Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hook color, big deal or not?
Over the years, hooks have come along way. They become stronger, sharper, and more colorful. The question is, do you feel that hook color matters now that there is a wide selection?

I feel it depends on the application, and in alot of instances, I don't feel it affects anything in either direction.

Explain your opinions, when does it matter, and when doesn't it?[Smile]
[signature]
I like to put a red treble hook on some of my lures sometimes. I don't know if it makes it look like blood and that is what the fish like or the simple fact it adds a little more color. I lean more to the added color. Some days it seems to help and other days doesn't mean a thing.
[signature]
Freshwater I use red hooks because of the shallow depths. Salt, it doesn't seem to matter. But I do have a few on my poppers for stripers.
[signature]
The last big fishing show I went to had hooks in many different colors. Gold, red, blue, green, orange and purple.

I have not had any better fishing on a colored hook that on a standard hook. I have been able to spook some trout really good with some red hooks though.

I forgot to cover it completely and when they say it, they booked it away.[cool]
[signature]
any sharp hook free of rust is what I use....
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]One day while tubing and the fly action was slow decided to go after some bass. Never did any bass fishing before. Used a red circle hook. While day dreaming I got a nice tug and guess what? Caught my first bass on a red hook. Don't know if it made a difference by why mess with success. Oh I used a drop shot setup.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Thay make the hooks in all these cfferent colors so when you hook yourself you can just leave it in and go to the mall and fit right in
I did kind of notice that myself. It was all the fishermens teenage children had the colored hooks to match the colors in the hair.[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. [Tongue] I'd say when you go bass fishing, make sure and bring red hooks.[cool]
[signature]
I never really noticed an increase in my catching abilities when I started adding a red treble to my crankbaits. I have some with both, some on front only and visa versa. I just had to have more tackle and red hooks was something I didn't have at the time.

It does make it more visually appealing to my eyes though, but I'm not the one I want to hook.
[signature]
I briefly thought of color coding my hooks so I would know what size everything is, but decided that I'm too lazy and too disorganized.
[signature]
Like you said it depends on the application.
If chunk fishing and burying the hook I would say no. For trolling a red hook, or a bright nickel finish for flash, or sometimes I will Airbrush to match the skirt. I'm always trying something new but never really noticed a dramatic change. I was even involved in a local trial to see if the "bleeding Bait" hooks worked any better. The result was pretty inconclusive. Some guys got a few more hits on the red and some including me saw no difference between standard and red.

One thing I always do is color the hook tip with a sharpie, it keeps the point from getting rusty from day to day.
[signature]
lol i didnt even notice there were diffrent colors untill yesterday Sad enough i went fishing today at a nature park here in sth fl with my father and funny enough he used the red hook.... i used the regular hooks that i use.... i got a hit off a 10in watermelon seed worm unfortunatly i didnt have it rigged right and the worm was gone hook still there..... about 4 mins after that my father got a hit on his line with the red hook then we moved to a bigger open water spot he cast out about 4 or 5 times same area i had been casting in prior he gets a hit on about a 4lb lrg mouth..... then when i moved he went to where i was (again) and caught a 5 lb lrg mouth..... then that was about it for 2 hours we caught 4 bass..... the one i caught was about 1 lb[Sad]..... yes thats the only bass i caught.. but we were only out there for about 2 hours[cool][Image: littlebittytinybabyfishlol.jpg]
[signature]
[cool] I have been using red hooks for panfish and seem to get quite a few bites. Bought some red drop shot hooks but haven't beenable to try them yet.
[signature]
I noticed an increase in productivity when I switched to Chartrues for bream. Those are some shiney hooks, and bream are generally a pretty dumb fish, LOL, and like alot of shine. I've caught bream on bare hooks before, as long as they shine.
[signature]
I like to use red hooks for halibut, sharks and rays, but I have not done well using them for bass and trout.
[signature]
I believe that any good superstition builds momentum, belief and confidence. For me personally I believe that red hooks make a difference and I have more confidence with them. As far as scientific theory goes, fish can't see or differentiate colors, only shades. Therefore they don't know that red is actually red like we interpret that.

I also read that underwater tests make the red completely disappear 4 feet or below down the water column. Makes me think that red hooks might only matter when fishing a few feet at the top of the water column or surface fishing.
[signature]
i'm sure you all have heard the saying, catch the fisherman not the fish.
[signature]
Rusty seems to be the color of choice for most of the carp I catch.
[signature]
i use the glow in the dark collors that way i can still see the fish after he breaks me off....
[signature]