Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spinner blades for roadrunner jigs
Just curious as to what kinds of blades you all use for roadrunner jigs. I have seen mainly colorados, in silver, on the jigs from Tube Dude et al.

I recently painted up a bunch of small colorados in flo red, chartruese, and a combo thereof. Are those worth using on the rr jigs, or best to stick with metallic?

Also, does anyone use indiana or willow leaf blades?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have and use both Indiana and willowleaf blades, especially on larger roadrunners being fished for bass or other larger predators. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I put the little Colorado blades on most of my small stuff because I usually fish them slow, and Colorado blades are more active at slow speeds. I also use them a lot for vertical jigging. Same thing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, if you are using a fast retrieve or trolling roadrunners, then a narrower profile blade can be better.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LOL, your depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me, TD! Thanks--that makes sense. I got an offer to fish American Falls with an old buddy, from his boat, unfortunately, as he mainly trolls. However, it may worth having some larger RRs with willow leaf blades or something.

Can you comment on blade color versus metallic finish?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I use mostly silver, with some gold. Seldom do I use colored or painted blades on the roadrunners. If I do, it is usually either white or chartreuse. However, black is a good color for many spinners...with or without spots.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks--that's mainly what I have in small painted colorados, chartreuse, some fire tiger colors (flo red, flo yellow, and chartreuse striped), some flo red. All but the fire tiger colors have spots. I found some really nice black nickel finish colorados at Stamina, so will throw some of those on, too--thanks for the tip!
[signature]