Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishin with the wrong imitation!
[unsure]Scruffy fly's avitar is a Mysis Shrimp.

It looked so good I asked my local guy to tie some up for me.

He's replied that we dont have any Mysis Shrimp in our river or the lake.
Wow!
I wondered if he'd had some experience with the Biology end of Fish n' Game? How'd he know that?
First of all, I'd never heard of a Mysis shrimp.
I thought it was some catchy name a guy gave his creation, so he'd get his name in the annuls of flytying.

After all....Shrimp are shrimp. Either we eat them or the fish eat them. Who cares if they have a name?

It also caused me to wonder how many of us fish with some pretty good imitations, and fish in waters that dont have anything that resembles those good looking imitations we are fishing with.
Like me, up there in the Sipsy, using the Mysis, and the fish not even recognizing what they saw as something they might eat.

Wherever I've fished, I've always bought flies from the local shop, as close to the river as possible. They usually will sell you whats catching the fish.
That way, I never had to learn the names of the flies. Or understand the entimology of the Flies I was buying.

This is the first time it's ever hammered on me that "good looking fly wont catch fish here" and frankly it shocked me.
Now I want to know what we have, and what the fish are eating.

PS: He told me the Sow Bug's are good, on a #18 hook. Barbless!
Little Gnats and Skeeters. He hasn't mentioned anything else.

Shrimp? Whaddayamean they aint none o' them in these here waters?
[signature]
I believe you can catch fish with a transient fly no matter where you are. I have caught trout on stonefly nymphs in a creek that doesn't have them and it was the wrong time of year anyway. Good question man.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Guess what - Thudpucker there is such a creature. The Mysis Shrimp, a dime-size crustacean, has caused shifts in fish populations where it's been introduced. It has one of the most unique life cycles of any aquatic creature. Don't know if I've ever seen any, but who cares about a name. They all look alike to me. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]lunkerhunter2, I agree totally. Let me ask you this, why do fish hit great big Chernobyl Ants, what the heck are they suppose to be?[/size][/black]
[signature]
[reply]
[black][size 3]lunkerhunter2, I agree totally. Let me ask you this, why do fish hit great big Chernobyl Ants, what the heck are they suppose to be?[/size][/black] [/reply]

nuclear sized ants ? [angelic]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[unimpressed]Chernobyl Ants...LOL Those are the ones that glow in the dark?

Actually there's a HUGE Wasp down here that has no wings.
It crawls on the ground. It's busy all the time, and is a bright Orange or Red color. It's just about an Inch in length. Maybe 1/4 Inch across it's body.

I chased one all over my corrall till I finally was able to pin it down with a nail.
It makes a noise. You'll hear it long before you see it.

One look at that creature and a person would describe it as a Chernobyl Ant.

Entimology says it has a horribly dehabilitating sting too.

I've seen Birds fight over one of them, so it follows that the Fish might do the same.
[signature]
Most of the fly patterns out there I don't think look like any thing I have seen in the rivers and lakes.

I think they all are attractor patterns.

So yah! Try mysis in your lakes and rivers.

a picture of a mysis
[url "http://cars.er.usgs.gov/Region_5_Report/html/shrimp.html#Mysis%20relicta"]http://cars.er.usgs.gov/Region_5_Report/html/shrimp.html#Mysis%20relicta[/url]

But I would not think it worthwhile to have some one else tie up a bunch for you unless he just likes to try new things and does not charge much. The mysis shrimp are shrimps in size. But I can't help but think that in other colors they might

I don't think any of my favorite flies represent any thing I have seen in the water. Impressionistic is good way to say it.

I have heard is said many times that realistic imitations most of the time do not work well. Presumably because they are too stiff and hard.
[signature]
[black][size 3]We spent a week up at Mack's Inn up by Henry's lake one year. The Snake runs right by the cabin, so I was fishing the river a lot. One night there was such a thick Caddis hatch the the sky looked Burnt Orange. The fish were not going for my Goddard Caddis, along with everone else out there, at all - so I switched to a TYPE II line, tied on a small black marabou nymph (the Hasbro) and started nailing the fish right and left. Everyone on that river just stopped and watched. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Sometimes you have to just through something totally off the wall at them.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Scruffy, I've come up with clouds of shrimp in several places and all you can see is the pale translucent blur and that Black Eye.

Rainbow's Dart through that cloud. They dont liesurly Slurp their way around the edges. I've watched it happen.
I would think that Mysis would work anywhere because (this may sound a bit spooky) I believe all Trout and Char have the same Genetic codes that see the Mysis and other stuff as food.

They have a built in filter.
Fish in Alaska have never seen a worm, but they will fight over them.

A Lodge owner on Heffly lake BC. once told me to take a Dr. Spratly, drop it in the bottom of the boat. Spit on it, Step on it, grind it around a little bit, and then it'l catch fish.

Lo and behold, we did it, and it did it!
The new shiny well tied Flies didn't work so well.

Over the years, all my old flies that would catch fish, have dissapeared.
Since I never tied, I have no idea which to laud.
But the Dr. Spratly, treated as I related it, worked in every lake body of water that held Rainbow.

So what could you say about a Spratly? It looks like a Minnow?
Did you ever see a Wolly Worm with a Silver wrapper?
"ah own' no, it jes works!"

So I agree with you scrappy, I had him tie up six of the Mysis and some time in this Century, when the weather warms up, I'll let us know.
Thanks for the photo. I'll send it to him.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I just figured it out.. why I am not catching fish I mean..I am always using the wrong imitation.. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]especially since I am not an entimologist.. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]isnt that what Grissom is on CSI.... [/size][/black]

[black][size 3]or is that I am an imitation fly fisher.. thats confusing as well.. at least I know now.. but have to figure out how to correct it...LOL[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]MacFly[/size][/black]
[signature]