Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why not a streamer?
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Maybe I have missed it - but it doesn't seem like too many of our friends here are prone to using streamers. Personally I'm inclined to fish drys. However, when the surface is quiet I will switch to a streamer. After all bait fish are a major portion of the bigger fish's diet. Since most of my fishing here in SoCal is on lakes if I hook into a LMB that's cool. I don't discriminate against any particular species. So what is your take on this scenario?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]Streamers and a nymph trailer.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[center][Wink][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I don't own a trailer. Will a wagon do? LOL[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#bf0000][size 5][cool]LMAO[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][/size][/#bf0000][/font]
[signature]
Streamers are used by me probably 90% of the time.
[signature]
I use streames 2% of the time.

I find them very tiring to cast for an extended day.
[signature]
I use them when i have to.
[signature]
I prefer to use the Streamer when I am fishing for LMB or larger Bluegills. I also use Streamers in the ocean for certain species that also go after bait fish.[cool]
[signature]
I have found that some attractor or nondescript patterns work as well as a streamer and are easier to tie. They can also be more versatile to fish, with varied depth and retrieval. E.g. black or olive woollie bugger, especially when some pheasant tail is used for a case.
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]Streamers and a nymph trailer.[/size][/black][/font] [/reply]
Ill volunteer to be your nymph trailer....hehehe
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]Mac, we are going to get you up to the "H" this year for the BFH. I am even figuring on buying a new motor and battery and adapting it to the Echo. Should be a piece of cake, but might need to add the Float Power, cause of the 4 foot pontoons. You will be motorized so you can buzz around Shelly, ha, ha, ha,ha[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]Mac, we are going to get you up to the "H" this year for the BFH. I am even figuring on buying a new motor and battery and adapting it to the Echo. Should be a piece of cake, but might need to add the Float Power, cause of the 4 foot pontoons. You will be motorized so you can buzz around Shelly, ha, ha, ha,ha[Wink][/size][/green][/font] [font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][/size][/#008000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][/size][/#008000][/font][#000080]I will do my best to be at the BFH on "H"...but I do have to finish getting the other 3/4's of my rig...lol...taking time so I dont buy the wrong stuff...[unimpressed][/#000080]
[#000080]but have to admit "buzzing" around you and shelly does sound kind of fun...lol...[/#000080]
[#000080][/#000080]
[#000080]MacFly[/#000080] [/reply]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]Think Positive! Remember, I have my own store of gear LOL[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[#0000bf]FG,

I know you have your cache of gear..lol... Ill keep my fingers and toes crossed and keep the faith as you suggest...

MacFly
[/#0000bf]

[signature]
I think that Poky mon and I already have a game plan for when you guys come to SoCali. Do you plan on bringing that motorized thingy with you???
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Sorry to say, we aren't coming. Wish we were, but Poky-mon is my Brother in-law. So he and the OTHER SISTER are the ones. Show him how to do it and watch your beer![laugh][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I'm with you Scruffy Fly. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Especially, if the streamers are on the larger side. Most of my fly fishing is on a 3 or 4 weight rod with dries or tiny nymphs. Streamers sure do work well, however, the effort to keep one in the air long enough to get it someplace seems to detract something from the overall experience of fly casting. The nearly meditative aspect of casting itself is a huge part of fly fishing for me. And, dodging the heavy and soggy X/0 hooks that slapped the water behind me on the backcast, makes me think that I would be safer using a trebuchet. Maybe it's just my casting skills that are really wanting. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]If I need to throw something big at fish to get them interested, I have hardware-a-plenty to do that without getting tired of tossing or making my fishing experience into an olympic workout. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Not to be waxing too blasphemous on this board, but, I have the equivalent of broom sticks and winches that I can throw well over a pound or two of offering to my favorite denisons of the deep to entice them - and, the stuff I have would probably only be considered moderate by someone like tubeN2 and those other salt water anglers that hang out around here. [/size][/black]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]I have been tying some #10, 12 & 14 streamers. As soon as the winds calm down will give them go. However, a 6wt will be my choice. My next rod size is a 4wt which should handle a 14 but not much more.
[/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
[reply]
[black][size 3]I'm with you Scruffy Fly. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Especially, if the streamers are on the larger side. Most of my fly fishing is on a 3 or 4 weight rod with dries or tiny nymphs. Streamers sure do work well, however, the effort to keep one in the air long enough to get it someplace seems to detract something from the overall experience of fly casting. The nearly meditative aspect of casting itself is a huge part of fly fishing for me. And, dodging the heavy and soggy X/0 hooks that slapped the water behind me on the backcast, makes me think that I would be safer using a trebuchet. Maybe it's just my casting skills that are really wanting. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]..............[/size][/black][black][size 3] [/size][/black] [/reply]

Fishhound:

with a 3 or 4 wt one think that would help is if you used baby buggers.

This might interest you:

[#800040][url "http://www.invictaflies.us/Articles/mini_streamers.htm"]http://www.invictaflies.us/Articles/mini_streamers.htm[/url][/#800040]

also see the article it refers to.

But even using small stuff my arm gets worn out quickly. If I was more successful getting some attention with buggers my arm might not wear out so quickly.

dB
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Now one shouldn't have any trouble casting one of these dudes with a 3wt. do you think?[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=20970;][/center]
[signature]