Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late season tag filled
Thanks to Bearclaw (and his snowmobile) I was able to shoot my first elk on Sunday the 14th. It was way cold, -9 in the morning. I've never seen so much wildlife on any other hunt. Bearclaw has eyes like an eagle, being able to pick out deer, elk, and moose among brush and trees so far out that I would need my binoculars. It was amazing how big elk are up close. Minus the guts and legs she weighed in at 345 lbs. Bearclaw truly is worthy of being the Moderator of the hunting board, he really knows his stuff. When we saw the cows I hesitated because it was a long shot for me and they dissapeared but a few minutes later he put me right on top of them.
[inline "cow elk Jan. 07 0081.jpg"]
[inline "cow elk Jan. 07 0091.jpg"]
[inline "cow elk Jan. 07 0121.jpg"]
[signature]
Way to go! Where was your tag for? Middle Fork?
[signature]
Chalk Creek, East Coalville
[signature]
What a great day! Started out a little on the chilly side and ended up being quite nice ( a balmy 9 degrees). Watching you get your first elk was worth every minute. It made it even more special
that you shot her with your late Granpa's gun! Way to go John!
[signature]
Way to go plumberscrack.... i need to go on my first hunt with chad.
[signature]
good ol Bearclaw, he is both a sprotsman and a scollar [cool]

congrats on your elk, hope you were able to make the disision to turn the hide a tropy with the hair on... they make exclent bead spreds, wall hangings, and couch tapestries, R expencive tho'
[signature]
Nice Cow Elk, It looks cold.. Was the ice on the roads anything like last year up there?
[signature]
Howdy Cousin,
Fortunately the roads were in good shape with almost no ice, otherwise things may have gone a little different. Lets go to the cabin here in the next few weeks. What do ya say?
[signature]
Good going! I got my second ever cow this past December up in Henefer. They sure are fun to hunt. Looks like you got a good hit on her. I shot mine in the lungs so I wouldnt ruin any meat and then she decided to take a leap of faith and try to jump a 100+ foot ravine. Needless to say she didn't make it and crashed into the rocks at the bottom of the ravine, severely breaking her legs, and spine. Yes, it also ruined most of the meat on the front legs. Didn't loose the backstraps or hind quarters though. I guess next time I will have to go back to shooting them in the front shoulder so they can't run away.
[signature]
Oh Travis, you know the best place to shoot an antlerless animal![sly]
They don't MOVE!!!
[signature]
Brody, I did try that on the first shot but at 250 yards she was a little far out for me and I missed it. So then I went for the ribs on the second shot.
[signature]
Ok, 250 is out there a ways. Your off the hook THIS time.[cool]
It is just as easy to hit the center of the broadside of a barn as it is the center of a cow elks head.[Wink] I gotta give ya crap man, i am board.
[signature]