Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baitcasting
I'm about to go buy my first baitcasting setup and unfortunately can't spend more than a couple hundred for the combo. Any suggestions as to which ones should be considered or shunned? Right now I'm looking most seriously at the Cabelas Prodigy and the Pflueger President. Any insight from those with more experience than I would be very welcome!
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey jnbsigma,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Welcome to BFT ![/size][/black]
[black][size 3]For your price range of $99-$129 as you stated, you should be able to get into a fine casting reel. Cabelas, Pflueger,Quantum and Abu Garcia all make reels in that range that are pretty reputable.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Personally, I have 4 Abu Garcias, 3 Quantums and 1 Shimano baitcasting reels.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Since you are new at this, you might want to consider whether you want to look into left hand models - those are casting reels that you crank with your left hand just like most spinning and fly reels. I use left hand models exclusively - I find it much more comfortable.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]In the old days (back when I picked up my first casting reel) the manufacturers did not make left handed reels - only right handed ones. Now-a-days, most of the manufacturers are making the left hand models.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I guess the first question to be answered, would be what kind of fishing are you intending to do with that casting reel ? Catfish, Bass, Pike, Muskey ? Salt water, Bait fishing, Trolling ? The answer to these could have an impact on which reel you should consider. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]For example: As your first reel(depending on the fish species and application), I might suggest, that you look at a medium retrieve speed reel (in the 5:0 to 5:3 range) as that is where many of the applications in fresh water would be. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]However, if you were targeting catfish, I might recommend a lower ratio. Or, if you were going to primarily fish for large muskeys and would be using the reel to toss big spinners and burn them to cover lots of water, I might suggest a higher ratio. The lower the ratio, the more cranking torque and the higher the ratio, the faster the retrieve speed.[/size][/black]
[signature]
To roll with what fishhound was saying, what are you planning of fishing for, specifically. It will make a big difference in what model reel you choose.

Just for the record, the Abu Garcia's, for the money, is the way to go. You can get a very nice combo, rod and reel, for under 120.00 dollars.
[signature]
Oops, the "guest" above is actually me (jnbsigma). Forgot to sign in! [laugh]
[signature]
Here's an example of a high quality Abu:

[url "http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0036081120596a&navCount=3&podId=0036081&parentId=cat20331&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20331&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20331"][Image: p036081ii01.jpg][/url]

C3 4600

It holds 170/10lb line and is only 75.00 bucks. It has 3 ball bearings and is as smooth as a babies bottom.

[Image: i119165sn02.jpg]

The short butt should be perfect for a float tube, and a 6 footer won't cost you but about 50 bucks. This is the Eagle GT model.

So, for about 125.00, you'll have a killer, tube friendly casting outfit. [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Ok, since I just checked your other posts and found out you are kind of in my area. I can help narrow down the options a little bit better. Are you in the Salt Lake area ?

Sportsmans in Midvale has Abu Garcias for cheaper (the 5500 C3 is $69 - plus Abu has a factory rebate going on right now to cut off another $10). There are also a number of low profile baitcasters available in your price range (depending on if you want a round reel or a low profile).

At Cabelas, they have a couple of Cabelas Gold Label Rods in 6' medium and 7' medium heavy for about $49. Those are nice starter set-ups for a reasonable price that will cover many applications. However, you only mentioned types of presentations that would be better applied with heavier duty gear than the typical all around set-up might provide. Therefore, I would lean towards the Medium Heavy rods.

Now here are the caveats. You mentioned Spinner baits, buzzbaits and single hook plastice for bass (I am assuming you meant heavy bass jigs and not the small finesse jigs here). Those three types of presentations would be optimized by using different equipment. This is what I mean; For buzzbaits, you would be better served by having a 6'6" Medium heavy rod with a higher ratio reel (6.2 ratio) spooled with 17-20 lb. line(14 lb would be the absolute minimun I would use, and then, only if the cover were sparse). The same set-up would work for a Jig and Pig presentation in cover - with the exception of the reel - no need for high speed with a Jig. You also would not need high speed for slow rolling a Spinner Bait. But in both of these two latter cases, you would still want heavy line if you are in heavy cover.

The only real application for 12 pound line for bass that I would use is for crankbaits and then I might even consider 10 pound line if I were going deeper with the plug. For anything less than 10 pound, I would consider it a finesse presentation and I would personally employ a spinning rod set-up for that.
[/size][/black]
[signature]
Thank you both for the awesome tips! Looks like the heavier setup might be the one for me. If I can keep things closer to the $100 range, I'm sure it won't be too much trouble finding more gear to add to the arsenal. By the way Fishhound, I live in Provo so I've got Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse closest to me. If they don't have the same deal at the Sportsman's down here, I may have to truck it up there to check things out. Where are you from? (I'd ask the same of Tarpon4me, but his signature already gave him away!) Thanks again.
[signature]
LOL, yeah, I pretty much leave all the info in my signature. I'm glad we were able to help. Make sure and keep us updated with what you got and how you like it. [cool]
[signature]
I'll let you know for sure when I make the final decision. Can't wait for the ice to clear so I can get out on the open water again! Thanks again for the help.
[signature]
I would go with the ABU. You can get it in right handed or special order one in left handed. It all depends on what you are more comfortable with.

The Fenwick is a nice choice too. Berkly Lightning rods, Cherry Sticks are also good.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the tip! I think I'll head up to Cabelas and try to get a feel for whether left or right-handed would be most comfortable. Does it cost extra to special order a lefty from Abu if I decide to go with that? Also, do you think it would be better to buy from Cabelas or somewhere that I can take it back if it goes bad or am I better off saving a little money and getting it from ebay or something?
[signature]
They are usually the same price. Some stores will give you a "Line" that the lefties are more expensive. Bull!! They cost the same regaurdless.

I only use the lefty baitcaster when I am topwater fishing. Sometimes a Bass will explode on it so fast that you need to have a quick reaction time too.

Unless it was a dissposeable reel, I would prefer to buy it from a local dealer. It is easier to handle any warranty repairs that way.[cool]
[signature]
Sounds like good advice, thanks again. By the way, have you taken your new tube out yet?
[signature]
You are welcome.

I am still working on the accessories for it. I don't know when I will have time to get it out withing the next couple weeks.

I fish every day but mostly from my boat. I do that for the tackle testing. I should have something together by next weekend.[cool]
[signature]
Sounds good, I look forward to the report! [cool] I think I'm kinda leaning toward the ODC 420 (the poor man's SFC) for my upgrade. It'll probably be a few weeks before those plans materialize, however ($$$).

Also, as far as the baitcasting setup goes, I think I may have found my match--an [url "http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0043368122110a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=revo&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=revo&noImage=0"]Abu Garcia Revo SC reel with a Fish Eagle XML 6 1/2 foot 2-piece medium heavy rod[/url]! The combo runs for $200 less a $10 factory rebate from Abu Garcia (thanks for the heads up, Fishhound!). It's a bit fast (7.1:1), but this way I'll be able to zip some muskie lures across the top as well as slow things down with worms, jigs, etc. along the bottom with a slower retrieve. I went up to Cabelas the other day and tried it out a bit--smooooooth!
[signature]
what about an ugly stick?
[signature]