Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
two fly rig
I have a couple of questions about two fly rigs. I have always used one to the tippet and the other to the bend of the first fly, larger fly first then smaller fly. I have tried using a dropper, but the mess isn't worth the trouble. (tangling) I was wondering if there are some set ups that work well. (River setup)
[signature]
You have a good question! there are a lot of 2 fly fishing rigs. They ALL magnify the tangling aspect to fly fishing. as a person gets better at handeling the fly rod they find that the tangels become less and less. But never totally go away. On days that I get frustrated with tangels I go back to fishing just 1 fly(it is not a sin) and if it is the right pattern I do just as well or better than fighting the 2 fly system. the way you are rigging is probably the least likely to give you problems in casting.

Work on your casting,setting techniques first. In teaching my students I have noticed that those who tend to tangle the most tend not to bring their rod tip high enough(to 12 o'cock) when trying to roll cast. Don't baby your fly rod when you are trying to cast, put the bend to it as you are throwing a cast this will put the flys were you want them not tangled around the rod tip.

Time: give it time and practice and this will not be an issue for you.
[signature]
[black][size 3]HFT has told you the best that I can think of. I even go to a 1:00 and let the line drop slightly behind me, with my arm straight up in the air (do a lot of in the river and float tube fishing, so I just got into the habit of arm straight up, but I can sure get some distance LOL)[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Try slowing down just a bit to form bigger loops when false casting.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Like Jim said , practise.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Thanks for the help. I've been Fly fishing 25 plus years, just don't get around much when it comes to the new and improved. I guess some the the old standards never go out of style they just get more flash. [Wink] The provo was rain wind then snow, weber just a little rain and light gusts.
[signature]
From dry or wet fly fishing to sinkers ,strike indicator, 2 flys. It is like a whole different sport.
Did you pick up a fish or 2 on either of those streams?
[signature]
Just one fly today, Browns on zonkers, Rainbows,Whitefish on hares and pheasant tail. Weber wasn't as stirred up as the provo.
[signature]