Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any one here fish professionaly???
I have allways wanted to go pro, but how and where do I start? I know the usual route would be to get into a local fishing club and go from there. But I guess what I'm asking is how easy or hard is it? How can I get sponsered? just how do I get started? Is it even something that I can accomplish?....I'm active duty Air Force right now so I know I'll have to wait to get started....

can anyone help???
[signature]
Just think of how many people love to fish, and how few pros there are--that should give you some idea [Tongue]
However, being as old as I am, and having made a number of career decisions for the wrong reason, I would say, if that's what you truly want to do, then go for it.
[signature]
AF? I was a 3P051, SF. What do you do?

As for your question, it's no joke getting going, unless you have your own money to get started doing it. You earn your sponsers, and in order to do that, they have to see you in action. You really don't need the first sponser as long as you have the money to pay entry fees, buy equipment and gas, have a good boat, hotel fees, etc.. etc...
[signature]
[reply]
AF? I was a 3P051, SF. What do you do?

As for your question, it's no joke getting going, unless you have your own money to get started doing it. You earn your sponsers, and in order to do that, they have to see you in action. You really don't need the first sponser as long as you have the money to pay entry fees, buy equipment and gas, have a good boat, hotel fees, etc.. etc... [/reply]
Im a Firefighter
[signature]
You may want to start out tackle testing. I do alot of that myself.

I was working for the County FD for several years and had the mornings and evenings available to test all kinds of stuff.

I did many tests for Rods, Reels, Line, Hooks, weights and accessories. I got to keep everything I tested and got paid for it. If I decided to go Pro, I know who would back me up with equipment.

I'm hoping to do a test for Ranger someday. That way I could trade in my old Ranger for a new one.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
You may want to start out tackle testing. I do alot of that myself.

I was working for the County FD for several years and had the mornings and evenings available to test all kinds of stuff.

I did many tests for Rods, Reels, Line, Hooks, weights and accessories. I got to keep everything I tested and got paid for it. If I decided to go Pro, I know who would back me up with equipment.

I'm hoping to do a test for Ranger someday. That way I could trade in my old Ranger for a new one.[cool] [/reply]
[signature]
I don't understand your reply. It is in the form of a quote. Did you have anything to add to the thread??[cool]
[signature]
sorry it didnt show. I was just wondering how would i go about testing tackle?
[signature]
It is kind of tricky to get started but once you are in, then everyone wants a piece of you.

Occasionally there are things to test on the "Tackle Testing" board here at BFT. That could be one way to build up your "Tackle worthyness"

Other companies will eventuall see the results of your test with reports and pictures. That could spark their interest in having you test other things for them.

The other companies will set the guidelines for the test.

It will usually involve using their products for a certain amount of fishing trips, reporting on it with pictures. (Make sure that the sponsors product shows in the pic)

They will then tell you to keep the product and send you a check for some good amount depending on the type and length of the test.

You will notice that your tackle collection will grow over time.

I now have over 260 rods, 185 reels, thousands of yds of fishing line, a few hundred pounds of different types of sinkers, enough hooks to last me a life time of all sizes, lures, swivels, bobbers, plastic worms and grubs, rod holders, storage racks, tackle boxes and many more products just for doing a few silly tests that got noticed by the right people at the right time.

To this date, I have also received 3 boat covers for my Ranger but I have yet to see a "New" Ranger bass boat show up for a test.[cool]
[signature]
I'm sure testing has slowed a bit since it is winter. I'll also keep an eye on the board, as I am somewhat interested as well.
[signature]
Acually on the West Coast, the fishing is active all year. There are only limitations on species that can be kept but you can still do the good ole CPR=Catch, Photograph and Release.

I release most of what I catch anyways. I mostly fish for fun unless there is a special species to be caught that can fill the plate for that night.

I am not fond of frozen fish so I only take what I can consume within 2 days so that it is fresh.[cool]
[signature]
Special species eh? I smell a new thread comming on. [cool]
[signature]
Yeah, well, rub it in...[Tongue]
I suppose if I had more time I would hit the hard water, then there wouldn't be that lull in the action.
[signature]
I see that you jumped on that one quickly!![cool]
[signature]
I sure miss the hard water....................But then again, I guess I am able to enjoy the softwater, fresh or salt all year long.[cool]
[signature]
What little ocean fishing I have done, I have enjoyed immensely. I fished mostly in the Florida area with my grandfather. The best thing about it was using a nondescript lure/jig, and not having any idea of what was on the other end until you got it to the boat.

I also ate puh-lenty of seafood while in Belize a couple of years ago. I remember eating grouper that was so meaty and mild it tasted like chicken! I would really enjoy the ocean fishing in so cal if for no other reason than to eat my catch, as you had mentioned. [cool]
[signature]
If you ever get out this way, let me know. I can get you hooked up on some of my favorite spots for fresh and saltwater.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks! I have a buddy down in San Clemente I can stay with, actually my ex-brother-in-law. Any fishing down that way, or are you mostly up in the LA area?
[signature]
There is plenty of fishing down there. I pretty much fish the whole coast from Central California all the way down to San Diego.

There is alot going on the whole coast.[cool]
[signature]
Well, I should look further into it, then. I imagine I would be able to rent some decent tackle in San Clemente. I know I have seen people fishing off Torrey Pines, actually at the north end of Black's beach, south end of Torrey. I saw some ginormous shadows of fish out in the surf from the vantage points up in the park--assumed they were sharks.

At any rate, will definitely be looking into this more and will stay in touch. Thanks again!
[signature]