Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kauai Papio Action
[size 4]Since the cool water temperature in the lake has slowed the peacock bass action.... some of us have taken to the salt water for our fishing fix.[/size] [size 4]Over on Kauai the guys have been targeting the papio (that's an ulua weighing under 10 pounds) In this case it's the bluefin trevally which the Hawaiians call 'omilu. It's one of the family of trevally more commonly referred to as GT... Giant Trevally. They are all really aggressive and fun to catch.... good eating too.[/size] [size 4]Mark White sent me some pictures of the papio they've been catching. I know these fish are under 10 pounds because that lure in their mouth is about the size of the tip of your little finger. LOL[/size] [size 4]Thanks for the pictures Mark, so, when are we going fishing?
Aloha,
Stan
[/size]
[signature]
Nice way to adapts Skipper. When the going gets tough, the tough go fishing. Nice fish.[cool]
[signature]
Aloho Surfspot. Feel free to stick around. We can use all the reports that we can from your area.

We do have free registration.

Aloha
[signature]
Hey Mark, cool pictures bro.

I noticed you like that fireline, i'm not quite sold on it yet. Are the Papio a fairly line-shy fish? Could you use something other than a fine, clear line. Say like a 15 lb braid, which would be smaller in diameter than 6 lb mono?
[signature]
[black][size 3]Great photos ! Thanx for sharing those.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I don't find them leader shy that much. Most guys I know use a mono leader. When I use mono line, say 15# test, I'll use a 30# test leader. Mostly because the papio and ulua (GT) head for the rocks and sharp coral. The leader saves wear and tear on the Power-Pro. The GT also have sharp scoots on the side of the tail that can cut a line... or hand, so a leader is nice.

I'm going to try the Ala Wai in Waikiki and use a short wire leader because of all the barricuda. That shouldn't make any difference to the papio.

Aloha,
Stan
[signature]