Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learn something every day
[font "Courier New"][cool][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Never thought about it but I have been trashing the innereds of my mylar tubing cord. Found that it could be useful by in tying other flies. Learn something every day. Duh![/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Just check your recycle bin before the trash man gets there. You would be surprised at the materials that can be used.

If there is nothing of interest in your bin, then do like the other guys and check the neighbors bin too.[cool]
[signature]
[cool] Hey, theres the start of a whole new fourm. The Dumpster Diving fly tying resource center.[laugh]
[signature]
Oooooops[pirate] My Bad![cool]
[signature]
[sly] No reason to feel bad about my crass remark!

But since DryRod brought up the perennial subject of just exactly what all we can make the wings of a good Dry out of...I had some thoughts on that, and I'm gonna subject you to them.

I think fish have a small brain with a pretty good filter for "Food or not-food".

They come up to investigate almost anything. Life is tough for them. The 'first fish to the food gets it' environment.

You've seen fish jump over your fly? Or that swirl right next to the fly? That's their active filter in action.
He got close enough to bite, and something wasn't right!

So...wings. If you make the wings look gauzy, as if the wings are in motion, you MIGHT get a look. That might be good enough to pass the filter, if the fish normally sees the fly in motion.
In order to get that LOOK, I think you'd have to trim the gob so it looks like the whirring motion of real wings in action.

Gauzy wings can be a gob of fur or synthetic stuffing. That stuff DryRod is throwing away, and the rest of us are Dumpster diving for!

On synthetic stuffing, I'm guessing now...the synthetic stuffing might hold tiny bubbles of air, (on the 2nd or third cast) which might be like a bunch of little silver spoons. Good attractors.

Also the fly wont get wet and tend to sink, causing you to make a few Wind casts to dry the fly out.

But if the fish normally sees those wings in a static state, ie 'the bugs not flying' then you better tie them with the creative care of Vargas making one of his nudes.[Image: halo.gif]
That would be a bug tied in a manner that set's on the water, wings up, every time.

Years ago I had some Montana Buck tails. About 30 of them tied in all kinds of variations.
The Prettiest of them caught fish. Eventually all I had left was the ugly ones, untrimmed etc which I gave to a neighbor kid.
The good ones that catch fish eventually get lost through operator error because they get used the most.

A lesson which should prompt a guy to buy a very small camera for capturing the images of the flies that worked before you use them to death or lose them.

Thats what I think right now, in the dead of winter, confined to a warm room, wishing....
[signature]
[black][size 3]Like I said when I started tying, you will look at road kill in a whole new light. I remember going to Idaho Falls one year and on the side of the road was a beautiful Red Tailed Fox. Unfortunately, there was no shoulder in that stretch of road to pull over. I even carry zip lock bags and rubber gloves now.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[reply]
[black][size 3]... I even carry zip lock bags and rubber gloves now.[/size][/black] [/reply]
[signature]
[black][size 3]katghoti, the quote thing is tuff here, what were you saying[/size][/black][Wink]
[signature]
I said in response to "I take ziplock bags and rubber gloves with me..."

Sound like a date!

My wife likes to sew and quilt and I rob her scraps (espcially poly yarn) for flies. Waste not want not.

katghoti
[signature]
[reply]
[black][size 3]Like I said when I started tying, you will look at road kill in a whole new light. I remember going to Idaho Falls one year and on the side of the road was a beautiful Red Tailed Fox. Unfortunately, there was no shoulder in that stretch of road to pull over. I even carry zip lock bags and rubber gloves now.[/size][/black] [/reply]

Ohhhhhh Yummy Yum!
LOL....

I've taken pieces of Road killed Moose and Caribou. Sent them to friends who tie. The Tail area of a White tail deer as well.

I've been a bit reluctant to tackle one of those Skunks though.
I'd think a Porky might be a bit of a challenge as well.
[signature]
[Wink][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Be sure to check with the chef at your favorite restaurant. How do you think that they are able to serve venison all year round? Oh you might have to pick out any headlamp glass from the hide that you want to use. LOL[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[#002850]May also want to get friendly with your local taxidermist. I have been told that they often have excess material from a job they are doing and that in some cases that material is already preserved. So, if it is just trash to them it could be a treasure to you tyers of the flys.. [sly][/#002850]
[#002850][/#002850]
[#002850]MacFly[/#002850]
[signature]
Fur is fur no matter how you acquire it.[Wink]

It's all good![cool]
[signature]