Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night Fishing
We have all heard that nightfishing can be great for many species, but what species is the best to target at night? Or is night fishing even worth staying up late for.....

I have mixed views, what do you all think??
[signature]
If you are freshwater fishing, there is still plenty of night fishing to do depending on whether you are fishing a river, stream, lake or pond.

From experience, the most prominant night species to stalk would be the Catfish. Other species are sought after as well but I have done more, friends of mine have done more, Catfishing.

There are some areas where people will also target Carp at night.

Just like many species, they are a little more slow and lethargic when the sun goes down. A tasty meal will still be on their minds though.

I know there is probably some more bass fishermen out there like me that also target the Bucketmouths around the full moon phases. Heck, sometimes I target them at night during all phases of the moon. They will hit too and are very aggresive at times.

I won't even get into the fish that are caught at night in the Saltwater. They are numerous and still lots of fun.[cool]
[signature]
Like tubn2 relayed, catfish are more active at night. During the day, they like to hang out in the deep holes or buried in structure. At night, they move out of the deep holes and, with darkness to hide them, look for prey. This is why you'll never see a bush hook tied in the middle of the river or lake. For one thing, there are no bushes in the middle of the lake. LOL Two, that's not where the fish are at night. The catch 22 to this is that you can catch them just as efficiently during the day if you know where to look.[Wink]

Another species of fish that is a night feeder is crappie. You can ride under a bridge at night and turn on your lanterns; toss a bobber rig with a minnow on the other end and lay a whoopin' to some crappie. [cool]
[signature]
We used to fish for big browns at night, on the southfork of the Snake in eastern Idaho. We went during and close to a full moon phase. That was for our benefit, though, since we were sometimes wading Smile

We hooked and landed several big fish, but I don't know that it was worth staying up for. I think I noticed that the browns kind of shut off their day feeding around full moon, and that is what prompted me to go out at night, but I don't know that there is any credence to that the theory that they are feeding at night during a full moon phase. I think they may just slow down all together for a couple of days around the full moon.
[signature]
[cool] here in Louisiana we night fish for bass, crappie, and catfish
[signature]
I primarily target after dark,

Walleye
Crappie
Large Mouth Bass
Cat Fish
Salmon
Stergeon

I catch dog fish, but not nessisarily targeting them
[signature]
[black][size 3]Catfish mostly, then followed by walleye, and brown trout. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Like for anything else, It can be worth it to stay up, but that would be up to the individual .[/size][/black]
[signature]
There you go my friend. I only listed the species in my area. Others have listed the species in their area.

What do you have in your area?? Now we can get into some of the extra tips and tricks to help you catch them at night.

Good luck and Happy Fishing.[cool]
[signature]
does anyone have any good tips and stuff on fishing for bass at night??

a couple of years ago or whenever they came out with that terminator spinnerbait that was supposed to be used at night, i started using a spinnerbait by a stump at about midnight and there was a street light over it and i pulled in a 5 pound bass. but ever since then i havn't had the best of luck, because either its just boring and i cant see what i'm doing like in the daylight or the mosquitos are way too bad haha
[signature]
Top water crankbaits are fine at night time. Sometimes you need something to really get their attention, other times you need stealth.

What area are you fishing?? Perhaps I can give you some pointers that are specific to that area.[cool]
[signature]
like he said, just add some stick on glow in the dark buttons to a jitter bug and it will look and sound like a frog swimming with a fire fly in his mouth... that aught to draw thier attention...
[signature]
to be honest, I fish for bass only two hours after dark and two hours before sunrise and on nights with full moons, other wise I am trolling...
[signature]
[cool] for bass we usually use a black spinnerbait, buzzbait or black/blue worm.
for crappie we usually hang a light over the water or have a 12vdc floating light.
[signature]
hey bassngal
Do you use texas rigged worms for catching bass at night?
and where at would you fishing, like cover or no cover..
[signature]
[cool] we usually fish texas rig when fishing with a worm. we like to fish around coontail moss with buzzbait or frog. we try to find a deep channel (could be 5-20 ft.) next to shallows. the big fish like to go from deep to shallow to feed and don't want to have to swim very far to get shallow.
[signature]
haha do you use flood lights or something?? because i've just never had the patience to sit there at night and fish in the dark when i can't see much of whats going on with my bait and line. i've tried night fishing around cover that i could see for bass but i've never had any luck from it.
[signature]
The floating light looks like a flood light but runs on 12volts dc and has styrofoam around the light so that it will float. costs about 10 bucks. put it out and they will come!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (bait fish which brings crappie and bass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
[signature]
i use an LED headlamp when i nightfish. i like to go during a full moon too, and sometimes dont need a lot of light. brown trout and cutts both hit well at night. (the cutts especially during a full moon!) i use dark flies, like wooly buggers and the fish go nuts for them on the surface. that surface action is a lot of fun!
[signature]