Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FISHING QUIZ...WITH PRIZES
[cool][#0000ff]Hey gang, since Mama Nature is messin' with the fishin', how about a fishing quiz to liven things up for a few days?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got the okay from HQ to put up some of the new goodies from the company store as prizes. We got in some white shirts and hoodies...but still no hats. We will also have some JACKETS soon. Yahooooooo.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We had a similar contest last year where we just asked for everybody to pick what they wanted from the list and tell why they wanted it. Had some fun answers. Let's add some fishing questions to that this year and see what we can come up with.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]AVAILABLE PRIZES:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1 Boat Flag[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1 White hoodie[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1 Long Sleeve Shirt[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1 Short Sleeve Shirt[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1 Muscle Shirt[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]10 Iron On Patches[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A Bajillion Plastic Hook Safes[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]GUIDELINES: One entry per BFT member. No changes to original entry. Winners will be based upon completeness, originality, sincereity, thrifty, brave, clean and irreverent. In other words, anything goes. Be as brief as possible.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First place gets first choice of prizes, Second Place second choice, etc. The main prizes will be sent from HQ. I will send out the hook safes from a large stash I got last year for the Youth Fishing Program and never got rid of all of them. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I could also use some help in judging. Need three volunteers to vote on winners.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]DA QUIZ: [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. What is the Utah state fish?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. What is your favorite fish...and why?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. What is your LEAST favorite fish...and why?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. What is your favorite fishing hole...and why?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. What is your favorite KIND of fishing...and why?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff](fly fishing, ice fishing, drop shot, trolling, jigging, etc.)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]6. What changes would you make in the Utah regulations, if you could, and why?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This contest will run until March 1 and winners will be announced by March 2. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Heres mine:

1. Bonneville Cutthroat Trout

2. Wiper, pretty much in my back yard! 20 minutes driveway to Boat launch!

3. Any trout, cause there slimy!

4. Willard Bay, see #2.

5. Trolling, that way you can drink more beer!

6. Wouldn't change anything, but definatly spend some more money on warm water species programs!

DJOLe
[signature]
1. Bonneville Cutthroat Trout. Prior to 1997, the Rainbow Trout was the state fish.

2. Favorite fish has to be the Cutthroat because of its' beautiful colors.

3. Least Favorite fish is the Carp. We need more carp punishers!! The carp (no offense to our ugly swimmers), have no business being in our waters. They have too many bones, they tend to take over the habitat, they're just....too many!

4. Favorite fishing hole is Bear Lake. It has to be the hardest place I've ever fished, and I like the challenge. If you're lucky enough to hook into a Mac, there's a good chance it will be BIG. And the beautiful color of that lake is just unmatched, period.

5. Favorite kind of fishing is: ICE FISHING. I could name many reasons, but the biggest reason is that there are no water skiiers and jet skiiers tearing up the water next to you.

6. Changes in Utah Regs: I'd put more restrictions on more waters. As Utah grows, so does the pressure on our lakes and streams. In order to keep Utah's Fishing top notch, we need to keep up with the out of control population growth.

Thanks Pat!
[signature]
1. Satae fish is the "Salmo Clarki.
2. Favorite fish is the live ones. They fight better.
3. Carp, they are just sick and wrong.
4. Lake Powell. 300lb days are common. 5 Species days are common. It's hot and the man made attractions dress accordingly.
5. Ice Fishing. No Jetskis, no boat to launch, drive or wash, comradery is beter and the fish taste better coming from the calm ice covered water.
6. I would allow Yuba perch harvest to start on Memorial Day weekend. 10 fish, no cull rule.
[signature]
[size 1][#0000ff]DA QUIZ:
1. What is the Utah state fish?[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff](fly fishing, ice fishing, drop shot, trolling, jigging, etc.)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]6. What changes would you make in the Utah regulations, if you could, and why[/#0000ff][/size]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[font "Arial"][red][size 3]1) Bonneville Cutthroat[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 3]2) Lake Trout - They are the largest fish in this great state![/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 3]3) Catfish - They are ugly and I have never had fun catching them[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 3]4) Moon Lake- Multi species and hidden surprises![/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 3]5) Vertical Jigging- Nothing like putting that jig right in a fishes face![/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 3]6) Up the slot limit on Strawberry to 25 inches but allow one to keep one fish inside that slot limit! 2 fish total![/size][/#ff0000][/font] [font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 3]As soon as fish get to that magic 22 inches, seems like people almost feel obligated to keep them. I think it would give a chance for more fish to get in the mid to upper 20's![/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]

O.K. here is my answers for the quiz....

1 trowser trout j/k bonneville cutthroat (even though it should probably be the june sucker since "we have to protect those")

2 walleye because they keep eating those june suckers and they are te biggest ad meanest looking that i have been able to catch

3 Carp are the worst they are way to over populated in most lakes followed close by the june sucker in 2nd hated fish

4 any fishin hole is my favorite as long as i am out fishing thats good enough for me

5 ice fishing and jigging is pretty much a tie for me since some times it is good and sometimes it is great takes a little more technique then trolling

6 I dont think I would make any changes to the regulations I didnt know there was any regulations anyways j/k I think the only changes are not really regulations but they need to figure out how to irradicate these carp that are in my back yard fishing hole (utah lake)
[signature]
[size 1][#0000ff]What is the Utah state fish?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]6. What changes would you make in the Utah regulations, if you could, and why?[/#0000ff] [/size]
Bonneville Cuthroat Trout

My favorite fish would have to be a big fat mean nasty brown trout. In order for this to be my favorite fish it would have to hit a streamer in a river. Or have slurped a midge off the surface. However, I'm not picky and my favorite fish is whatever is on the end of my line.

Suckers. I hate them. They give you a rush that it might be a nice trout only to find out it is a bugle mouth nasty smelly trash fish. They're ugly and ruin my day.

I'm particularly fond of the Oneida Narrows or Treasureton Reservoir in Idaho. I love the thrill of catching a big fish on a fly rod. I love catching fish period, but I love the whole long feather flinging action of fly fishing. I'll do anything and beggars can't be choosers so I'll fish anything and anywhere. These two places are where I have memories with family and friends fishing.

I think that I answered #5. However, my favorite kind of fishing is fishing with my dad and brother, who is in Nebraska. It's just fun to hang out and fish...even if catching stinks. Family fishing fun is had by all when my bro comes to town.

I would make a few changes to regs. First, I would allow 5 lines while ice fishing. Idaho does this and it's a hoot. It's full contact fishing and excersize as you run around to different poles with bites. I would increase a few limits here and there, especially put and take fisheries where people can go and keep a few fish for the family. I would try to re work a few agreements between irrigation companies to keep the water level of some lakes a little higher, ie Newton, Bear Lake, ect. Newton can and has been a fine fishery until drought ruins it. All in all, I give props to the DWR guys, I think they do a great job. YUBA should be open, Strawberry should have a slot limit for all fish. One thing I would like to see is increased public access along popular rivers, Blacksmith, Weber, Provo, Green. Establish regs to keep these rivers great and a viable resource for all to use. Amen. And two ply at all rest stops and public potties. That cardboard stuff isn't much fun.
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][#0000ff]DA QUIZ: [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]6. What changes would you make in the Utah regulations, if you could, and why?

[black]
1. [/black][/#0000ff]
[black]Bonneville Cutthroat Trout ([/black][/size][/black][/font][black][size 1]ONCORHYNCHUS CLARKII UTAH)
2. Colorado River Cutthroat Trout ([/size][/black][black][size 1]ONCORHYNCHUS CLARKII PLEURITICUS)
This is no other trout in the world as beautiful as a CR Cutt. And, it's native to Utah!
3. Perch.
Non-native, invasive, un-controllable, small, worthless.
4. Minersville Reservoir
Hands down, best rainbow trout fishery Utah has to offer. (small crowds, big fish, short drive-time)
5. Flyfishing
fighting a fish with a "noodle" is a bigger challenge than cranken' em in with spinning rod!
6. Strawberry Reservoir regulation change to include ALL TROUT in the slot (15"-22"). Why? It's the right thing to do. Simplification of regulations, while at the same time creating another trophy rainbow fishery for people to enjoy, as well as added protection to the Cutthroat Trout - which is a necessary component to keeping chubs in check and Strawberry a viable fishery. May is approaching, and all fishing regulation changes need to be submitted to the RACs. Time to start preparing!
[/size][/black]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]

DA QUIZ:
1. What is the Utah state fish? William Clark’s discovery: Cutthroat Trout (of Lewis & Clark fame) Oncorhynchus Clarki

2. What is your favorite fish...and why? Male Brook Trout all decked out in fall spawning colors, because they are so beautifully perfect!

3. What is your LEAST favorite fish...and why? Burbot, because of their potentially (?) damaging introduction into Flaming Gorge. Danged bucket biologists.

4. What is your favorite fishing hole...and why? Strawberry, because of quality of fish and the encouragement of “catch and release” fishing.

5. What is your favorite KIND of fishing...and why? Ice fishing. There’s just nothing else so relaxing as the controlled environment of an ice tent, Mr. Heater by your side, and watching a light snow fall and a wire bobber twitch.

6. What changes would you make in the Utah regulations, if you could, and why? The allowance of a cast net for taking Cisco at Bear Lake. That is such a fun skill, and would create a new option for taking these fish when open water allows.

[signature]
[size 1][#0000ff]1. What is the Utah state fish?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]6. What changes would you make in the Utah regulations, if you could, and why?[/#0000ff]
[/size]

1- The state fish of Utah is the Bonneville Cutthroat Trout.

2- My favorite fish is a tie between Brown Trout and Large Mouth Bass. I've caught a lot of both, and big fish of both. The biggest thing for me is being able to out smart them. Plus they're both aggressive, diverse fish.

3- My least favorite fish are chubs. I don't have problems with a lot of "trash" fish, but chubs, I do. They have a habbit of over taking most fisheries they're introduced into. I guess it's the sign of a brutally successful species, though. Nature at it's best.

4- My all-time favorite fishing hole is Blue Lakes. I know that place like the back of my hand. I caught my first largemouth out of it at about 3 years old, on my own, and a lot of fish anywhere from 3 to 10 pounds. That gin clear water out there is awesome for sight fishing. Plus it's always open water, which is a must.

5- Jigging is my favorite type of fishing, bar none. I've caught more fish on jigs than any other type of fishing I do. I believe it takes a certain skill level to master it. Not everyone can catch fish consistantly on jigs. But it's a skill I've developed, and I use it every time I'm out on the water.

6- Mandatory catch and kill regulations on all fish introduced by bucket biologists. Enough waters around the state have been affected by this crude deal. I know it might make people actually want to plant new fish into new lakes. BUT, I believe it would deter some of the problem.
[signature]

[/size][#0000ff][size 1]6. What changes would you make in the Utah regulations, if you could, and why? [/size]
[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]1) The Bonneville Cutthroat Trout[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2) Bluegill, Because per body weight and shape there is not a harder fighting fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3)Any of the trout species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4)Pelican Lake. Because it is one of the best warm water fisheries in the state. And it has the best Bluegill fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5)Ultra-light tackle with tiny jigs and live bait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]6) Allow the use of live bluegill and perch to be used as bait in Utah Lake. Stocking of Flathead Catfish in warmwater inpoundments.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
1. [size 1][#0000ff]Bonneville Cutthroat Trout[/#0000ff] (my thanks to everyone else cause I had no idea!)[/size]
[size 1]2. Favorite has to be the tiger trout for the beautiful markings and great fight! [/size]
[size 1]3. Least favorite is going to be the lake trout cause I have never been able to catch one of these elusive beasts. Someone please help this poor, deprived individual![Sad][/size]
[size 1]4. Shhhhhhhhh. Secret, secret, I've got a secret! (It's full of tigers and splake and nobody knows about it...yet!)[/size]
[size 1]5. Spinner fishing from the toon with the occasional vertical jig.[/size]
[size 1]6. Let me keep some of those monster perch from Yuba! I swear that there are plenty of them in there.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Here is a little help for the judging: I vote for ME![cool][/size]
[signature]

[#0000ff]6. What changes would you make in the Utah regulations, if you could, and why?[/#0000ff] [/size]
1- Bonneville Cutthroat Trout
2- German Brown Trout; challenge to catch, smarter than any other
local fish.
3- Carp, just take a look at one.
4- BearLake- Variety of fish, never over crowded, always a good chance at 10lb.+fish. Also, not too many other places to dip net ciscos.
5- Ice-Fishing- I hardly ever get a snag, and I enjoy the sound of cracking ice.
6- Mandatory keep and no limit on all illegally stocked fish. I believe this would help reduce the illegal fish numbers.
[signature]
1. Bonneville Cutthroat Trout
2. Any panfish because they inhabit so many lakes and can be caught easily by beginners and my children, plus my wife got hooked on fishing because of crappies.
3. Can't pick one they all have some redeeming quality. Trout taste the worst of any I have eaten but I don't eat carp so I would have to say carp probably but they sure can fight.
4. Starvation is now, quality perch, smallies, walleye and tons of crawfish.
5. I live for ice fishing and just hope the ice holds out for about 3 more weeks somewhere within 120 miles of Layton so I can get my fix when I return from the desert.
6. Make it possible for online updates with emergency closures or openings on waters such as Yuba so fisherman can enjoy the bounty when it is available and quicker closures when problems come up.
[signature]

[/size][#0000ff][size 1]6. What changes would you make in the Utah regulations, if you could, and why? [/size]
1. Bonneville cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki utah)
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Brook Trout, because a 4 inch fish fights like a 14 inch fish. They are also the most colorful fish and are great eating.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. Chubs- most lake that have problems with chubs are eventually poisoned.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. The High Uintas is a big wonderful fishing hole. If the fish are not biting on the lake you are at then you hike for a little bit and you find another lake were the fishing is hot. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. Kid Fishing - It does not matter how you do it you just need to bring along your kids and help them have a great time. Teach a kid to fish and they will have something to do other then drugs or getting into trouble.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]6. I would make the use of treble hooks for bait at Strawberry Illegal. Power bait sticks on a single hook and you have less mortality.[/#0000ff][#000000] [/#000000]
[signature]
1- bonneville cut

2- mackinaw. smartest, longest living, hardest to catch and most rewarding when caught

3- stone fish, had me freaked out while walking in the ocean the whole time i was in tahiti- one bite and your a gone jonston in thirty seconds.

4- lake powell. most extreme fishing i do, dawn til dusk every day.

5- top water plug fishing. the eruption of a large fish on a popper is like no other thrill.

6- enforce the already in place regs of snagging the spawning lake trout in the gorge and bear lake.
[signature]
#1 Bonnevile Cutthroat
#2 Tiger Musky because they make my heart skip a beat when they hit topwater.
#3 I am not going to say the carp because they are a hoot to reel in. I say the lake trout because thus far i have spent over $500 and about 100 hours trying to catch one and have not succeded.
#4 My favorite fishing hole would have to be Willard Bay. It is very close to my house, you can catch as many as 14 different species, the wiper boils are extreme, there is alot of wildlife around, a good place to meet other BFTer's, and the bikini's are superb.
#5 My favorite kind of fishing is throwing lures from the boat or bank. Trolling is sometimes fun, but if you are casting you are more involved in the process. Also, you can more easily change the presentation of your lure.
#6 The thing i would most likely change with the utah regulations would be to allow the use of live bait. I know many other states allow it and they don't seem to have any problems keeping the species in check. It would allow for a whole different approach to fishing situations.
[signature]
HERE ARE MY ANSWERS.

1.Bonneville cutthroat
2. i like catching them all. then make me one out of metal, last a
lifetime.
3. a carp, they need to be havested and controlled better.
4. grey's river in star valley wyoming. beautiful country and
fish together, unbeatable.
5. it's a tie between ice fishing and toon fishing. both are so
relaxing and fun.
6. the use of live bait. used it in wyoming all the time and caught
alot of very hungry nice fish.
[signature]

[#0000bf]DA QUIZ:
1. What is the Utah state fish?
[/#0000bf]
[black]Bonneville cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki utah)[/black]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf][size 1]
[size 2][#0000bf]2. What is your favorite fish...and why? [/#0000bf][/size]
[#000000][size 2]Lake Powell STRIPER...Hook up with one of these mature bad-boys with light tackle- and just try not to grin [sly][/size][/#000000]
[#0000bf][size 2][/size][/#0000bf]
[size 2][black][#0000bf]3. What is your LEAST favorite fish...and why?[/#0000bf] [/black][/size]
[black][size 2]Easy... The Utah chub (Gila atraria)- More DWR funds have been spent in efforts to eradicate this pest that any other.[mad][/size][/black]
[black][size 2]
[#0000bf]4. What is your favorite fishing hole...and why? [/#0000bf][/size][/black]
[size 2][#000000]da Berry... a truly "Uniquely Utah" fishery- Great -4- season fishing-[/#000000][/size]

[#0000bf][size 2]5. What is your favorite KIND of fishing...and why? [/size][/#0000bf]
[black][size 2]Ice fishing with the youngen's... A wonderful way to spend quality 1 on 1 time with your kids, at a time of year that is often under appreciated and otherwise wasted.[/size][/black][#0000bf][size 2]

6. What changes would you make in the Utah regulations, if you could, and why?[/size]
[/#0000bf][black][size 2]Fisher Education... We have hunter ed.- we have drivers ed.- [/size][/black]
[black][size 2]No one should be aloud on these great waters of ours without at least the basic understanding of the regs and "cause & effect"[/size][/black]
[/size][size 2]Institute a "PINK CARD" for all born after 1970 to purchase a license.
[/size]
[signature]
[reply]
[#0000ff]DA QUIZ: [/#0000ff]
1. Bonneville Cut. 2. Tarpon. The ultimate sport fish. From 5-200 pounds. Pick your size and tackle. They're caught in flat, clear, shallow water. On bait, flies, plugs, and jigs. Casting, drifting, sight fishing. When hooked, it jumps to heights twice its body length, over and over again. Large ones will run for literally miles. They're bright and silvery, very attractive to the eyes. Challenging, but very catchable with proper timing and technique. 3. Smallmouth Bass-not a bad fish in larger sizes, but WAY, WAY overrated. Smaller than a largemouth, less tasty than a perch. Does not live up to the hype. Always part of that silly "pound-for-pound" discussion. 4. Spanish Harbor Channel in the Florida Keys. Great tarpon fishing day and night. It has never snowed there in the history of man. Flats, the channel, and 3 bridges all hold fish. 5. Dry Fly fishing. It's quiet, brings you close to the fish, usually takes you into the water, doesn't involve heavy tackle or lots of it, and is just kinda pretty. Just you and the water; with a box of flies, spool of tippet, some clippers, and some floatant. Everything fits in a couple shirt pockets. You see the fish, present the fly, and see the fish eat. Pure and simple. 6.Please, please close Linwood Bay to stop the massacre! The snagging must stop. Its unethical, illegal, and sets a terrible example for all fishermen.
[signature]