Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The aches & pain of it all
[unsure][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]As some of you may know I haven’t been fishing since I severely injured my right rotator cuff [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]last September. After several weeks went by I started to do an exercise program that I [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]undertook when I injured my left rotator cuff. Last month I played golf a few times and [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]the shoulder felt pretty good. So today I took the swatter out to a local lake to try out [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]my shoulder and some flies that I recently made. Unfortunately the water was coffee colored [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]with some milk added. So the heck with catching anything as I was more interested at this [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]point to test the flies. After about a ½ hour of casting some streamers my shoulder really got[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]tired and started to hurt. Didn’t realize that I would be using a different set of muscles when [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]casting than when playing golf. Now I have to come up with a different exercise program that [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]addresses those muscles used when fly casting. Anyone have any suggestions?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Flycasting isn't a normal movement so why not just step outside and simply parctice your form each day? Should strengthen your shoulder and you will know how much you can do at the lake later. Glad your back.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there tlspyder13 - thanks for your input. A simple solution for a simple guy. Certainly more fun than lifting wts and stretching a bungee band.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Dryrod, My right shoulder is messed up also (more the muscle under my shoulder blade at some point in time ripped)[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]My shoulder really hurts from time to time, to the point I have to carry my arm.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I did therapy and they warned me to not do anything that HURTS. Not the old adage, "No pain No gain". So for months I did what they said, Lay your arm out on a table and slightly pull, and the bend over and make circles with a loose limp arm.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]All of that worked and I will add, Take Glucosamine (to lube the joint) and MSM for a tissue rebuilder. Firm believer in them both. After one week of taking them I realized I didn't hurt anymore.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Flygoddess - Making circles with a 1lb, then 2 and finally 3lb small dumbell wt is what they had me doing in therapy and at home when I messed up my left shoulder. Had to do that exercise twice a day for three minutes to warm up. After a week would increase the size of the wt. Will have to get back to grinding it out again. By the way my dog's vet had suggested giving her Glucosamine. Will I wind up barking or something else worse if I take Glucosamine? LMAO. Excuse me now for I have to go out. See what you have done I starting to act like one now.[Wink] Thanks guys.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Not sure about the barking part...but if your nose turns black and wet you will know you are on the right track...[crazy]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[unimpressed]Over the years, with all the Archery and FLy Fishing, both my shoulders went bad.

In addition, I was stuck with "Frozen Shoulders" after the Acromioplasty's.

So I went through all that Therapy and those exercizes but nothing was doing any signifigant improvment.

Finally, the only thing the Doc and the Therapist aggreed on was going swimming,
In actual tests, swimming seemed to be the right answer.

The Shoulders did not limber up completly.
But the nagging pain went away. Those sudden pains stopped as well. The ones that wake you up out of a deep sleep.
Additionally, a bunch of other arithritic pains in other parts of my (Back and knees) body went away.

My swimming carreer was humorus at best.
Anything you do repetedly is boring. So I'd race with somebody.
Thrashing around in the pool was fun that way.
When I first jumped in that pool I couldn't swim half a lap.
In a month I was doing Ten laps. (I mighta been a contendah)

The other thing I learned from those experiences was that a "Massage" therapist was more functional than a "Physical" thereapist.

I quit taking all the pain killers on a normal basis too.
I allowed myself one or two, Percocets or Hydrocodones, in conjunction with a couple of extra thrength Tylanol's, on an evening when I had nothing going the next day.
I'd lay back and enjoy all the Hyperactivity and dreams going through my drug crazed brain.
Laying in bed was not good. Get up when you wake up.

I agree with the Fly casting suggestion as well.
Your arm gets quite a workout that way. Without hurting anything.
You can vary the stroke and the effort and not get bored to death.
I did it with both arms.
It's really entertaining when you have a Cat trying to catch the end of your line.

Always remember this about exercizing. I learned it from the CardioVascular exercizers.
Do a two minit warmup. (never stretch cold. Always warm up)
Stretch the scheduled stretches. should take about two minits.
Do your scheduled exercizes (should take about 30 minits)
Do the Cooldown walk on the treadmill for two minits
Do the stretching exercizes again.
That's the correct way to do it when you are in the waning years of your athletic lifetime.

Five years later I've no pain in my shoulders. Still some limit to the movments but the pain and the Tiredness feeling finally went away.
[signature]
LMAO Dryrod. I am not suppose to use any weight , but probably cause of the tear.
Not to unload, cause actually I do good, but I have broken my back three times (different spots) and when I started going to therapy on my back, I was told to take at least 1,000 mg of Glucosimine, and 500 mg of MSM. So I take it every day and I really do great.
I got the Joint stuff for Dogs for Elvis, and I gave him one one night and the next morning he was a hurtin' pup. That night I gave him half of each of mine and the next day he was bouncing off the walls. I thought "No way could this have happened in one day" so I tried it again........the same results. Go figure.
So we share my bottle of drugs[crazy]
[signature]
[unimpressed]They had something in ALaska that was used on the sled dogs pretty regular for muscle n' joint aches.

DMSO.

I dont know what it is, but I was going to use some of it before I found out about the swimming pool fix.

The warning about DMSO is that it's a Solvent.
So whatever (malady in your body) it breaks down will be spread all throughout your body by the blood flow.
I dont know exactly what that means either, so I didn't use it.

The Sled dog people really thought it was great for the Dogs though.
[signature]
history is proven that somethings believed to be remedies are often more harmful than they are helpful. I recently watched a show on the history channel and a saw a clay water cooler lined with radium was supposed "envigorate" those who drank the water. As we all know drinking iradiated water is not good for you. I've spent time in in therapy myself and outpatient back surgery and it helped for a while. Few months back my doctor told me I should try going to a chiropractor. found a one in the phone book and started seeing him three times a week. My chiropractor is excelent with patients and makes it easy to understand that benefits of chiropractic care aren't limited to the back. After completeing my initial intensive care I've completely lost all aches and pains in my back and other parts of my body. I honestly would suggest anyone try a chiropractor I'm only 27 and am going to be dealing potential back pan the rest of my life and with regular chiropractic care hope to minimize it.
[signature]
[sly]My First wife always referred to the Chiropractor as "Dr. Krackenbones"

I'm doin OK now. Not bad at all for a continously employed 130 Yr Old Bronc Buster![angelic]

It looks like our weather is starting to break. I'll happily go down to the Barn and round up all my fishing gear some time in the next week or so.
[signature]
we're having some rather odd weather in NE Indiana. mon and tues 30s wed 40ish thur low fifties and back down to the 30s. This is thankfully preventing all the snow from melting at once and flooding the river. which around here would keep us out of the rivers for several weeks after the large amounts of snow we got the week before last.
[signature]