Branch, Alpena, Clinton and
Osceola. County prosecutors are aware that shooting feral swine in
these counties is permitted and any potential owners of the feral swine
have been contacted and do not claim ownership.

To help eliminate these pests, the DNR encourages hunters to take any
legal opportunity to shoot feral swine. They can be unpredictable when
and where they show up. Hunters may not easily get a second chance.
Hunters must have a valid hunting license in their possession to
harvest these animals.

While there is no indication that these animals are carrying
pseudorabies or any other disease, precautionary testing will be
conducted. Feral swine may also transmit diseases such as brucellosis,
bovine tuberculosis (TB) and trichinosis to people and other livestock.

For more information, visit [url "http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases"]www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases[/url].

good luck
-CO R. Forton
[signature]
Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Customer (lonehunter) - 01/06/2007 07:45 PM
feral swine
What are the regulations for hunting the swine ?
current hunting methods available under the small game and or fur harvester
license do not carry enough killing power to drop an animal of that size .

can a bow and arrow or a deer rifle of any caliber be used on state land with
only the small game license and small game season that applys when hunting swine
?

What about tree stand hunting will it apply or not ?

what about baiting the swine , what are the regulations ?

This much needed information was not posted in the D.N.R. press release and
could have an adverse effect to those wanting to participate in this activity .
Just saying you can hunt the swine is not enough , small game loads will not
work in bringing down an animal of this size .

Usually I get a reply that states if I do not hear from the d.n.r. within 48 hrs
it is assumed that i have already figured out what the rules and regulations are
, this is not one of those times .

I will require an answer that can be printed out to take in the feild with me
while hunting swine in my area of gladwin and roscommon .

Thank you ,
lonehunter

Response (Tami Pullen) - 01/08/2007 07:54 AM
Mr. lonehunter,

The feral swine season is an experimental season this year and it goes until
March 31, 2007. You must have a valid hunting license for a current season,
such as small game. Yes, you may possess a rifle or shotgun with rounds
capaable of taking down a feral pig and the swine may only be hunted during the
day light hour. If you are hunting with a bow you may hunt from a tree stand.
Baiting would not be permitted, unless you make the bait inaccessilbe to deer
and elk. Hunt orange would be required regardless of hunting method.
[signature]
that sound like the way I read it to be.

baiting is not realy a problem becuase you are not going to put any thing out that bovine will eat. how ever you will be drawing in bear. Note bear also carry the same deseases as swine.

if you see a wild boar they dont travel far, so if one is spotted or you find their tracks they are not far away.

I would target farm more so than state land, most state lands the hogs have been run off during deer season, not from being hunted but from sheer number of poeple in the woods.

remember hogs are not stupid, they are vary inteligent but still they are lazy they wont leave an area that food and water is available unless chased. in which case it may not return any time soon.

since we are only talking about a few head of swine and not to any great number where there are car/pig axidents, I would rather be on a call list or email list that when one is spotted in a regeon I get a notification so that I can talk to a farmer in the area where I can set up a stake out.

but since you know where there are a couple hiding in the hollar. sounds like you are in good shape. just remember not to shoot a squirl or rabit with a deer rifle becuse you will be prosicuted.... so if you want to be able to shoot long ear chicken pack a shot gun and carry a round or two of buck shot or a slug....
[signature]
Did you note , "[size 1]The feral swine season is an experimental season this year and it goes until March 31, 2007".[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Now , I wonder what new license we will have to apply for next year [crazy] .[/size]
[signature]
judging from the veiw count of this string I would say that the dnr has received a positive responce twards this species as a potential game animal,

now as to how many piggies have actualy been counted (taken) I havent a clue, wished I would have asked that when I sent in my questions. I hate to keep bugging them...

I would be interested in seeing a final report on the subject. Ohio dosnt have a season on them, but you can take them year round. same in Tennessee.

any one been around domestic hogs can tell you that the tame ones can be as dangerous as any wild animal when they get a Pissy attitude. and yes hogs do have attitudes, nothing like the cuticy little arnolds and babe piglets shown in the movies.... the wild ones are twice as mean and twice as fast as a domestic hog. but much leaner....
[signature]
Suw yee ,
suw yee ,
suw ,suw , suw yee .
Just practising for Saturday , tee hee hee ![cool]
[signature]
I put a few miles on saturday , from sun-up till about 2:30 , coyotes , coons, deer , and turkeys was all i came across .
You'de be surprised how many logs look like piggys from a distance , I am now a qualified stalker of downed trees , I can sneek up on them without them noticing me at all [Tongue] .
[signature]