Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okuma
I wanted to see what people thought about the Okuma Magnitude Fly reel:

[Image: i316322sq02.jpg]

I was looking at a combo pack from Cabelas, but I just didn't like what what the reel looked liked, and I wanted something I could use in the saltwater too. This reel has a stainless and teflon drag, and it seems to be a pretty good reel for the money.

I really liked the looks of the Van Staal's, but that's a little bit out of my price range.

I just need something for light to medium applications; bream, bass, maybe spanish mackerel and things along those lines.
[signature]
I saw those in the flyshop the other day. $400+ just for the reel!!!

You want to talk about a good ocean combo?? I have the perfect Fenwick 9010 10wt graphite. I use a Flueger Medalist on it.

Have you ever seen the "Spanish Fly". That fool fishes for Tarpon and Bonefish down in FL with a similar combo. They do hold up wiht some good backbone but still have all the sensitivity on the tip.[cool]
[signature]
What if I told you I could get that reel for under a 100 bucks?
[signature]
That would be sweet. Because the one at the flyshop was right next to their high end ones and they wouldnt budge on price.

It is kind of strange seeing Okuma getting into Fly Swatting gear though. Their fresh and salt stuff is already pretty good.[cool]
[signature]
It's either that or the Van Staal. LOL, I think the Okuma would surfice. So it should be OK for both saltwater and small game freshwater?
[signature]
Sounds good. I may just check into them. I need a couple of new reels for my 5wt and my 7wt. That may be the way to go.[cool]
[signature]
[Smile]I have an Okuma Sierra 4/5. It's light weight and good quality.
It has a Disc Brake for drag, easy to swap spools too.
What I like most about it is the absence of the outer spool. You never have a problem with the end of the tippet getting lost somewhere.
I think I paid $45 for it, and another $24 for an extra spool.
[signature]
That sounds like some good prices. I guess it is finally time to buy some gear.

I do alot of tackle testing and get to keep so much stuff. None of my sponsors have ever sent me flyfishing gear even though it was in my resume.

I do get tons of Freshwater and Saltwater gear though. I guess I need to write a letter to Okuma and have them review my docs again.[cool]
[signature]