Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
broke my personal perch record today
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=25822"][Image: winner.gif][/url][/center][center][#ff0000]week ending 3-8-03[/#ff0000][/center] [center][url "http://www.calfishing.com/dc/user_files/843.jpg"][Image: MESS3307CustomImage2183333.jpg][/url][/center] [center][#ff0000]click on pic for larger pic [/#ff0000][/center]

I wanted to fish surfrider beach for the incoming this morning but the outlet channel was too deep to cross. So I fished the beach north and south of the Malibu pier. I kept throwing a 3in Hammer swimbait on a 1/4oz head but didn't get any solid hits for the 1st hour and a half. I made it all the way to the rocks south of the pier and decided to call it a day.

As I was walking back, I was feeling really good about walking along the beach (it was a beautiful day) so I decided to throw out a few more casts north of the pier. All of a sudden a fish hits and starts peeling out drag! I had lost a fish before this so I was being very careful so that this fish would stay glued. After a nice battle I saw the lunker perch in the photo come riding up onto the sand. Didn't measure it or weigh it but it was fat and the biggest perch that I've ever caught. I released it and casted out again and another fish started pulling drag! The next one was only about a pound and a half. It would've been the prize catch during a standard day but I was jaded after the last fish. [Image: wink.gif] I released that one and I only got little hits after that. Both fish were caught on a prism rainbow color 3" Big Hammer swimbait with a 1/4oz head.

Tom
[url "http://www.tacklethief.com"]www.tacklethief.com[/url]
nice fish , real nice fish !

we had a young guy her who didn't know what he caught , a state record jumbo pearch ( freshwater ) 16-7/8 ,3 lbs 14 oz . it would have won by weight , but he probbably ate it .

i admire you for your catch and release , true sportsman !
[signature]
SWEET Master6777, Congratulations!

Are you going to the Fred Hall Show?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
I'll be at the show all day tomorrow and possibly one day this weekend. I can't wait!! Wink
[signature]
hi , guys , just curious , whats the fred hall show all about ? i haven't heard of it before , it sounds like a real big deal . sports show ?
[signature]
thank 's for the info , i'm a little wiser now . and jelous too !

all that tackle just waiting to find me !
[signature]
The California State record for a barred seaperch is 4 lbs 2 ounces. I really can't envision a perch that big. Some veterans have told me of 5 pounders caught and that really blows my mind.
[signature]
congrats ! super deal here , breaking your own record , and then letting it go back in for someone else to have a go at it ! true sportsmanship ! great pic of you and your catch too ! hope to hear more of your costal adventures soon .

your pal , lonehunter
[signature]
I caught a Barred Surf pearch at Santa Onofre Beach,a couple weeks prior to the F.H.S. LB,that measured 17in' in lenght,but when ready to scale it,it started to drop babies!!! I absolutly FREAKED! and put her and her little ones back,they all made it,but "I" will definately handle a Surf Perch more respectfully in the future.Meaning No Matter How HUGH they are,It seems best to allways use light bronze circle hooks,and increase there chances for the future.I've caught many pregos before but this one was a football !!!!GREAT JOB on THE REALEASE!!!and the Personal Best!!!
[signature]