Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walther P-22
I'm sure that anyone who is a fan of tactical firearms has fired a walther P-22 at some point in time; and if you haven't, shame on you.

There is a catch 22 with this sporty little .22, it doesn't like cheap rounds. I've noticed that loading up with cheap ammo is asking for a jam. Federal seems to work best from my experiance. I can rapid fire with that brand round and never have any stovepipes. Curious what this little 300 dollar wonder looks like?

[url "http://www.waltheramerica.com/firearms/p22.cfm#"][Image: P22_3_B_sm.jpg][/url]

Not only does it look cool, you can get a silencer for it, lazer sight, and a flashlight mount. The only thing I don't like about it is the clip release. The base of the trigger guard swivels and if you look close, you can see where the clip release is. It's kinda goofy, especially if you're trying to do a rapid reload. All in all, a really cool firearm.[cool]
[signature]
I be shamed then,,,

sure looks nice, just dont use it as personal protection, you will only get a thug pissed off at ya if you pull it on him and he can reconize the barrol diamiter. [laugh]

looks like a nice little varmet gun. is it a short, long or long rifle?

My First .22 caliber is a lemon... spelled "LLama".

I figured with a 8 inch barrol and revolver you couldnt hardly go wrong... boy was I mistaken there, the rear site is spring loaded, every time you fire the gun the rear site moved. I didnt realize it for the first couple years because I took it out rabbit hunting, and lets face it, unless you got the time to do some stompin how many rabits dose a man walk up on in a city park?

So I would get off about 2-3 shots per year... after the 5 rabbit I got a little ticked. I missed it sitting still 10 feet away...

aperently the rear sites moved every time I put and pulled the gun from my holster. didnt know that then either. I found a tin can while on a buddies farm and did a little target praticing. grabbed my pocket knife to reset the site and axidently bumped the rear site with thum and it moved!

I tryed to unload it for a couple years, no dealer would touch it. said it was garbage. I got ticked at it and just removed the ajustable part of the rear site, now all it gets to do is go to the range to fire off old amo. I have to admit tho' it shoots much better now than it did with the site on it... at least the front barol dosnt move around....LOL

selecting a good hand gun is imperitive, you want one that functions properly, otherwise you will not only look like you dont know what your doing, you could hurt some one with stray rounds.

I take my guns and firing them seriously. Yes I still enjoy pinging cans.

Ruger makes a nice little .22 pea shooter, I am sure you have seen it, looks something like a 007 spy gun....

sweet shooting little tool, quiet, no silancer available for it, at least not the year modles I have seen. If I had the cash when I bought the llama I would have gotten that one, I lived in a bad neighborhood at the time and it took me 4 years to get my first hand gun permit. so when I got it, I bought the first one I could rap my paycheck on.

to bad that llama will have to go to smelting pot,

I was thinking about getting another hand gun, I was wondering what some one would suggest for white tail?
[signature]
Mmmm, a .22 might not have the knock down power of a high caliber round, but it has no less stopping power. Picture this. At close range, you get shot with a high powered firearm. Chances are it goes clean through. At that same range, with a .22, you could take one in the chest, and by the time it gets done playing ping pong in your rib cage, it's liable to come out of your leg. At close range, your survival rate is much less with a low power round. At a distance, of course, you're right on. You need the power to sustain a fatal wound. However, these pistols are designed for close quarters combat, not long distance hunting.

As far as your white tail deer pistol, i'd say a Ruger Red hawk with a scope would be your best bet. [cool]
[signature]
a .22 long rifle has been known to go though 6 inches of soft pine at close range. but when it comes to dencer materials penitration becomes an issue.

a pocket wallet can stop a .22 just as a direct hit to a rib will also stop a .22 cliber.

most of the women in my area use .25s to .38s for personal protection. I am sure your model comes in a 25 or 38 claiber.

Your right about being close range, your not shooting at a target any further than 25 feet max. 50 feet would be concidered long range for that short barroled gun.

most of my targets are 50 to 75 feet. so a scope isnt something I am intrested in at the moment, but ya never know, I might change my mind once I put my hands on one...

do you hunt with a hand gun?
[signature]
No, I don't hunt with a hand gun. However, I most always carry one with me when I go. I prefer a revolver when I hunt. Though I have faith in a high quality auto loader, I know a revolver won't fail. Especially if you're stalking Wild Boar or something like that, knowing that your firearm will do it's duty without a hitch gives you good piece of mind. My revolver of choice is my Rossi 357 Mag. One hell of a pistol. Very accurate and dependable. I can put one in your eye at about 40 yards.

The only problem with that pistol is I practice with .38 cal and I hunt with .357. Of course, each round tracks differently. I'm dead on accurate with when loaded with the .38 cal. It takes me a couple shots when I try to get pin point when using a .357 because i'm so use to the smaller round. The price is the issue. I can get a box of 38's for a whole lot less than a box of the big boys. Most of the time though, if I pull my pistol when i'm hunting, what ever it is i'm shooting is close by anyhow; so it doesn't really matter. I don't have to be as accurate.

My favorite rifle to hunt with is my SKS. My father in law thinks i'm crazy, but I just like the round and I like the feel of the gun. I mostly am on the ground when I hunt, and most of the time I wait for really bad weather before I decide to go. LOL, I know, i'm a weird'O. I don't shoot no where near as many deer as everyone else, but I have a whole lot more fun doing it. Anyone can sit in a stand and eventually shoot a deer. Get your butt on the ground and stalk one. That's the real challenge. [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I looked at one of those Walthers some time ago, and I think my comment at the time kind of reflected your's about the trigger guard and magazine release - I said that looks a bit too "funky duty" for me. I already had a pocket 22 made by Taurus that suits me just fine for what it is intended to do. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Although I didn't fire that Walther, I have had and fired several others and they are well made weapons. But, curiously, the other Walthers I've had and fired also seemed a bit picky when it came to ammo quality as well. If you use good ammo, you get good results. They were a little touchier if you didn't keep them spotlessly clean too. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I never took one anywhere serious to see how it would handle the conditions out in the field, but they didn't seem to be robust or something a person could expect to use if it got dusty or heaven forbid - muddy. [/size][/black]
[signature]
[black][size 3]LOL ! OMG a "Llama" ? [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Dave, Dave, Dave, didn't your papa ever tell you that you don't save any money when you buy a cheap weapon ? You just put your self in a lot more danger for a lot less money.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Another thing, if you pull a gun out on a thug, and give that worthless piece of garbage enough time to focus on the diameter of your barrel - you are doing something very wrong.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Here's my dad's theory in a nut shell.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Before anything else, learn how to use the weapon and practice enough to be able to. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Then;[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]1. Don't pull a weapon you do not plan on using.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]2. When you pull the weapon - use it. If you do not, plan on it being used against you.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]3. When you use the weapon - hit the target. Gun control means your second shot went where your first should have - think target re-acquisition.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]4. If a detailed account needs to be told - make sure it is your side of the story that is heard. Let the other side of the story be the told by the statistics. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]5. If someone is going to judge you adversely or favorably for your actions, let it be 12 people from in your jury box, rather than 6 people from under your pine box.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]6. It is army's and government's responsibility to take prisoners - not your's. As far as I know, There are no laws in the world that require you to it. If you have the ability, training, and facility to do so, you do so at your own risk. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Anyway, it looks like you have figured out what that Llama might be good for - scrap.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]As far as a 22 recommendation, if it doesn't have to be a hand gun, I would say a Ruger 10/22 - it's a fine little weapon that is quite accurate and reliable. For hand guns, Ruger and Browning both make nice little 22s you could use for plinking and rodent hunting. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[signature]
all excilent points,

except one, ya cant carry a rifle around with you when you are selling hot dogs at a hot dog stand on a street corner....

Other than that, deffenantly words of wisdom...

in my defence, it was my first hand gun, and it was worth it at twice what I had paid for it, only for the reason that I lived in a bad hood and the police did not want me to have it, after 4 years of persuing it the gave it to me one day out of the blue and I only had ten day in which to perchas one. so I got the only thing my pay check would cover at the time.. I wasnt going to take the chance that they might change their mind if I didnt fill the permit....[laugh]

now I have no problems getting permits... that is since I have proven that I am a responcible and quality citisen and good neighbor in my community.
[signature]

Quote:[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]At that same range, with a .22, you could take one in the chest, and by the time it gets done playing ping pong in your rib cage, it's liable to come out of your leg. At close range, your survival rate is much less with a low power round. At a distance, of course, you're right on. You need the power to sustain a fatal wound. However, these pistols are designed for close quarters combat, not long distance hunting. [/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font]
I recall reading a few years back that Israeli (El-Al) Air Marshals are armed with .22LR Beretta tip-ups, and are trained to shoot for the head. The catch is, .22 is a killing round, not a stopping round. Any round is capable of inflicting death, right down to a .22 Short CB cap. However, the ability to stop is what people look for when looking for a defensive firearm.

The major problem with the P-22's is the mag release location/ design. Easy to accidently drop the mag when you dfon't want to.
[signature]
You're right on with the magazine release. That's what fishhound and I were speaking of previously. If it weren't for that, I would have purchased one. It's hard to do a quick reload with that pistol, it just doesn't feel right. It's kinda like trying to use a left handed bass reel after fishing with a standard version for 20 years, LOL, it just doesn't work.

As for as stopping power, you're right on as well. The difference with me is i'm aiming for a vital area. There's no "double tap, center mass." I don't need a 45 to drop someone, a 22 works just fine. However, I find the 9mm to be my preference. Take a standard lead bullet and carve a 1/16 of an inch cross in the tip, and you've got all the stopping power you need.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey T4M,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Say what ? After using a right handed bait caster for loads of years (I first used one about 45 years ago), I made the switch to left handed reels, and not only feel better about it, but I really, really enjoy it a lot more. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]As soon as I found that manufacturers were making left handed casting reels, I pick one up. I have since converted all of my casting, conventional, level line, line counters and trolling reels to left handed. I have 14 lefties now (I only have one right handed trolling line counter remaining).[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have to agree with you on the 9mm format with an "X" carved in the tip of the bullet for insurance. I also like my 357 though. [/size][/black]
[signature]
You like left handed reels? Wierdo LOL, Just kidding. Actually, all my spinning tackle is set up left handed. Infact, I can't use a spinning reel with the handle on the right hand side. All my bait casters and conventional reels, however, are all right handed. I've tried left handed bait casters in the past, and it just felt uncomforatable.

I also like a 357 revolver. I like the diversity of the firearm. I like the fact that I can shoot either a 38 or a 357 round. I think I told you before, i've got a Rossi .357 w/ synthetic stocks. I believe it's a 4" barrel. It's a nice pistol, accurate and durable. That's my hunting pistol. [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Yeah, I like the wrong handed casting reels more - I'm a weirdo ! I cast right handed and reel left handed - just like with my spinning and fly fishing gear.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have a 7 shot Taurus .357 / 6 inch vented barrel with a comfy custom hand grip. It's my snake pistol - I don't want to miss. [/size][/black]
[signature]