Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berkley Portable Line spooling station - PLSS.
[black][size 3]Hey folks,

[/size][/black][black][size 3]I thought I would share some information that I received from the manufacturer of a line spooling device that I bought some time ago. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The device is the Berkley Portable Line Spooling Station. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Berkley product [/size][/black][black][size 3]designation PLSS. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]When reading the instructions, it became quite apparent, that even though they are in several languages, they are somewhat incomplete. As I searched the internet for some assistance, I ran into a number of reviews of the product that indicated I was not alone in my confusion as to how the device would be best utilized. Especially in regards to spooling line on a spinning reel. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The information provided for casting reels was ok, and the photos could be use to fill in the gaps. [/size][/black]

[inline "Berkley line spooling station.jpg"]
[black][size 3]But, for spinning reels, there was little to no real information and the photo that I got was misleading to say the least. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][inline "Line Spooler Station.jpg"] [/size][/black]
[size 3][black]That is when I decided to contact Berkley for some clarification. They sent me a couple of prepared documents in an email that did explain some of the issues I found with the PLSS.
[black][/black]
[black]The trouble shooting tips I recieved are very helpfull, and I think Berkley should include these instructions with the product itself.[/black][size 1] [/size][black][size 3]Or, at least place them on their website where more customers could have access to the information. [/size][/black]

[/black]The information supplied by Berkley upon my request is in the following link.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[black][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=20759;"]"PLSS SPINNING REEL SPOOLING.pdf".

[/url][/black][size 3]You can click on the above or, on the last attachment at the bottom of this post.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It is in a PDF (Adobe) format, so I think you will need the Adobe reader for it. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[black][size 3]Here is the document in image format along with some of my 1st hand observations about their comments:
[/size][/black][size 1]
[/size][black][size 3]Image 1:[/size][/black][size 1]

[/size][size 3]In #1 it says to use the small supplied grommets instead of the tensioning cone(corkscrew looking things). These will not fit some spools of line. See also #3.[/size][size 1]
[/size][size 3]In #2 the directions say to use a rubber band to hold the line on the spool, but I have not been able to find the right size of rubber band that will stay put thoughout the whole spooling process. I have tried several sizes of, and different numbers and configurations of rubber bands.[/size][size 1]
[/size][size 3]In #3 if a washer is used, the spool will not remain in a stationary position for spooling spinning reels.[/size][size 1] [/size]

[size 3][/size]
[inline PLSSpage1reduced.JPG]

[black][size 3]Image 2:[/size][/black][size 1]

[/size][black][size 3]In this image, even though the document is specifically supposed to address spinning reels, the picture shows a baitcaster in the reel seat(???).[/size][/black][size 1]

[/size][size 3]In #2 the support shaft needs to be turned 90 degrees - not 45 degrees.[/size][size 1] [/size]

[inline PLSS2reduced.JPG]

[black][size 3]More to come ...[/size][/black]

[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I bought one of those a few years ago. I ended up having the spool end face the reel to avoid line twist on the spinning reels.

They work good at face value for the baitcasters and conventionals as long as you are only using the 1/4lb spools. I made only one more modification to fit the 1 and 5lb spools.[cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey tubeN2,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]What was your modification ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have tried several things to try to get it to work. All I can really say at this point is that it is a good thing that I am an angler and no stranger to frustration.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I will be pointing out my experiences with this device as I go. I will also be including photos for the benefit of those that may also have purchase the PLSS for spooling spinning reels.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]As you mentioned, for casting and conventional reels it works pretty much as advertised. But then again, for those kinds of reels, spooling is pretty much a no brainer. [/size][/black]
[signature]
That does look like a neat gadget, but I can't believe Berkely of all companies would pawn it off to use on spinning reels too. The line is comming off the spool horizontally, and is wrapping on the reel vertically. You'd think those guys would know that it's going to twist the line. The only way you could make it work is if you could some how flip the spool 90 degrees so the top would face the reel, and the line would spool on the same way it's comming off. The only problem with that is the line would get into a tangled mess because there wouldn't be anyway to keep it tight comming off, and the slop would snag on everything.
[signature]
We used to put fat rubber bands around the filler spool to keep the line from spooling off, and to provide minimal tension. But that was having somebody hold the spool sideways, as you mentioned, not the way it is set up by the device. I agree--if you could rotate the spool 90 degrees, then use the fat rubber bands around the spool, you would be good to go. I might even consider picking up one of the gadgets then.
[signature]
Thanks Fishhound, You are about 4 years too late for me. I had to figure that out on my own, back then. I hace spooled alot of reels for the past 4 years and am always finding new ways, rach time. I should wright a book (LOL)
[signature]
[black][size 3]Actually, you are right on the money. The device does allow for that spool arm to be rotated 90 degrees for spinning reels. The photo is totally misleading and as you pointed out, the folks at Berkley should have known better or at least had an angler do some review of the marketing photos and instructions for the product before hand. [/size][/black]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey duke-i,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Better late than never ! Do you have one of these devices ? If so, could you share some of that hard earned knowledge about it ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have only had one for a year or so, and I am still trying to figure out how to use the thing with minimal frustration. That's why I contacted Berkley and asked for clarification on it.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Any other spooling tips and techniques you might have would surely be welcomed by anyone that sees this thread and could use a little assistance with a very common source of frustration that many if no most anglers deal with at some level.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Well, all the more reason berkely should be sending us their product to test out before they get serious about marketing it. LOL [Tongue]

I suppose i'm just use to spooling up reels the old fashioned way. I set the spool on the ground and crank it on. If it's a bait caster, I shove the pencil through the middle and get someone to hold it tight. Besides, there's nothing funnier than seeing the person holding the spool drop it from pain when they forget to put a glove on. Those plastic spools sure can leave a heck of a burn on the outside of your index fingers. [cool]
[signature]
I made extra rods that fit in the same holes but have different bends to them. That allows the spool to face the reel in the same direction that it is coming off.

My modification for the bigger spools is used only for the Conventionals. It allows the spool to stand straight up since it doesn't fit in the small space allowed for the 1/4lb spools.

To do this, requires some 1/4 inch rod, a vice and a good torch.[cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Here are some photos of the actual device as I used it.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]With conventional, level wind, and baitcaster reels, the set up looks like this.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][inline 2007_0112Image0008r.JPG][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]With spinning reels, it looks like this. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][inline 2007_0112Image0006r.JPG][/size][/black]
[size 3][black]Below are some of the included small parts:
[/black]1. In the middle of the photo, there is a single small screw - that along with the piece of plastic that looks kind of like a "Z" holds the line stripper, it is interchangable with the screws that hold in the corkscrew looking spool holding devices. [/size]
[size 3]2. The cork screw looking things(spool tensioners) on the left are the parts that hold the filler spool on the chromed spool holding arm bracket that is on the right of every thing else[/size][size 3].[/size][size 1]
[/size][black][size 3]3. The two grommets under the angled piece that holds the line stripper are the ones in the documet that are supposed to be used for holding the spool while doing spinning reels. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]4. The two reddish round parts in the center of the photo, are parts that I do not know what they do, and they are not mentioned anywhere in the directions or the supplimentary supplied trouble shooting information. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]5. The black odd shaped rubber piece towards the bottom(not included) is one I fashioned to hold the spool bracket steady while spooling.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][inline 2007_0112Image0012r.JPG][/size][/black]
[signature]
This is a very helpful post, thanks for the info
[signature]
That is why we are all here bro. It is better to share the info that we have. [cool]
[signature]
I agree--great post with the photos. Thanks!
[signature]
[black][size 3]Yeah, I'm thinking maybe a career shift. It appears that Berkley may be shy one experienced angler in the position of technical writer or proof-reader. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Yo Berkley - you reading this ? If so, give me a jingle and I'll brush up on my typing and install a spell checker on my PC. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]BTW - I'm also fluent in Spanish and have a fair working knowledge of French, German and a couple of other languages.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I am glad you can use the info. I had the device for a while before I found out how it was supposed to work. At first, I only used it for my casting reels. To spool my spinning reels, I did it the old fashioned way by putting the reel on the floor and cranking the reel slowly. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I still don't have the whole process down to a "T", but that is one of the reasons I posted this. The other reason was to maybe help other folks that might have been trying to figure some of this stuff out too.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Please come by often. It is ok if you wanted to register too. I don't think that the Crappie Steve username has been taken yet so you might want to give it a try.[cool]
[signature]
I'm a little behind on discovering the pitfalls of this better mouse trap. Since I recently purchased the line spooling station I've been trying to find some insight as to it's operation (without having to attend a Berkley school for line spooling). Though my searching I came across this forum and this post. Thanks for clearing up the mystery surrounding the line spooling station.

In your article you mentioned you didn't know the purpose of the red rubber sleeves. I also didn't know at first. However, after closer examination I discovered a simularity with the line stripper red rubber sleeves on the spoolers and the [extra] red rubber sleeves. So if you haven't already discovered this additional undocumented feature, it turns out Berkely at least thought enough to include some replacement sleeves for the line stripper.

To the big one that got away!
[signature]
[#000000][size 4]Hey fish tales,[/size][/#000000]
[#000000][size 4][/size][/#000000]
[#000000][size 4]Welcome to BFT ![/size][/#000000]
[#000000][size 4]And thank you for your input. [/size][/#000000]
[#000000][size 4]Come back and feel free to contribute what and when you can.[/size][/#000000]
[signature]