Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guess right & win
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I know that many of you know your flies pretty well. But how many are just adept at identifying materials? Shown below is some hair/fur from a critter. Can you guess what animal it came from? The winner will receive two @ of the decals shown below. One is a window decal the other can be fixed to a tackle box or whatever. Further clues will be given if there are no winner(s) this time.
[/size][/green][/font][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=21355;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=21357;]
[signature]
My first wag is.. tail hair from a whitetail deer.....but that is just a guess....[cool]
[signature]
[Wink] Wow, I had an answer going, and all of a sudden the screens started shifting in and out and my post dissapeared.

That's not hollow hair. That's fur.
Not many animals have White Fur that's long, soft and frizzy like that stuff is.
Too stiff for Rabbit or House Cat. Too long for Ermine or Weasel.
Too straight for Cotton.

So I'm guessing it's from a Shaggy dog.[unsure]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there Thudpucker you have got the species right. Care to give a guess as to it's breed? I mentioned it when I have posted info about my dog. Anyhow you win. Send me a PM indicating your address. Damn these guys are good![/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Just a shot in the dark, is it a Samoyed? (Nordic breed)
[signature]
[sly] Heh heh...with a big ol' broad hint like that, I'd bet its that handsome dog of yours.
Looks like a Sled dog with some Malemute in him.
If I had to guess further, I'd say you got that little bit of fur off the underside of his tail or his Neck just in front of the collar.

My Boy and the neighbor kid had Sled dogs. During the winter the Dogs just needed exercize and the boys had them pulling something all the time.
But during the summer, they connected the harness to an old truck tire, laid flat.
The boys would jump on and ride the tire, chariot style up and down that gravel road. The Dog could take that tire out into the wilderness too.
My son's dog (Butch) could pull me right down the Gravel road.
However, when I tried to ride that tire, I came off pretty easily. Simulated Train Wreck.[Tongue]
The Boys had to go re-capture Butch. He took off, not caring at all that he'd lost his load.

Those sled dogs are nice even temperd dogs.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]She is a full bred Siberian Husky. They are a little smaller than a Malamute. Actually she shed that bit of hair so I don't know from where abouts it came. She loves people especially children. They also like to run and pull things. A great pet but a lousy watch dog. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[sly]Yep, that was Butch's trait as well.
I came home late one day.
Butch, as usual, greeted me with great joy and anticipation. A great friendly dog, but he just laid out in the yard while a couple of Strays did the damage to my Chickens and Rabbits.
We set out traps and got the strays.
To this day, I dont know why I let that boy keep Butch.

On Watch dogs.
That boy married and moved out into the Bush. They had a big Chow named Fozzie.
We went out to visit, and our two little grandaughters ran out to the Pickup to greet us. So excited.
"Fozzie doesn't like Bears" the five yr old says.
Holy cow, I thought, I wonder what the story behind this is?

The kid kept a Trailer in the yard for houshold garbage.
The little girls were playing on the swing set when a Bear (Grizz) came out of the woods to check into the Garbage.

Fozzie, probably percieving a threat to the little girs, tore into the Bear.
The Bear ran in panic. Leaving the trail of Soupy Poopy which is pretty normal for scared Bears.
Fozzie doing his best to catch the Bear.
The both ran head long, right through the swingset.
The trail of Soupy Poopy told the tale.

The little girls were OK, it was too quick to be frightening for them, but it was a little exciting for me and Mamaw!
Yeah, we like Fozzie. (it was really Fonzerllie, after the guy on Happy Days, but the little girls couldn't say that)

Boy, dont these winter blah's conjure up a million ways to hijack a thread?[Tongue]
[signature]
[Smile] I forgot to ask. What's a Full blooded Siberian doing in California?

You know that temps down into the 'Minus 60's' are not a problem for those Siberians.
They curl the tail up over the eyes and snuggle up against something thats sorta out of the wind.
Usually, when it's that cold out, they spend thier time curled up, unless on the hunt for food or working.

Normally they are pulling at the chain and barking. Up on thier feet almost all day if the weather is bearable.
You never want to live within earshot of a guy that owns sled Dogs.

There are some pretty enchanting tales of the Dogs bringing the Sled through the Fog and Snow storms when the Musher wasn't real sure where he was, or even what direction he was going.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there guest and welcome to the FF&T board. We would all rather call you by name other than Guest. So why not take a moment and register by clicking on the link at the bottom of my post. There isn't any charge & we certainly would sell your information. Thanks for your comments and hope to see you around. A good sense of humor is always appreciated. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Yessir, welcome Guests.

I got an envelope in Tuesday's mail. Sorry I'm so late in letting you know.
Thanks.

Nasal hairs???
If you made a fly out of Nasal hairs would it whistle as you cast, like the breathing of an old man sleeping in a Rocker?

Yeah!
Six toed Mordecai had nasal hairs like that.
And on Warm days a lot of insects could be seen hovering about his face, too.

There was the one time ol' Mordecai got close enough to the Creek to actually erode some of the grime off his person.

It just so happend near about the time F&G had dumped a truckload of those brand new to the world Rainbow.

When Six Toed Mordecai slipped and fell into the water, he was so dirty the surface tension held him up for awhile as he struggled to get out of that clean stream.
His flailing resembled the crash landing of a huge Montana Bucktail.

The new Hatchery plants flocked to the disturbance.
Attracted by the great cloud of of winged Vermin buzzing about his Beard.
So many Trout became tangled up in his Beard the F&G accused him of Netting them.
They decided not to charge him though, as it meant hauling his vile smelly contenance around in a Government vehicle and who'd want to clean it up after he'd spent time in it.

They are still studying the reasons why the Fish flocked to him though.
Wondering if it was the Color or the Chemical composition that attracted all those fish.
Catfishermen use stuff like that for bait, except they dont include all the hair and call it a fly!
[signature]
I couldn't resist sharing these pictures of the source of my favorite fly.... The Maltese Minnow.

Aloha,
Stan
[signature]
It looks like you have a plentiful supply of materials there.[cool]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Really cute pictures. Just love those little people.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
[sly]Ohhh too cute. Poor little Foo Foo doesn't know where White Dubbing comes from eh?

When I grow up I want to be able to take photos like that. I have a cutie as well.

My little buddy is always busy gathering Burrs, and sticks in his coat whenever we get to the River.
[signature]