Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alabama Pros Dominate BassMaster Classic
[size 1]Feb. 23, 2007 - Birmingham, AL)... Three Alabama pros took the first step toward reversing the "Classic curse" for homestate anglers. Thirty-six Bassmaster Classics have been completed and an angler hailing from the host state of the Classic site has never won the marquee event.

Cotton State anglers scored three of the top four positions with Classic rookie Boyd Duckett from Demopolis in the lead. The winner of the event on Alabama’s Lay Lake will take home the $500,000 top prize and the most important title in competitive fishing.

Coverage of bass fishing’s equivalent to the Super Bowl kicks off Saturday morning on ESPN2 at 7 a.m. ET. ESPN2 will air 10 1/2 hours of coverage over Saturday and Sunday.

Duckett, who qualified for the Classic as well as the 2007 Bassmaster Elite Series via his performance in the 2006 Bassmaster Southern Tour, boated five bass weighing 19 pounds, 14 ounces. He leads Springville, Ala., angler Randy Howell, who boated 17 pounds, 15 ounces, and California’s Skeet Reese with 17 pounds, 8 ounces.

Muscle Shoals, Ala., pro Tim Horton was in fourth with 17-5. Florida pro Terry Scroggins rounded out the top five with 17 pounds, 0 ounces.

Duckett’s five-fish limit was anchored by an 8-pound, 2-ounce largemouth that was the Purolator Big Bass of the Day, earning him a $1,000 premium.

"Obviously, that 8-pounder is what’s got me in the lead today," said Duckett, who has a wealth of experience on Lay Lake. "I tried to put myself in position to get big bites. I hope I can keep executing when I get the chance to put one in the boat."

Duckett is fishing his first Classic. The 46-year-old said he made a decision to target the lake’s largemouth bass instead of the fishery’s more abundant spotted bass. He played it close to the vest on the specifics of his leading pattern.

"I’m fishing a little bit different than the traditional Lay Lake patterns most anglers fish this time of year," he said. "Traditionally at Lay, you fish a jig right in the heart of the grass. But that’s not what I’m doing."

In contrast to Duckett, Howell is a veteran Bassmaster Elite Series competitor who is fishing his sixth Classic and also holds a BASS win. Howell and Reese were fishing in close proximity on 12,000-acre Lay.

"I’m fishing a jig, which is no secret," Howell said. "There is not much else you can do"

Reese, a two-time BASS winner and part of an emerging contingent of successful West Coast anglers, surprised himself with a third-place start after enduring the worst pre-Classic practice effort in his seven appearances.

"When I started out this morning I had no areas that I felt were productive," the 37-year-old said.. "I had one area where I caught two three-pounders in practice. I only had five bites in two days of practice."

There are nine Alabama pros participating in the 37th Classic. Warrior’s Gerald Swindle is ninth with 14-10; Aaron Martens of Leeds and Prattville’s Russ Lane are tied for 14th with 13-13.

After Saturday, the field will be cut to the top 25. Extensive Web coverage of the event can be found on www.ESPNOutdoors.com and www.Bassmaster.com.

The 2007 Bassmaster Classic is hosted by the Greater Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau. The tournament will receive 11 1/2 hours of television coverage on ESPN2.

Sponsors of the event include Toyota Tundra, Triton Boats, Mercury Marine, Purolator, Berkley, Advance Auto Parts, Lowrance Electronics and MotorGuide.

BASS is the worldwide authority on bass fishing, sanctioning more than 20,000 events through the BASS Federation Nation annually. Guided by its mission to serve all fishing fans, BASS sets the standard for credibility, professionalism, sportsmanship and conservation, as it has for nearly 40 years.

BASS stages bass fishing tournaments for every skill level and culminates with the Bassmaster Classic. Through its clubs, youth programs, aquatic resource advocacy, magazine publishing and multimedia platforms, BASS offers the industry’s widest array of services and support to its nearly 530,000 members. The organization is headquartered in Celebration, Fla.

For more information, contact BASS Communications at (407) 566-2208.[/size]
[signature]