Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Place For Fishing
My friends and I are going fishing next week and we haven't been catfishing before. I've caught crappie and bass before, and kind of know where to look. but whats the best places on a lake to look and catch catfish. Any tips on what bait and rigs would help
[signature]
Welcome to the Big Fish Tackle message boards. We are honored to have you as a new member. We have quite a few different Cat fishermen on the boards.

When you are in a lake, watch for wherever the freshwater source comes in. The Cats will generally hang out there.

If the lake happens to be spring fed from inside somewhere, then just locate the springs.

Are you going to be fishing from the bank, boat, float tube, kayak, or pontoon??? That could make a diffence as to where you should set up and how to go about the rigs.

What is the name of the lake??? There is a chance that I may have been there before and could give you some pointers as too some good spots there. What State is the lake in also. That would help since there are some states with lakes of a similar name.[cool]
[signature]
Fishing in a lake? Channel or Bull Cats it is.

Find structure with depth. Chicken livers are a great bait. Channel and bullcats love those things. Use about a 5/0 hook. The cats probably won't be nothing massive, so that's all you'll need. You can use a standard 2 hook drop rig for these cats. They aren't line shy.

A little trick with the chicken livers, freeze them first. They'll be alot less messy to put on the hook, plus they'll stay on better.

What lake are you fishing? There might be larger species there. If so, that would change your tactics a bit.
[signature]
The lake is in central missouri called Mark Twain Lake. my friends and I bought some waders and plan on using them.
[signature]
The North Fork and the Middle Fork are best over there. Try to find some good live bait if you can.

There are some good Flat Head Catfish that come out of that lake. If you can go in deep enough with your waders, you can play the shorlines for some good Walleye too.

Bright orange spoons or jigs will usually do the trick.[cool]
[signature]
i love this place extremely informative
[signature]
We try our best to help whomever we can. Since we have anglers here from all over, it easier to give advice in various areas.

I'm glad you enjoy this site. We all just call it home sweet home.[cool]
[signature]
Shrimp is a good catfish bait too![Wink]
[signature]
I like turkey livers they stay on the hook better than chicken livers and work just as well. You can also use shad sides, dip bait, dough bait, small bluegill or sunfish. I've even see people use marshmellows I don't know if they work but they were using them.
Right on fishergirl23, shrimp works great for channels, bulls, and other related cat species. It's hard to find it in the tackle stores in some areas. You're in KY right? You're probably close enough to the coast to get fresh bait shrimp in your local tackle stores or seafood markets. On that same note, squid works pretty good as well, as long as it's fresh.

I remember I went catfishing with shrimp one time. The fishing was really slow, and we built a fire and cooked the bait and ate it. LOL So, if you're taking shrimp with you, keep it fresh, it might just save the day after all. [cool]

Thanks for sharing fishergirl.

BTW, how the rod hunt going?
[signature]
I can get fresh shrimp at Walmart. Crawfish tails work good too. I have never tried using squid, but i don't know how accesable it is here in KY.[cool]

Still working on the rod. I will keep you updated.
[signature]
[black][size 3]And to think all I ever worry about is what feather or other material to use to make my fly look like real food. LOL[/size][/black]
[signature]
That's why they call it bait fishing. Certain fish will hit on sight. Others by scent.

You should catch a whif of my scent after coming back from an ocean trip. You could probably use me as Catfish bait. Just tie a little hackle on my back and we're good to go.[cool]
[signature]