Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
saltwater fishing Q....
Hey every one. I have never fished saltwater, but I might try it soon. I wanted to ask everone why is it great? what makes it great for you?
[signature]
Mmmm, there are loads of answers to that question.

1. Infinate Diversity
2. Availibility of huge fish in different species
3. It's more dangerous
4. It takes advanced knowledge to target certain species.
In other words, lets take bass fishing for instance. Though it can get complicated, it's pretty much cut and dry. You can explain to someone how to catch a bass. Now, compare that to explaining how to target Wahoo in the ocean. The only true way is to experiance it. Sure I can tell you what baits seem to work best and when, and what depth to run. But it all changes all the time. Opperating down riggers and outriggers, adjusting trolling speed and depth. On constant lookout with your electronics so you don't miss something important like a sudden thermocline or bait pod. And there's so much more to it, nothing you could be explained over the phone and instantly go out and catch one; much lessly a dozen.
5. There's always a shark around when nothing else is biting.
6. Excitement factor! You've not been fishing until you hook into a 60 pound Great Barracuda and it sky rockets over your boat, missing your head by only inches. The blazing spead, acrobats, and sheer strength of ocean fish is incredible.
[signature]
[reply]
Mmmm, there are loads of answers to that question.

1. Infinate Diversity
2. Availibility of huge fish in different species
3. It's more dangerous
4. It takes advanced knowledge to target certain species.
In other words, lets take bass fishing for instance. Though it can get complicated, it's pretty much cut and dry. You can explain to someone how to catch a bass. Now, compare that to explaining how to target Wahoo in the ocean. The only true way is to experiance it. Sure I can tell you what baits seem to work best and when, and what depth to run. But it all changes all the time. Opperating down riggers and outriggers, adjusting trolling speed and depth. On constant lookout with your electronics so you don't miss something important like a sudden thermocline or bait pod. And there's so much more to it, nothing you could be explained over the phone and instantly go out and catch one; much lessly a dozen.
5. There's always a shark around when nothing else is biting.
6. Excitement factor! You've not been fishing until you hook into a 60 pound Great Barracuda and it sky rockets over your boat, missing your head by only inches. The blazing spead, acrobats, and sheer strength of ocean fish is incredible. [/reply]
[signature]
Even with what Tarpon4me stated, there are some variables as well.

You can target specific species and still be surprised when something else takes your line or even a bigger species takes you target from you.

I also like shark fishing. Sometimes Skates and Rays may take your bait. Other times something else will take your bait and then a shark will take it.

You can use some of the same gear for freshwater but it is still better to have "Other" rigs available.

Heavier lb test and sturdier sticks are a must as well as reels that can handle what you are fishing for.

If you are the sporty type, there should be no problem landing big fish on the lighter tackle.

Good luck and Happy Fishing.
[signature]
I dont know why but every time i hit quote my message never shows... anyways I wanted to ask about tarpon, red fish and snook. I always see on the fishing shows these fish whats it like to fish for those? can you comepare them to anything I might know?
[signature]
Mmmm, that's kinda tricky. OK

Tarpon: Tarpon have the acrobats of a Large mouth bass and combined with the strength an power of what a 150 pound Musky would have.

Red Drum: Imagine the brute strength of a carp combined with the speed of a striped bass.

Snook: Mmmm, i'm going to need a little help on this one. I've never caught or actually seen a snook before.
[signature]
I think the bottom line is if you have a chance to fish salt, don't let it pass you by. I fish 80% sweet and 20% salt when the fish are in and biteing. I fish to catch fish in what every season has to offer.
[signature]
If you hit the reply button then you can type straight out. If you hit the "Quote" button then you need to type your comment directly under it.[cool]
[signature]
more fish, bigger fish, tastier fish, the eminint possibility of death, more eye candy on the beach[Wink]
[signature]
Dang it! How could I forget the beach bunnies? Good catch on that one troll boy.
[signature]
Always looking for the silver lining in things.
[signature]
Beach Bunnies?? Eye Candy??? We have 17 different species of Crabs on the West Coast. Only one of them walks upright on 2 legs.[cool]
[signature]
[laugh][sly][laugh][sly][laugh][sly] LOL Thanks for bringing that into perspective for us. [Wink]
[signature]
Yes a 200 lb+ yellowfin tuna taking your line and its almost spools
you, then he turns around heading for you. Then the real battle starts getting its head heading towards the boat. Then the gaff can be really exciting trying to coax him towards the gaffs !
[signature]
A good sized Tuna can always be a good treat with the right gear. Thanks for the input.[cool]
[signature]
You're right on with the Tuna. My favorite part of catching tuna is the "sashimi" that shortly follows. [cool]
[signature]
Have you ever tried the Mud Marlin?? They put up a good fight too and you don't have to bow down to them either.[cool]
[signature]
Well, you can make those smaller target species alot more fun to catch by simply down sizing your tackle. I do that even for the larger species.

Take the Atlantic Spade fish for instance. They average about 3 or 4 pounds, and can get in excess of 15 pounds. Doesn't sound like much does it? But I can promise, these little scrappers can snap 20 pound tackle like it's nothing. You can't always go by fish size, there are some smaller fish with big game balls. Spanish mackerel, sheephead, and even large black sea bass have incredible power. I also know that bonefish and snook are quite speedy and take incredible skill to target.

If you find yourself getting bored catching fish, down size your tackle until it becomes sporty and fun. You'd be surprised what a little light line can do.[cool]
[signature]