Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
meeting on recreational summer flounder
Public Informational Meeting on 2007 Recreational Summer Flounder Fishery Measures

The DEP Marine Fisheries Division is holding a public informational meeting to hear public input on proposed approaches to meet mandatory harvest target reductions for the 2007 recreational summer flounder fishery. Connecticut must implement a reduction in harvest in 2007 to comply with mandatory provisions of the Summer Flounder Fishery Management Plan of the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council and the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission.

The Department is seeking input on various options that include changes to the open season, creel limit and/or minimum size. In addition, the department is also seeking input on whether to pursue regional management of summer flounder with neighboring states. Depending on the strategies adopted, the harvest reduction that would be required would range from 14% to 37%. In the long term, the regional approaches are likely to be beneficial, as was the opportunity to adopt regional management for scup in 2004. In 2007, however, the impact to Connecticut would be greater under the regional approaches.

The meeting will be held at:

7:00 PM, Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Clinton Town Hall, Rose Room
50 East Main St. (Route 1)
Clinton, CT 06413

Take I-95 to Exit 63 (Route 81).
Take Route 81 south to Main St. (Route 1).
Turn left onto Main St., go 0.2 miles. Clinton Town Hall is on the right.
Park in the rear and enter the rear door.
Go down a few steps, and the Rose Room is to the right

For further information, contact the Marine Fisheries Division by mail at PO Box 719, Old Lyme, CT 06371, by telephone at 860.434.6043, or by emailing [url "mailto:dep.marine.fisheries@po.state.ct.us"]dep.marine.fisheries@po.state.ct.us[/url]. (N07-04)
[signature]
Are you going to attend that meeting Tom? That's pretty serious stuff, changing the season and bag limits. Sounds like they are trying to make it difficult on the east coast like it is on the west. Why not just restrict commercial fishing? Just as quick as the DNR preaches to put a fishing pole in a childs hands, they snatch it right back out. They should be supporting recreational fishing, and banning the commercial seasons.
[signature]
unfortunatly i am not going to attend due to a prior engagement.but it is not that easy,as what you said,the commercial,and recreational fishermen are both getting hit,very hard.one main problem is we (conn) has gone over our limit,along with rhode island,mass.,and new york.new jersey is the only one who hasnt.this is not due to fishing boats that have home port in conn.is fishing fleets that come from other states, that dump fish here.to me ,i think that each state should have the control to police who drops fish off.if your home port is conn.thats where you can drop off,if your from new york,thats where you go
from where our home port is,we can hit connecticut,new york,and rhode island waters in minutes,thats how close the state lines are.we carry 3 different regulations to make sure we are not over our limit,or fishing out of season
[signature]
I may try to make this meeting. Just ticks me off that we've come back so well but not enough. [They say]
[signature]
I've said this before, i'm surprised that the strick regs haven't made thier way down the coast. I know Florida is getting hit pretty hard on certain species as well though. LOL, it's going to suck for us, because it's going to hit us from the top and the bottom, comming down from CT and up from Florida.
[signature]
do you feel like the meat,or the chesse in this messed up sandwich????lol
[signature]
Some how I think I don't rate the musterd, but I want to go anyway.[Wink]
[signature]
Fluke Regulations for 2007 Under Scrutiny—Now We Wait
By Captain Morgan
Published on 3/8/2007

The room filled quickly as another row of chairs tried to accommodate a standing-room-only crowd. In the mix were [Image: angler.gif]s [Image: fishing.gif] from shore and boat, as well as those earning a living from chartering and tackle shops. Conversations flowed and thoughts exchanged as temperatures were taken on the topic at hand. It was the night of a public informational hearing on 2007 recreational summer flounder (fluke) fishery measures conducted by Eric Smith, DEP director of marine fisheries.

Options pertaining to size/creel limits, open season, and whether or not to seek regionalization of this fishery with neighboring states were discussed. A regional management approach of fluke would set uniform limits and seasons. If adopted, Connecticut would be faced with a 37 percent cut instead of only a 17 percent reduction in a “state-only” approach. In the long run, regionalizing would probably benefit rebuilding this stock, however, it didn't take long for fishermen's minds to meld suggesting this may not be the time as many felt the cost to Connecticut recreational [Image: angler.gif]s would be too great.

Connecticut was within its harvest target while Rhode Island and New York exceeded theirs by about 45 percent. As a result, this year's numbers are extremely favorable to Connecticut when assessing a regulation change to meet the mandatory harvest reduction set forth by the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council and the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission.

Generally, feeling was for a longer season, although conservation value lies more with an open season than other factors. A shorter minimum size was secondary, leaving the creel limit to fall in place. By opting for a shorter minimum size, it was thought the mortality rate of returned fish would be less. After all the numbers are crunched and options are digested, we probably can look forward to a May 1 through Sept. 19 open season, a creel limit of three or four fish, and a 17 1/2- to 18-inch minimum length.
[signature]
Proposed 2007 Measures: for connecticut
Option..size....bag.........open season..........total reduction
1........18......6......June 7 - Dec 31 ..............14%
2........18......6....April 30 - August 28............14%
3........18......5......May 30 - Dec 31...............14%
4........18......5...April 30 - September 5...........14%
5........18......4.....May 18 - Dec 31................14%

I think it will end up at 18" with a 4 fish limit and a short season .

There are alot of rumors going around well just have to wait and see .
Here are some proposed 2007 measures for new york waters.

Proposed 2007 Measures for Fluke ( New York) :
Other options may be created using the same methodology.

Option..size....bag.........open season..........total reduction
1.......18.0"....4.......June 22 - July 31..........48.8%
2.......18.0"....3.......June 22 - July 31..........49.1%
3.......18.0"....2.......June 19 - July 31..........49.6%
4.......18.5"....4........May 25 - July 31..........49.5%
5.......18.5"....4.........May 6 - July 25..........49.3%
6.......18.5"....4.....June 22 - August 31..........49.3%
7.......18.5"....2.....June 22 - September 12.......49.3%
8.......19.0"....4.......May 6 - August 31..........48.6%
9.......19.0"....4......May 12 - September 9........48.5%
10......19.0"....3.....May 12 - September 9.........48.5%
11......19.0"....2......May 6 - September 9.........49.1%