Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AC fishing?
I'll be in Atlantic city the first week of june for a tradeshow and would like to do some fishing in whatever spare time I have. I need some advice about fishing lisences for non-residents. Can I get one online without the hassle of finding a place to purchase one?
I would love to have any suggestions for fishing salt water or if there is some trout fishiing as well. Being from Utah, I don't get much opportunity to fish in the ocean. Thanks.
[signature]
Hey there partner, you can get your liscence right here, online. Here's the link:

[url "http://www.state.nj.us/NJFish/"]http://www.state.nj.us/NJFish/[/url]

Right around that time of year, you should be seeing plenty of action along the coast. Fishing piers and beach fishing should be pretty good. Just your standard two hook drop rig that you can purchase in any coastal tackle store will work just fine. For inshore fishing, pieces of shrimp, cut Pogeys or mullet, and squid seem to be about as good as it gets.

As for equipment, you'll probably want something that will hold around 200 yards of 20 pound test line. That should be OK for what ever you would encounter. I'd say a 7' medium action rod and maybe a spinning reel if you're not acustom to a baitcasting reel. You'll probably want 3 to 4 oz pyramid sinkers if you're going to be fishing close to the breakers. A #2 hook should be fairly universal. [cool]
[signature]
If you are going to fish the ocen side you can surf cast for bluefish and stripers. You will need a 10' surf rod to get the job done so it might be a bit prohibitive. If you can manage it you will rig a frozen mullet or bunker chunk and cast it as far out as possible. If you can find live pogeys or clams they work the best for stripers. Then just wait for a bite.

Fishing the bays and marshes you can hire a guide which would be your best bet. Either way you can fish trout (localy called weakfish) using the 20lb combo with a jig and shrimp combo. Also a white mister twister grub on a jig will get the job done. A guide might also be able to put you on some small stripers or fluke at that time of year.

If you are free for a whole day a ride to Point Pleasant or Barnegat will offer you the opportunity to fish party boats for just about anything that swims. Most boats leave at 7-8 am.
[signature]
I was beginning to doubt whether or not I would get a response. Thanks for the input from both of you. I will definately be purchasing a license online ...thanks for the link. I don't think I'll be investing (or checking it on a flight) in a 10' surf rod for a few hours of fishing, I may just take my chances with my stoutest rod and reel. It looks like I'll have to hunt down a bait shop and get some sort of bait, etc and give it a shot. Last time I was there there were some guys fishing from the rock piers catching what they called kingfish. If you have other advise, keep it coming. Thanks.
[signature]
You don't need a 10' pole, but it does help you get more distance if you're going to surf fish. I was thinking you might be doing more pier or bay fishing. It really depends on how far the breakers start rolling in. The idea is to get your line past where the waves are breaking. That's generally where the fish like to hang out. I know somewhere like Hatteras, NC; those guys have to use 12' rods with 6 to 8 ounce leads just to get to the fish. Massive reels and casts of over 150 yards. But, each beach fishing condition is different. I think you'll be just fine with a standard rod and reel. You might find yourself wading out to get the distance you need, but don't fret. If the water is a little cold for that, just bring some waders. [Tongue]
[signature]