Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What effect does a hurricane have?
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Having lived in So Florida two separate times I was fortunate that I never experienced a direct hit by a hurricane. Always wonder if the salt water fishing change for the good or worse after a hurricane hit your shores. What has been your experience? By the way I have never gone out fishing after an earthquake of which I have been through several. Didn't want to be near the water with after shocks due to come for several days thereafter.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
You know, to be honest, I haven't done enough fishing right before a hurricane to know if there is a difference. Even a small hurricane 100's of miles off the coast creates some pretty big water, so I ellect to keep my butt where it's safe. I've not noticed a difference in the river fishing however, or inshore saltwater fishing. If anything, i'd say the fishing is great right before a big storm hits.

After a storm, i've noticed a dry spell. I suspect with the intense change in pressure, current, and temps, it shocks the fish a bit. Usually after about a week or so the fishing is back on track.

The biggest difference is right before the storm, it seems the fish feed heavy right before it hits. And after, i've noticed the fishing slow down for a few days.
[signature]
I also heard from folks in Florida that some times the old good spots are no more and you have to start from scratch to find fish. I guess it beats up the bottom structure and creates new ones.
[signature]
It does move things around sometimes. But, that's what good 'ol sonar is for. Usually, even after a bad rip, the structure is too far away, if it's moved at all. Sometimes it's just covered or it's change size or shape.

Once you find the structure, and it's been a few days, the fish will settle back in. It's just a matter of time. [cool]
[signature]
i have found the best fishing just before a hurricane,it usuallytakes about a week after for the fishing to return to normal
[signature]
That's about the same conclusion I came to. YOu know what's wierd is I actually think it affects the freshwater rivers and lakes that are close to the coast more than the ocean. How could that be? The change in pressure? Seriously though, I've noticed a way more defined curve in fish behavier away from the saltwater.

You ever notice that?
[signature]
When you get a major low front come in it does mess up the bite. Last spring when we had 4 days of nonstop rain, the fishing was terrible. And of course I was on vacation in a rain coat. [crazy]
[signature]
LOL, I think I remember you talking about that last year. [Tongue] I remember little things like that. It's kinda funny because I can remember a small conversation from a year ago, but I can't remember to wash the dishes when my wife asks me to. [crazy] A mental block maybe?
[signature]