Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another wader post....
I bought a pair of Stearns, size large, breathable waders. They fit real good at the store but as soon as I sat in my toon I had a hard time reaching my feet to put my flippers on because there was no stretch to them and the suspenders were all the way out. I don't think of myself as a large person-6'-0" 194 lbs. but the waders were too short. Does anybody know of a company that makes a "LARGE- TALL" breathable wader?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have been using a Columbia Riverlite wader from Sportsmans. Can't find them listed or sold anywhere else. These were designed by Simms and are very good quality for the $80 price tag.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the things I always advise is to take your clothing you plan to wear when you go to buy waders. You may get some "looks" but it is more important to be comfortable and functional than to please the sales people.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the "oversights" most common to tubing and tooning is buying according to your normal clothing sizes. That all goes out the window when you start layering. Try before you buy and you will be happier with the fit and the comfort. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is also good advice for booties and for fins. Start with waders and then buy booties to fit your overstuffed feet. Then, and only then, buy fins that will fit over the whole shebang. Otherwise, you get constriction in cold water and that leads to frozen footsies. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I feel your pain. I wear Orvis Pro Guides(which are on the pricie side, but I guide for Orvis, thus wear their gear).
A Small fits me perfect except the leg length. The Crotch is at my knees, so I went with the Med/tall. I look like the stay puff marshmellow, but they work. The bootie is huge however and I had to buy shoes two sizes larger.
One thing I did however, when people tried on waders, is to make sure they could squat comfortably.
I can give you some brands that are very good and reasonably priced like, Patagonia, Some Simms (which by the way are an incredible fitting wader), Cabela's, LL Bean, and William Joseph.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I was all geared up to be outside in the cold when I tried them on, even the booties fit well. Should've done the squat-Dangit!!![Smile] They didn't have the Columbias in a large when I stopped at Sportsmans, I liked the big pocket on the front of them. Flygoddess, when you said "some Simms" do you mean that some are lesser quality than others?
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Flygoddess, when you said "some Simms" do you mean that some are lesser quality than others?

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]SIMM's There is no such thing as lesser quality[laugh] I mean from $150. (Blackfoot and sorry no big pocket, but very comfortable) to $700. (G4's).
Cabela's is also now carrying the WJ zip ups for $290.
I have had bad experiences with the Hodgemen's breathables and so I never took a second look. They might have improved.
Cabela's has some great waders for reasonable prices.
I will say, don't skimp on the waders, it will come back at you right when you need them the most[crazy][/size][/green][/font]
[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I have a pair of Cabela's Dry plus waders and I lover them. They were on sale for 59 i think last spring. Very comfy. I have even laired pretty think under them as i went up to Strawberry pretty late in the year this year.
[signature]
This may seem silly but how how are the neoprene stockings on the Simms? I've had a pair of Hodgmans for years but I always hated the generic feet on the waders.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Like I said, I had bad experience with Hodgemen's years ago so I can't really remember the booties.
I used a pair of Simm's (the less expensive ones) this summer and I loved how soft they were and the bootie was fantastic. They fit like a dream.
The more expensive waders do have a right and left foot (like my Pro Guides) and they are the best.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]