Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts about a 40 cal vs 45 cal Handgun
I am interested in the 40 cal handguns, and I am thinking about getting one in the near future. I am wondering what your thoughts are as to 40 cal vs 45 cal.

AFDan52
[signature]
Hey Dan,

What are you going to use it for? protection, Target shooting? Talk to me!
[signature]
Actually I'm was thinking both. I'd like to talk to you more one on one later on this if you don't mind.

AFDan52
[signature]
I will pm you my phone Numbers
[signature]
Thanks Mark
[signature]
I personally like the 40 over the 45 because they are generally smaller in size and they are plenty of gun for what (i think) you will need. Plus they are cheaper to shoot. I love my 40 and have no intention of buying a 45. Maybe a 357 sig some day.[cool]
[signature]
I personally swear by the .45

I think the .40 is a great gun also but I like the slow hard hitting .45 (can't beat the stopping power)

They have a softer bite (recoil) then a .40 which is a must faster round then the .45 and I have always been able to hold a much tighter pattern with the .45.

I know there are many models of both guns and I am a creature of habit and have always loved the .45 so others may be able to give you more information about various models of .40's but in my shooting I have just always felt more comfortable with the .45.
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Well guys there are definitly pros and cons to both. I guess my question to Dan is what are you going to primarily use it for? How much are you going to shoot? Will you handload? are you looking for a concealed carry gun? Much to think about. I own two .40's and am about to purchase a Kimber .45 in the next few months
[signature]
I had a Colt 45 autoloader at one point in time, and though it was a nice firearm, i'm not much for the larger caliber pistols. It's big, heavy, and kicks like a mule.

I purchased a Berretta M-9 not long ago, it's the same pistol I carried when I was active duty. It's reliable, accurate, easy to maintain and repair, and cheap to shoot. Of course if you're going to be hunting, a larger caliber would more than likely be needed. And you probably won't want an autoloader either.

I hunted with a Ruger Redhawk .45 with a scope on it. LOL, it's a big gun, but it's big time accurate and nothing is more reliable than a revolver. I'm not a big fan of hunting with a pistol either, but different strokes for different folks.

Personally, a 40 is a 40. 40, 44, 45.............What ever. Sure ones got more balls, and ones got a faster bullet, but the difference isn't night and day. They track the same.

I like compact, tacticle, dependable, and accurate. But, I use my firearms mostly for home defense and senario/target shooting. There really is no gun that doubles as a good home security firearm, AND a good hunting gun, atleast not if you're going to use the pistol as your primary gun for hunting. You don't want an 8" long barrel on a pistol for home defense. You might as well just keep a rifle by your bedside. And you don't want a 4 1/2" barrel autoloader to hunt with, unless you're not planning on taking a shot past 50 or 60 yards. I would suggest you decide exactly what you're going to do, and then make a decision.

Remember one thing, it's not the caliber of a gun that makes it deadly, it's the accuracy of the person wielding it. [cool]
[signature]
.40 seems to be the most popular. I made the mistake of buying a 9mm because I was hoping the wife would shoot it more. Now I'm wishing I would have got the 40 at least.
[signature]
I think I have made my mind up and I thank you all for your input. Thanks for the help everyone. I believe that I am going to research the 40 cal a bit more.

AFdan52
[signature]
I hope you find one you like Dan.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040][cool]You should consider a 10mm[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]