Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun on the Middle Provo
Have been a member for some time, but nothing worth posting.
Spent Wed. 2/28. fishing the middle section of the Provo. Cought several on a good old Hares Ear, #18. That seems to be my best bet, with a Prince Nymph 10 to 12 inches above it. Been my old standby for Many years. My grandson Tanner, loves fish, catching and eating. He has ADHD, but when his parents game him a flyfishing outfit for Christmas, I thought he would have a hard time flyfishing. On his 3rd time out he caught 7 fish, kept some for supper and released some. I Love watching and helping him catch fish, It is more satisfying than catching them myself!!
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there Tannersgrandpaw - glad that you finally made your first post. Great news to hear that Tanner was able to handle a fly rod and that he caught 7 fish to boot. Let us know now and then how you are all doing. Good luck.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for sharing partner, and welcome to the boards!

I am also just getting started in fly fishing. ALot of the members on this site are helping get things going. I mostly fish the ocean and a couple rivers here in SC, but i've never used a fly reel before. Hopefully i'll have as much luck my first time out with mine as your grandson did. [cool]
[signature]
[Wink]Yep, Tanner's gonna teach Papaw that it's no longer important to see that it's done right and proper.
But that having fun while your doin it is the right n' proper way to do it!

Feb 28 in Utah? The must equal about 28 Degrees out eh?
[signature]
[black][size 3]Tannersgrandpaw, glad to hear your report. Was he fly fishing? [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The middle is my favorite place to go and I have found a few honey holes, which it sounds like you have done the same.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]How is the flow? I am thinking with the warmer weather expected for next week of getting up to the middle.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]One more question, did you check the lower? I was wondering if there waas any place to park with all this snow we have got.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Yes Tanner was flyfishing. however He loves all kinds of fishing. Last fall we were at Deer Creek off the bank, he was keeping me busy getting his fish off & ready for the next one. He wanted to move somewhere else to catch Walleye & Largemouth Bass, he was tired of trout. The stream flow on the middle sec. was about the same as it has been all winter. I drove thru Provo canyon, It looked good, but to cold for this old man.
[signature]
TGP

thanks for the post...sounds like all have fun on the outing... I take my grandson out when I can.. usually set him up with a spincasting set up/ water fillable bobber, and a smaller tippet that ends with a fly .. he loves it since in his mind fishing is casting out.. letting it settle for a bit.. then reeling in and doing it all over.. at times like that I rarely rig my rod cause I know I wont get much fishing done.. but would not trade that day of fishing with him for anything else in the world...

MacFly
[signature]
Welcome aboard Tannersgrandpaw. We are glad to have another flyswatter on board.

I used to love fishing the Provo and Deer Creek when I was in UT. Thanks for the update and I'm sure that Tanner is really stokes after such a good day.

Please feel free to hang out with us. We are a bunch of good ole boys & Girls here and always welcome nice reports and questions.[cool]
[signature]
Just noticed your ??? about parking on the lower Provo. (Old folks just don't pay enough attention!) Snow is not much problem, but from the Sundance turn off, on up to the dam there is alot of construction blocking much of the parking plsces.
[signature]
[black][size 3]That is what I was wondering. Too bad, I would love to go after some of those honey holes there. The middle is just getting so slambed, it doesn't seem to matter when you go.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I am glad you had a great day and super happy the hear that the young man is taking on fly fishing and apparently do quite well.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Thanks again for the report and maybe I will see you and the grand son up there. Just look for the crazy RED head![laugh][/size][/black]
[signature]