Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Leak
I walked out into the garage and noticed a puddle of oil under my outboard. Upon further inspection it is Gear lube coming out from behind the prop. I'm sure its some type of seal that ripped when I first kicked the boat in gear. Any idea's how much and how much work it is to replace?
[signature]
sorry to here your boats broke teroy[crazy], but i fell for you, i have a old car that i recieved[Wink] that needs a new carb. i worked on it today with a nieghbor and fixed the brake problem so it should pass inspection now[Smile]. look out guys only a little longer and i will have my lisence to drive[sly]. may god save you all[Tongue].
[signature]
Not sure on the exact pricing, but I'm sure it'll be at least a couple hundred bones. Rogers Marine in Centerville has always treated me well. Good luck with the repair.
[signature]
I can get my prop off, Just a castle nut holding it on.
[signature]
Thats good if you're prop will come off . I had to cut mine off with a die grinder .I bet my prop hadn't been off in awhile . I wanted to take it off and change the seals . If I remember right they only cost about 10 each , and it needed 3 seals . New prop was about 80 bucks .Hopfully it is just the seals and not a crack . I get to change water pump next . My book tells me I need to get in the gear case to do the water pump . my only problem I can break lose a bearing carrier nut . May have to cut it out and get new one .
[signature]
Besides cutting off your prop, where they a pain in the neck to replace?
[signature]
No pain at all , the seals went in slick , no problemo ! Kinda had to tear up the old ones getting them out .I was seeing water in my gear oil and found out my drain plug was missing a gasket but wanted to make sure it was'nt the seals too . I was draining it every time I went out and replacing the oil . Got to love them old boats and motors . Got me a Seloc repair manual and learning from it .
[signature]
Teroy,

With the prop comming of easy you are lucky. Most need a puller are as you have been told they end up trash when they get cut off.

Now if you have minimul corrosion in the unit the output shaft seals can be a pain but they are not realy all that bad to replace.

If you have heavy corrosion then take it to a shop! They know what to do to make sure the seals have to be replaced.
[signature]
Anything like a Tail housing seal on a Auto tranny?
[signature]
Thanks for the tip SSOR. When I replaced my impellar last year the shaft had no corrsion on it, hopefully this will be the case when I replace the seal.
[signature]
Just speaking from my experence on mine , yes . Only thing is on my outdrive the seals were not the same direction .What I mean is 2 were to keep water out and one was to keep oil in . Pay attention to the direction of the seal lip as you remove it .
[signature]
Sweet, I should be able to handle this job. Thx for your help HA [Smile]
[signature]
Teroy,

The problem of corrosion is not normaly related to the output shaft as it is made of a high strength staneles in most outboards.

The corrosion is actualy in referance to the housing that holds the seals. Check closely for pitting where the outer edge of the seal is held in place. If found it can be filled with many products but I prefer Liquid Steel. This is a cause found mostly where the outboard is used in salt water. Probly not an issue for you as it is in Utah and run in fresh water.

Do make sure of the dirrection of each seal and install each in the same direction as removed.

Also make sure that you have no free play in your support bearings allowing the shaft to move up and down.

You can be ready for the lakes long before all the hard water is gone and I wish you a long, frutfull and safe angling season with your water craft.
[signature]