Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and just wanted to say whaaaatttss uppp.
Can't wait to share some fishing stories and tips with everyone.

Fish on everyone

By the way Curt, Nice Float Tube! I was thinking about buying one but ended up with this Gheenoe instead. Its perfect on Nelson, Just let me know if you want to fish it sometime.
[signature]
Welcome aboard james!![Smile] i'm gussing your from the ND area?? let us know what kind of fishing you do and all that other stuff, maybe we could give you some tips to help you out.

By the way, you have a really nice set up going there, i wish i could get my hands on something like that around here so if you have any info on how you got a hold of that let me know Smile
[signature]
Hey James! Glad to see you found your way over here![Smile] It's great to have another bass angler like you on board!

I love my float tube. I need to take an updated picture of me on the water with it though.

That's a REALLY nice boat! I kept telling my dad that I wanted a little boat and it took too long so I ended up buying that float tube. Then about 3 of 4 weeks later my dad bought a little 14 or 16 footer. Havent been out on it very much. I use my float tube way more.

That would be cool if we could meet out at Nelson sometime maybe this spring. Maybe Mike can come too (toopuretodie)!

Tight Lines and Welcome!
[signature]
Welcome to the BFT message boards partner! We look foward to seeing your posts!

Bryan D.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Jamesavp,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Welcome aboard ![/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I like that Gheenoe you got there ! I've looked at those, but currently I have a "Tin boat" and a float tube to get me around on the water. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I've heard those Gheenoes were pretty stable. Have you a quick short review of it you could share ?[/size][/black]
[signature]
WELCOME ABOARD JAMES!!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
[Wink] Hello jamesavp,

Welcome aboard and glad to have ya. I hope that we here can help you with your fishing days and make your times out much more productive. And then who knows, MAybe you can help all of us.[Wink]

RILEYFISH
[signature]
Welcome aboard jamesavp. It's good to see another bass fisherman here on the boards. That little boat you have sure looks nice.

Please be sure to share some more reports and pics with us.[cool]
[signature]
I'm glad you've joined us James. Welcome aboard.
[signature]
I bet that sucker skips across the water !!!!!!!

I've got a 17' flatbottom river boat that needs my 280 lb. fishing buddy in the bow just to keep it from flipping over at full throtle .

Do you use a thru-hull transducer or is it mounted outside the hull ?
[signature]
Hey James welcome aboard, from the looks of your avatar you must be a serious bass angler. We all look forward to your input and expert opinions.
[signature]
Wow, Theres alot of people in this forum. As for the boat it handles very well. Perfect for small water lakes. If I'm smart about it I can put it in Audoban, I have to watch for heavy winds though. I stand up and fish quite a bit out of it. I have the transducer on the back, even when riding at full speed the transducer does very well and I don't get any feedback from the engine. I am very pleased at how it performs. I used to fish out of one of these in Florida, red fishing.
[signature]
Sure I will give a review. Gheenoe was created by Harley Gheen in the 60's. He was senior designer at Cape Canaveral Space center in Florida. He wanted to come up with something stable and easy to load and un load.

The biggest thing he came up with is the air pockets on the sides of the gheenoe act as pontoons. increasing stability.

My Gheenoe is 15'4 Length / 3'8" Beam / weighs 120lbs (no equipment)/ weight capacity = 675lbs/ maximum HP rating of 10hp
I drove to Wisconsin to pick it up. They are only made it Titusville Fl. The only reason the dealer at Wisconsin has them is he knows the Mgr at Titusville. It cost me $650(boat only). can't beat that price. I took a road trip last year to pick it up.

My Gheenoe upgrades = nice comfortable Swivel seats, 1990 yamaha 6hp outboard. 35lb thrust motor guide Tolling motor. Working aerator and livewell in center of boat(haven't lost a fish yet). Color fisheasy 320 fishfinder. I put alot of work and money into this little guy to kick some bass. I probably have the only Gheenoe brand boat in North Dakota[Smile]. Everyone who see's it say what the heck is that!

Here are some more picks up close
If you can spend a little more money go buy the 16ft Classic Gheenoe. It is bigger and rated for 40hp engine[shocked]. Ive seen them in action and they are fast.
[signature]
Buy the way guys, this is how I used to fish out of a Gheenoe back in Florida. The guy on top is Matt, I fished with him all the time.
[signature]
wow thats a great boat James! Not going to lie, I am very jelious[Tongue] That is a great looking boat. It's perfect for north dakota lakes for how small it is!!!

I think i need to start saving some money![cool]
[signature]
hey james,
how much all together would you say you spent on your boat?
[signature]
Gheenoe $650
Trailer $350
engine $250
fishfinder$220
Livewell $30
seats $100
trolling M $99
battery $30

total $1,729.00

You can cut cost in alot of places if you go with cheaper add ons. To fish small lakes you dont need an outboard. Trolling motor works just fine. All you really need is boat,Trolling motor, battery. Swivel seat are a nice but not necessary.

It can fit in the back of a big pickup truck if you have one. You might need that extender that they sell for a truck. the extender goes in the hitch and gives you a little more extention for around 100 bucks.
[signature]
My set up is similar to yours but I modified some stuff .
I have 2 humminbirds , one Wide 3-D is mounted near the outboard (9.9 Merc , due to engine size restrictions on some Michigan lakes ) with the transducer mounted near the bow using J.B. Weld to secure it .
The second is a Wide One 3-D that I hardwired directly into my trolling moter , the screen is mounted to the throttle controll box and the transducer is mounted to the directional moter casing , also on the controll box is a bow light .
I fish a lot of rivers that have bolders and submerged logs , the debth warning (bow mounted )has save my Merc from several near misses . The trolling moter allowes me to sit in the bow and hold a position without ancoring and see the steelhead and salmon while fishing .

The seats are aluminume as you would find in any boat from the 50's , I cut storage bins into them for Shimano tackle containers and my battery to fit into and then coved the holes with 10 gauge alum. plate with marine plywood as seat covers , hinges and lock hasps keep everything safe .
Velcro straps are used as rod holders and a short piece of P.V.C. pipe holds the net in place .
I use a wooden handle to secure the anchor rope to the deck . The anchor rope has a twist lock hasp on it to change from a regular anchor to a drift anchor when needed .
A compass is mounted near the stern for those foggy days , and maps of the rivers I fish are drawn in marker then polyeurathane coated on my deck , a light sprinkiling of sand makes the deck slip resistant .

Like you , there aren't many of my boats around but , man it does the job just the way I want it too !
[signature]
Man that is too cool, nice drum in that pic too. I love seeing stuff like that, a little knowledge, some elbow grease and you saved at least $30K when compared to buying a boat that floats in 6" of water. Two thumbs up in my book.
[signature]