Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stingers!
[black][size 4]A good friend of mine got me all fired up on Bunny Stingers tonight. Kept catching my self with the stinger, so thinking of calling them the Waskully Wabitt, Or the Elmer's Fud:[/size][/black]
[inline "Waskully Wabbit 002.jpg"]
[black][size 4][/size][/black]
[signature]
That looks like a good fly for LMB. Sometimes they like to just bite the tip of a minnow to stun it first. That fly would guarantee a hook up on the first strike.[cool]
[signature]
wow..looks killer I like the wabbit...lol..

btw..got the envelope of flies...even had the grandkids looking at em ...thank you...

MacFly
[signature]
That's a killer looking fly. I like the stinger deal. I was thinking about fish that sometimes strike at only certain parts of the bait's body. Like Bream for instance. I don't know how many times i've been fishing for bream with crickets and when I get a bite, I reel back in a head w/ no tail, or a tail w/ no head. They either get one part or the other. Once one end is bitten off, they loose interest in the bait. I'm sure there are plenty of other species of fish that hunt in a precise way like this, and a stinger rigged in the mix would be a certain fix for this problem. [cool]
[signature]
FG, It looks like the fly base is still all the way out to the end and then the stinger is just danglinging there.

What is going on with that?

Are you pulling on the back of the fly just for a better view of the fly and stinger?
[signature]
[black][size 3]I took two equal lengths of Zonker. Put the scud hook on 3X flouro and threaded it on a needle. I then literally threadered it through both strips of bunny with a loop knot holding the scud so it could wiggle. Went about 1 to 1 1/2" up. Then I poke a Streamer hook through the bottom strip, folded both strips back and secured the flouro to the streamer hook. Leaving the thread back by the bend, I folded the zonker strips over the streamer hook and ribbed the thread up the hook. I then added flashabou strips down the side and put a marabou (soft Hackle style) collar on it.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]A fish sips at the tail, they are gonna get hooked.[cool][/size][/black]
[signature]
[unsure]Lemmesee if I can get some of that information in American English here?
Is there a Trailing hook in that fly?
What size is it?
What size is the leading hook?

That's all dyed Bunny?

I have to say it looks fetching! I used Leeches looking like that (maribou) in the Cold water lakes of Alaska. That should work good.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Thudpucker, there is two hooks. The first (the one that is in the vise) is a streamer hook size 6 with the Orvis anodized aluminum cones and at the tail is a size 12 scud hook. The whole fly is about 4" long from eye of hook to tip of rabbit hair.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I am going to tie some a little smaller to try on the Provo.[/size][/black]
[signature]
threaded it on a needle. I then literally threadered it through both strips of bunny with a loop

You can't sew
[signature]
hmmmmmmmm is this inside family secrets coming to light for all of us to see
[signature]
You don't really need a stinger hook with a Cricket. You should be using an Aberdeen hook. They have a much longer shank with a normal hook gap.

Here is a picture
[Image: aberdeen.jpg]

compare that to the live bait hook
[Image: livebait.gif]

The Aberdeen hook and a cricket go hand in hand. All you got to do is stick the long shank right up the Crickets ............oh oh. Insert it where you think it would do the most benefit. Ya know what I mean?? Then you tie it on to the line.
[signature]
That's all I use bro, aberdeen hooks in a chartruess color. They love the shine, it really ticks them off. I also thread them in a very similar fashion. I start on the joint of the back and thread it through the entire abdomen. Bream aren't stupid though, they know where the hook is. Even with the hook buried in his rear end, I still bring back heads. LOL, those little ankle biters can be a pain. But, i've graduated since then and found a bait that works better and is harder to get off the hook; Wax Worms. I never go to a lake or river without them.

I've always used a longer shank hook for bream though. They have a tendacy to swallow the hook and all right to the gut. And they aren't worth 2 cents to me if they're not alive. I don't fish for bream for food, I fish for bream for live bait for big catfish. So, it's kinda a duel concept. I have more than one reason to preserve the life of the little fellas. For bait and if they aren't the size I prefer, I can safely send them back to grow or for another angler to catch. [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]TubeN2 I have both those hooks on the stinger. Small one is a #12 and the streamer is a #6.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Naw, the only time we use stingers in the hood, "south east mich" is when we are a targetin pikies...

(you know them sharp toothed "sob's")

sorry its the rum a talkin,,, I got the bug...
[signature]
photo just came though... thats deadly.. thanks for the show and tell...
[signature]
That's cool. I love those aberdeens. They can get away with more tricky stuff than the bait hooks.[cool]
[signature]