Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Closed cell foam
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Anyone tying flies using cell foam material?[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
I use closed cell foam on some of my Saltwater flies for the deep stuff. Since it is on such a large hook, the foam helps to give the fly some nuetral bouyancy. Foam is pretty cheap and easily accessible.[cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Well, like I said before. I have never used a chernobyl ant, till this summer with a client and he landed a 25". mSo I have changed my whole tune.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Was hanging out at Michael's today while the ol' man got a hair cut, and I found these foam sign things you hang on doors (for kids I guess, cause they had butterflies, soccer ball, etc at the top)[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Anyway, I found two shades of yellow and a black one. This stuff is like 1/4" thick. It will make some real nice hoppers and ants. Funny part was, I was looking at the foam and a gentleman in the same isle looking at doll eyes, then feathers. I said let me guess, fly fishing, he Smiled and said you bet.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]They have BIG packages of all different colors and big sheets, plus different thickness at Michael's, so don't get your foam at a fly shop, unless you got money to burn.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The three chunks of foam I got today will probably make 50 to 100 flies each and they were $0.25 each.[/size][/black]
[signature]
We have Michaels out here too. There is one more chain called JoAnns that I frequent alot.

One of the old Ladies that has worked there since Jesus was in diapers, always sets aside any marked down feathers, damaged foam products, as well as other supplies that I use for some of my Saltwater flies. When I go in looking, she pops out with the big ole bag and it says $4.00 for the Tuber on it.

I send her a thank you card from time to time and that really makes her day.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Michaels is a great outlet for all kinds of goodies. The first time I shop there for fly stuff the clerk asked if I was a fly tier. So obiviously others tyers must be shopping there too. The price is certainly right.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I gotta tell you, He post on the Utah board by the name of TUBE DUD (not sure why that name) we know him as CHEECH. That boy can tie some incredible foam flies.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Ok thanks for the props. I went through the archives to see what i could find. There are several pics, so I hope I can get them up in one post.
[signature]
I like them all but espeically like 1707...I can see where bass may like that one as well.. and since I am no expert on trout I would not know for sure so would leave that recommendation to the experts here... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi TubeDud - thanks for stopping by and sharing your crafty creations with us. Likewise I especially like your bass popper.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[left][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green][cool]What is the Difference Between Open-cell and Closed-cell Urethane Foams?
Open-cell foam is soft - like a cushion or the packaging material molded inside a plastic bag to fit a fragile object being shipped. The cell walls, or surfaces of the bubbles, are broken and air fills all of the spaces in the material. This makes the foam soft or weak, as if it were made of broken balloons or soft toy rubber balls. The insulation value of this foam is related to the insulation value of the calm air inside the matrix of broken cells. The densities of open-cell foams are around 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound per cubic foot.
Closed-cell foam has varying degrees of hardness, depending its density. A normal, closed-cell insulation or flotation urethane is between 2 and 3 pounds per cubic foot. It is strong enough to walk on without major distortion. Most of the cells or bubbles in the foam are not broken; they resemble inflated balloons or soccer balls, piled together in a compact configuration. This makes it strong or rigid because the bubbles are strong enough to take a lot of pressure, like the inflated tires that hold up an automobile. The cells are full of a special gas, selected to make the insulation value of the foam as high as possible.
The advantages of the closed-cell foam compared to open-cell foam include its strength, higher R-value, and [#bf0000]greater resistance to the leakage of air or water vapor[/#bf0000]. The diSadvantage of the closed-cell foam is that it is more dense, requiring more material, and therefore, more expense. Even though it has a better R-value, the cost per R is still higher than open-cell foam. The choice of foam should be based on the requirements for the other characteristics - strength, vapor control, available space, etc.
Both types of foam are commonly used in most building applications. Some are inappropriate in specific applications. For example, you typically would not use open-cell foam below grade where it [#bf0000]could absorb water[/#bf0000]; this would negate its thermal performance because water is a poor insulator compared to air. Closed-cell foam would be a good choice where small framing sizes need the greatest R-value per inch possible. Basically, the choice depends on the conditions of each installation. We routinely select from a wide variety of foam systems with varying characteristics, depending on the particular requirements of our clients' projects.

[/left][/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
Wallmart used to and probably still does carry the same colored foam,16 x 11.5", that Michaels and Hobby Lobby carries. This last year they started making package of smaller sheets containing multiple colors and thickness (some thing line 8 x 6 sheets)

I use it some but I found that the flies ride low in the water because the foam is dense. That is a lot more plastic than air bubbles in the foam. The more air bubbles the more floatation but the easier it is for toothy critters to tear it up.

You will want a wing or post to stick up so that you can see the thing. Chernoblyl ants have a short low peice of opposing colored foam that is suppose to allow it to be seen but I can't see them much in the water. It needs to stand up in the air more.
[signature]
fly shop also carry open cell foam. works well for where you want soft sponginess and some volume for nymphs. It will allow water to soak into it so it will sink. But the water volume makes the fly heavier to cast.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]TubeN2 mentioned J0-Ann's crafts shop. I have one in my neighborhood and noticed that they carry a lot of material that one can use in tying flys. They sell the foam sheets 2mm thick 9"x12" for 59 cents. A lot better than paying $2.95 at the fly store.[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
pheasant tail fibers, several, tied together with an over hand knot to form a bent leg.

Turkey biots tied with an over hand knot to form a bent leg.

paint brush fibers.

hen feathers used for legs on stoneflies.

Elastic strands from tighty whities or "over the should bolder holders" used to be used in by gone years. (Before my fly tying time. )
[signature]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=21731;]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Right on DR. I forgot all about Bungies and yes I have used them.[/size][/black]
[signature]