Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm feeling locked down, and mouldy...
[Sad] The winter blah's.
Weather is Cold. Too cold for wading in a river.
Too cold to sit out in a boat hoping to find some Crappie.
Too cold for just about anything.
I got up in the bed of my Pickup and looked off to the north. I think I could see a Glacier approaching.

I'm busy enough. Trimming out this old Farmhouse is a whole winters job, but when can I go fishing again?

I havent seen any of my fishing gear for a month.

The daily paper has a spot for fishing reports. I went there to see if anybody was even fishing, and found it filled up with electioneering.
I felt like a shipwrecked sailer with no land in sight. Nothing to grasp onto.

I guess I should be grateful that I'm still here, and that the days are getting longer, and if I stick around long enough, the days might even get a little warmer.

It's times like this that make me think I see the reasoning for such an avid interest in fly tying.
It's sorta the same thing as having a bite of Dessert, when you've been waiting all day for the big festive dinner.
You know its coming, but that little bite of Dessert makes the waiting a little more bearable.

Just a few more weeks now....
[signature]
Very nicely put there. I feel your pain, but we have the sun shine
when the inversion gets blown out, which is usually done by a cold front moving through. So basically, if it is warm (in the hi 20's low 30's) then you can cut the valley air with a knife.
On the other hand today was beautiful sunny day, but COLD!
[signature]
I totally feel your pain thudpucker. We have a major off season here in SC. I mostly offshore fish in the Atlantic and sometimes target trophy cats in some of the smaller rivers. When the air cools down, the bite stops.

I usually take this time to make boat repairs or improvements, tear down the reels and get them cleaned up and lubed, and examine fishing logs and marine charts to plot on my first trip of the season.

Winter sucks, but it gives me time to prepare. I've just had my new center console for a little over a year. It takes quite a few trips to find all the bugs you have to work out to make it fishable to your own personal style. Even deck boats for fly fishing on the flats need personalized.

I've had to address seating issues, rod storage issues, fish box issues, wiring issues...........You name it, I've found something about it I didn't like. But, it's almost there. And by the end of winter, it'll be ready and so will I.

Daddy always said if you get too much of something, you don't appreciate it as much. I guess you could look at fishing in the same way; unless you're obsessive like I am.[cool]
[signature]
Dare I post the temperatures and weather patterns of the local area... [angelic]
[signature]
[unsure] I dunnoo Mac. Would it make us feel better?
We had snow and sleet last night. Right here in sunny Alabama.
What's wrong with this picture?

A couple years ago I was explaining Ice fishing to the local boys at our rural place on a lake in southern Louisiana.
It took some time.
They were born and raised in Louisiana and had never even seen Ice in the Puddles, let alone snow.
All their fishing was in Ponds, the Creek or in a jon boat on the lake.

So I went through it all, including the Four to six feet of ice we had to drill through. Driving 12 miles down the lake to just the right spot.
I think they got stuck on the part about driving the pickup out onto the lake and driving 12 miles on the ice.
Camping at 52 Below in the woods at the edge of the frozen lake.

When I was all done, the 12 yr old Red head said:
"but Mr. Dick, how'd you get a boat into the water?"

Right then I realized somebody had wasted a lot of time trying to teach me to communicate.[crazy]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][Wink]Nice weather but it will change. Monday's forecast is 83º.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=21368;][/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]The stocked trout are going crazy. First it's to cold the other week the night time lows were around 30º and they certainly don't like day time highs in the 80's.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
Dryrod....YOU SUCK![Wink] It is snow as we speak![Sad] One thing though, the inversion is gone[Smile]
[signature]
I was being a little sarcastic in the post.. I grew up in Missouri so I am well aware of the "four seasons" that most in Ca know nothing about (unless they drive to a mountain to ski on half man made and half real snow.. lol)... I do remember days when it was so heavy in snow or so cold we could not go out (even though my mother really wanted us out of her hair)...

I do also know that of most of the people who were in that swap I am one of a few who has the best chance of using those new flies.. but to be honest.. I am afriad of losing them to a tree or bush on the bank of the lakes I frequent.. and to me that would be a huge loss because of the time spent by ya'll making them.. and then time spent for FG and I to post that site so everyone could see the work that was done prior to the arrival of the flies to everyone...

So I dont think I will post my weather report for the weekend.. but I will try to get out this weekend and use one or two of those flies and then let ya'll know what happen...

MacFly
[signature]
[reply]
Dryrod....YOU SUCK![Wink] It is snow as we speak![Sad] One thing though, the inversion is gone[Smile] [/reply]
[black][size 3]what is "the inversion"????? is that another form of alien invasion.. [cool]...[/size][/black]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Salt Lake is in a bowl so to speak (mountains surround us).
When the ground temp is warmer than the air (fog kind of thing) all the smoke and pollution in the air gets stuck, kinda like LA. LOL
Anyway, it becomes a health hazard. No fires and avoid going outside.
So by getting a cold front to move through and specially if there is moisture involved, it clears up. This happens a lot here in the winter. Coming back from Pocatello last Sunday, you could see it real good. Big Yellow cloud hanging low. YUCH! Cough, cough.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[black][size 3]so live above the cloud.. then you would not have that problem...[/size][/black] [cool]
[signature]
What! Living above the clouds cost about as much as houses out where you live LOL
[signature]
[reply]
What! Living above the clouds cost about as much as houses out where you live LOL [/reply]

ssssssooooooooooooo live in the bowl and choke on the smog created by those above you.. or join the ones above you....[laugh].... now I know why I want to move to TN so bad...[sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have arrived in SLC during those inverstions before. I have looked at the inversions from atop the mountains at Snowbird or Alta. Then the next day it may be clear and prestine looking.

Used to see them in Pheonix when I lived there back in the 70's. I am sure that they are a lot worse now.

It was a new record low at Denver international this morning. -18 degrees. We have had snow storms every week for the last 7 weeks. Quite unusually weather for here. .... Having 3 storms in three weeks is quite unusual.

I should be tying flies. .....
[signature]
[font "Brush Script MT"][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"][#002850][size 2]well...if this weather holds out..[crazy] I will be taking my new flies out to a local lake and giving them a toss in the water.. if by chance and with the blessings of Saints Peter and Paul... I should catch a fish or two I will be sure to post and let you know who's fly was use....

MacFly[/size][/#002850][/font]
[/size]
[/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][Tongue]Can I go too?[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]Unless you are going on SuperBowl Sunday. Duh no.[/size][/#008000][/font][/center]
[signature]
[size 3][black]Come on down.. would love to have some company.. especially someone who knows more about it than I do...

MacFly [cool][/black][/size]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Down? Are you living in Mexico now? LOL[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Would love to get onto some decent waters one of these days.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
grab a Saddle and strap on to one of them glaisers. [shocked]

From what I hear. glaisers are going south fast.

a picture being worth a couple words, click on the photo to see fishing conditions on my lake today
[center] [center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2482/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: White_Out_100_yards_2.jpg][/url][/center][/center]

today we were fishing with fly babies, catching Crappie... though a fly hole in the river I am sitting on.
[signature]
hmmmmmm San Diego is south of YL.... hence .. come on down lol...

not sure about the decent part..but have caught fish from the local lakes..but that was on bait mostly....this is ahole new angle for me... [Tongue]

MacFly
[signature]