Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
getting started .. what do I need?
I am thinking about taking the plunge into learning to tie my own flys. Last time I tied a fly was when I was like 13 so many years ago. Is there anykind of starter kits that are decently priced or a list of things I should get and likewyas avoid. Also what about books that have patterns and soforth in them.

What I brought me to this point is I see all the good work you guys do, and Flygoddess has graced me with one of her flys and the craftmanship is just so much better than anything you can buy. Plus I think having an understanding of what the flys are will make me a better fisherman.

Thanks
Majja
[signature]
Sportsamns has a good starter kit for about $30. It is the one i bought but it doesn't have any materials. I decided to go without so i could buy the materials for the flies i wanted to tie. Gongrats on stepping over to a producer instead of a buyer.[Wink]
[signature]
buying a kit with no materials is the better way to go,usually the materials they put in kits are worthless. buy materials for the patterns you plan to tie. You will find you will have a good selection in time.
[signature]
Thanks for the info guys. Darn [Wink] I guess I have to go to sportsmans.
[signature]
send [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][white][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][size 2][url "gforum.cgi?username=djremo;"]djremo[/url] a pm he had a bunch of pdf's for different fly patterns [/size]
[/size][/black][/font][/white][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Welcome to the crazy side of fishing Majja.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Think about a rotary vise. I know you don't absolutly need one, but if you try doing dubbing loops, they are the only way to fo, and you know how cool seal leeches look.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Dude, I am always around and have tons of material. You get hook on a fly just let me know.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Thanks FG. I have always heard that the vise is the backbone of tying.
[signature]
Matty,

I've got this sweet redneck "travel vise" sitting here at home with your name on it. I made it out of a clothespin and epoxied it to a brick!!! Sorry, no rotary feature!!!! It's yours for the takin' my friend!

[cool] K Dogg
[signature]
Depending on where you live, you can go to Sportsman's Warehouse on some Saturdays to see the guys they have there tying flies and get a good look at techniques, at time they'll give you some and even tips, once in a while they'll hook you up and set you down with them and teach you how to do it. Buddy Knight is the guy that would set up a rig for my daughter and teach her right in the store. They became good friends and my daughter made it a point for weeks to go down there and sit with Buddy and learn tips and techniques.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I agree, Buddy Knight is awesome. Very down to earth guy also.[cool][/size][/black]
[signature]
I couldn't beleive the patience he showed when she pelted him with questions them just pulled out another vice and set her up and began teaching her right in the store
[signature]
Be sure to get a good bobbin, and a decent vise, I started with a started kit and quickly replaced all of my tools with nicer ones. the bobbin always rips the thread unless you have like a silicon finish on the tip so be willing to spend a couple bucks more. just build your own kit is my preference. I have been tying for 10+ years and have been very disatisfied with what they put in those kits. i would go for the basic list to start and it also depends on the type of flies you plan to tie.
Ceramic Bobbin
Good Sharp Small Scissors - I like the black Cozic's you can get at sportsmans, but WRFlyfishers have great ones too
an adjustable hair stacker
whip finisher - get one you can learn to use
hackle plyers
a decent vise
a hackle measuring device
and then your thread and feathers and that should about cover it
I hope that that helps.
[signature]
Correct, but its a good way to get your feet wet without really putting out a lot of money until you know if its something you really want to do. Then look at upgrading the equipment as you see fit and need requires it.

I bought a cheap set-up and found I don't have either the talent of the patience, so my daughter ties all my flies when I need them.

Another source of information is Tubedude, he was having classes with some of the guys at a warehouse and is a wealth of information
[signature]
I like Sportsman's for cheap quick stuff, but whenever I talk to anyone there they seem to know near nothing about fly tying or technique, so I like to go to a local fly only shop like Western Rivers in SLC or 4 Seasons in Heber. they specialize in fly fishing and they always have good techniques and often will put on fly tying classes as well.
[signature]
I'm sure HFT would give pointers too, he's a good dude
[signature]
[black][size 3]Actually, you want a Ceramic lined bobbin, they will save on thread. However, I still have some of my less expensive bobbins I bought back when I first started and I still use them from time to time (mostly for my furled leaders)[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Scissors is a tough one. I have bought them in the cosmetic dept. of Wally World and they work great, nice and small and pointy[laugh][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Just remember when cutting wire, to use the inside of the scissores (next to the hinge), that way you save the tips for where you need tham.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Hair is hard on scissors, so that double sided razor blades are a good choice. Break them in half (carefully). They flex real easy and just slice away.[Wink][/size][/black]
[signature]