Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nelson Lake Fishing Report!
Nelson Lake Fishing Report

Fished Nelson on Wednesday from 3pm to 5pm. Had the whole lake to myself. I was fishing out of my float tube on the north side by the discharge. Perfect day to be out. The water was pretty calm for the most part. Water temp was in the upper 60s and even low 70s in some spots.

I had a couple of bites when I first got there on a spinnerbait by the shorline near the boat ramp. Tried fishing around the north side of the discharge with no success. At about 4pm I kicked my way across to the south side of the dischare along the rocky bank and threw crankbaits, jigs, soft plastics, and spinnerbaits, all of them with no success.

While I was throwing those a SUV pulled up and a guy got out and asked me how i was doing. Told him that I havent even caught anything. He replied "Well your in the right spot." Then got back in his vehicle and left.

Kicked my way to the east side and saw a school of carp doing there little dance on the surface. I thought it looked like fun so I tied on a crankbait and threw it near it hopeing maybe other fish were in that spot too. Ended up snagging about a 20" carp. I easily removed the hook and he was on his way.

By then it was about 4:30 and it was getting dark fast. I started kicking back to the boat ramp, throwing the same crankbait and a little tiny bass latched on to it. And that was pretty much the end of my fishing.

I dont know how anyother people have been doing out here this winter, but I have caught barely anything. I have tried pretty much all the lures that I regularly catch bass with on other lakes. They just dont seem to work here. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong, maybe not. Nelson is a bit of a mystery to me. I never can seem to get consistancy for catching bass. One day I might have a great day and come back a couple days later and have no bites. I know it could just be the fish or the weather, but on a lake that size with that warm of water temperature something should always be biting.

Sure, you can tie on a bobber and throw it by the discharge and catch panfish all day long, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to catch largemouth bass. I dont like using live bait so that option is out.

When your in nelson on the north side it is very shallow in some spots. Where the heck are the bass? Sure you could find some deeper holes but I've tried and they are simply not in there. The next thing to find would be rock piles, rocky banks, right? On a good day I will maybe catch 3 bass off of those. But one would think I should be catching way more.

I'm no amature bass fisherman by any means. I've been after them for as long as I can remember.

If anyone has the secret to catching fish on this lake please let me in on it.
[signature]
WHY DON'T YOU TRY DOWN SIZING YOUR BAIT , AND GIVE A SLOWER PRESENTATION , THAT SOMETIMES HELPS ! SAY HI TO YOUR DAD .

[signature]
I went back here last thursday and had a much better day.

I caught a lot of bass on a small finesse worm. Then one on a jig and some on a rattle trap.

Great day to be out.

How's MN?
[signature]