Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berkley Portable Line spooling station - PLSS.
[size 3]Hey folks,[/size]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I thought I would share some information that I received from the manufacturer of a line spooling device that I bought some time ago. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The device is the Berkley Portable Line Spooling Station. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Berkley product [/size][/black][black][size 3]designation PLSS. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]When reading the instructions, it became quite apparent, that even though they are in several languages, they are somewhat incomplete. As I searched the internet for some assistance, I ran into a number of reviews of the product that indicated I was not alone in my confusion as to how the device would be best utilized. Especially in regards to spooling line on a spinning reel. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The information provided for casting reels was ok, and the photos could be use to fill in the gaps. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[inline "Berkley line spooling station.jpg"]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3]But, for spinning reels, there was little to no real information and the photo that I got was misleading to say the least.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[inline "Line Spooler Station.jpg"]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]That is when I decided to contact Berkley for some clarification. They sent me a couple of prepared documents in an email that did explain some of the issues I found with the PLSS.
[black][/black]
[black]The trouble shooting tips I recieved are very helpfull, and I think Berkley should include these instructions with the product itself.[/black][/size] [size 3][black]Or, at least place them on their website where more customers could have access to the information. [/black][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]---[/size]

[size 3]Here is the document in image format along with some of my 1st hand observations about their comments:[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][black]Image 1:[/black][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]In #1 it says to use the small supplied grommets instead of the tensioning cone(corkscrew looking things). These will not fit some spools of line. See also #3.[/size]
[size 3]In #2 the directions say to use a rubber band to hold the line on the spool, but I have not been able to find the right size of rubber band that will stay put thoughout the whole spooling process. I have tried several sizes of, and different numbers and configurations of rubber bands.[/size]
[size 3]In #3 if a washer is used, the spool will not remain in a stationary position for spooling spinning reels.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][black][inline PLSSpage1reduced.JPG][/black][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Image 2:[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][black]In this image, even though the document is specifically supposed to address spinning reels, the picture shows a baitcaster in the reel seat(???).[/black][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]In #2 the support shaft needs to be turned 90 degrees - not 45 degrees.[/size]
[black][size 3][inline PLSS2reduced.JPG][/size]
---

[/black][size 3]Below are some photos of the actual device as I used it.[/size][size 1]
[black][/black]
[black][/black]
[/size][black][size 3]With conventional, level wind, and baitcaster reels, the set up looks like this.[/size][/black][size 1] [/size]
[inline 2007_0112Image0008r.JPG]

[size 3]With spinning reels, it looks like this.[/size]
[inline 2007_0112Image0006r.JPG]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Below are some of the included small parts:[/size]
[size 3]1. In the middle of the photo, there is a single small screw - that along with the piece of plastic that looks kind of like a "Z" holds the line stripper, it is interchangable with the screws that hold in the corkscrew looking spool holding devices. [/size]
[size 3]2. The cork screw looking things(spool tensioners) on the left are the parts that hold the filler spool on the chromed spool holding arm bracket that is on the right of every thing else[/size][size 3].[/size]
[black][size 3]3. The two grommets under the angled piece that holds the line stripper are the ones in the documet that are supposed to be used for holding the spool while doing spinning reels. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]4. The two reddish round parts in the center of the photo, are parts that I do not know what they do, and they are not mentioned anywhere in the directions or the supplimentary supplied trouble shooting information. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]5. The black odd shaped rubber piece towards the bottom(not included) is one I fashioned to hold the spool bracket steady while spooling.[/size][/black]
[inline 2007_0112Image0012r.JPG]

[black][size 3]Anyone else have one of these devices ? If so, what is your experience with using it ?[/size][/black]
[signature]
Good to know. I have one of those and have fought it trying to spool a spinning reel.
I ended up with someone holding the line for me.
Thanks for the info.
[signature]
I have one, but I don't think I've used it with my spinning reels yet. I need to respool a couple of them though so I appreciate the info. You're right about the instructions being vague. I probably would've just tried it the same way you would with a baitcaster and ended up with some major line twist.
[signature]
I noticed the complaint of wrong size grommet for some reels.
Here are a couple sources of the same inexpensive lifetime supply of 180 grommets of many sizes which everybody sooner or later will use, it is also sold at other discount hardwares:

http://www.harborfreight.com/180-piece-h...67582.html

http://www.amazon.com/180-Piece-Rubber-G...ds=GROMMET
[signature]