Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes your skin crawl?
Of all the creatures you could encounter while doing your favorite outdoor sport or simply just in your home, what are you affraid of the most? Is it an alligator? Spider? Snake? Inquireing minds wanna know. [cool]
[signature]
My creepy crawly is probably going to surprise many of you. I've always loved reptiles, so it's not snakes or gators. Spiders don't bother me or nothing like that. My fear and I think they are just discusting are Roaches. YAHhhhdjipofjweoip!!!!! Just the thought of a roach comming in contact with my skin just makes me cringe. No fear factor for me. [Tongue]
[signature]
roaches don't bother me as long as they are not in my house. I hate nasty slimmy maggots. I spent six years working maintenance in a rendering plant and could never get used to maggots. I can deal with prettymuch any thing else.
I would have to go with spiders on this one. Don't know what it is, but those things creep me out. Nothing like standing thigh deep in strong current and having a spider crawl out of your waders...

As far as all around pain in the neck, though I don't live in an area that has them anymore, I would have to say chiggers and seed ticks are quite undesirable little passengers...[unimpressed]
[signature]
Awake not much, well maybe that time I was bank fishing in heavy brush and later as I was driving home I felt something crawling on my chest. I looked down the inside of my shirt to only see about 20 ticks crawling all over. Almost wrecked on that one. But what creeps me out the most is when your sleeping and you feel something crawl/run across your arm or leg or face. I can go from a dead sleep to turning on the light switch across the room in about 2 seconds.
[signature]
in both cases it is my wolf, in the boat she eats my fish, in the house she drinks my gin... [Tongue]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Nothing really makes my skin crawl or creeps me out, but the thing I dread more than anything in the outdoors is a skunk ! I have my hounds with me most of the time, and an encounter with a skunk can be nothing but a loosing proposition.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Speaking of spiders...........When I was deployed to the middle east, there was a spider there called a "Camel Spider." They are huge and look alot like a teranchula. Anyhoo, that's not what freaks you out. During the hot part of the day, it's like 120 degrees. These spiders chase you around all day trying to stay in your shadow to keep cool. I'm serious, it really screwed me up the first time one started chasing me around. I thought he was after me! [sly]

There are also lizards over there we called "dub dubs." LOL, we called them dub dubs because that was the sound it made when we ran them over with the hummers. "DUB DUB>" [Tongue]
[signature]
Dude, I simply couldn't handle the spider thing. I'd be section 8 in a week.
[signature]
Snakes. Definitely snakes. I don't know what it is about them, because nothing else really bothers me, but snakes freak me out. Every time I see one, I have to kill it. The worst is standing mid thigh in a river and seeing a water moccasin swimming your way...
[signature]
Though I don't share your fear of snakes, i'm not a big fan of water moccasins. They are a mean snake. I've had them chase me around before, LOL, of course that didn't last long. When they chase me, they soon catch a bullet in the head. [Wink]

Generally, i'll leave them alone unless they get into my personal space, which for a snake, is about 15 yards. I can take a snakes head off at 15 yards with my pistol [cool]
[signature]
Yeah, that sounds about right. What kind of pistol are you carrying? I just bought a new .45, but haven't killed any snakes with it yet. My .40 has busted more than a few heads though.

As for water moccasins, they are by far the worst of them all. One time my ex and I were out frogging on the Neches river. I was working the spotlight and the motor, and she was working the frog gigger. Anyway she leaned out of the boat to get after this big old bullfrog and when she did she grabbed ahold of a tree limb that turned out to be a water moccasin! Needless to say the next couple of minutes were really exciting.
[signature]
I carry a Rossi .357 revolver w/ synthetic stocks. I usually have it with me on the river or when I go camping. It's a good, dependable pistol. [cool]
[signature]
Spiders top my list, a buddy of mine has a pic of him holding one of those camel spiders. The thing looks like jurasic park stuff, about a 12" span on the legs. If that came at me I think I'd be like one of those fainting goats. "Pucker the hole and pass out".

The thing that really makes my skin crawl is part time guides that call themselves captains. If you can't do it full time then U just aren't that good. If I offended anyone, I'm sorry, sorry you just can't make it. Most of the part-timers in my area just give the working class guides a bad reputation.

Ok, I'm going to take my medication now. lol
[signature]
Geez, you're hurt my sensitive little fishing heart [Sad] LOL [Wink]

Well, i'm no fulltime Charter Captain, but i'm definately a fulltime angler and tournament chaser. But, i've got the feeling your comment is directed to the part time anglers in your particular area that just don't get the job done.

Some of the best anglers I know aren't coast guard certified, never set foot on a charter boat, but can catch fish when no one else can. They grew up on the water, fished it thier whole life, and are highly respected in the fishing community.

In my humble opinion, I feel any angler that for one, skippers a vessel, and does so on a professional level qualifies as the sterotypical "Captain." Though his level of success may be what other captains judge his skill by, he is, none the less, the captain of his boat. Besides, a captain is someone much more than a person who can catch fish. He can bring the boat home safely when the ocean turns big and unforgiving. A captain puts the lives and safety of those on board before all else. He can navigate channels and inlets, and is competent in all functions and levels of performance for his boat. In other words, the ability to tame the sea is what makes someone a captain. The ability to tame the fish is what makes them an angler. I try hard not to get the two Confused. [cool]
[signature]
T4me,
You hit the nail on the head, we have many people who own a boat get a license and say "I'm a captain". Sadly many of them take too many risks, don't fully follow the laws, and it too many cases put their clients at risk. It pains me to think some people get their first taste of fishing from one of the pay me and shut up types.

Back to the real topic..........
[signature]
i have a bug fobia i hate all bugs.... they dont scare me i just prefer them not to be on me.... another weird thing about me is i have a fobia of small boats the getting in them that is..... i need a bass boat to go into the water not a jon boat or a canoe...... if i get my friends to build up my head enough then ill get in one and not worry about it to much but i just dont like being in a small boat in the water lol
[signature]
[Image: chit_chat.gif][size 1] What makes your skin crawl?[red] When I was a young lass in Oregon - my brother & I were down at the creek and there were lots of water snakes - they didn't really make my skin crawl as long as I knew where they were. The fishing was slow and we were moving upstream to another hole and my brother gets the idea to snag a good three foot water snake. So he hooks one and reels up the snake to the end of his rod and then in a split second he decides to cast that snake directly at me from about 20 feet away. I about crapped me britches as this snake come flying at me at high speed - [unsure] -- I bring my pole up to block the on-coming serpent but it still manages to hit me in the waist. Then my brother does the quick reel in and re-casts but by now I am running up the middle of the creek by now. [/red][/size]
[size 1][red][/red][/size]
[size 1][red]That little adventure still comes to mind and makes my skin crawl whenever I see some water snakes...[/red][/size]
[signature]
I hear you on that Skipper. We have to many of those type out here in Cali. In the freshwater and the Salt. If they are at the helm, whether it be a yacht or a Zodiac, they feel that they are the invincible Captain of the body of water in which they are riding on.

I worked at a county FD for 7 years doing water rescue to those type of Captains. Since they were mostly beer drinkers in the boating accidents, the call would come in to go save "Captain Bubbly"[shocked]
[signature]
You know what used to scare the hell out of me? Just knowing that there are Kamikazi Palmeto bugs flying around and crash into your face when you are not looking.[shocked]
[signature]