Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help me get started tying please.
[size 1]I also posted this on the Utah board as well, so if you read this twice I am sorry.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]I am thinking about taking the plunge into learning to tie my own flys. Last time I tied a fly was when I was like 13 so many years ago. Is there anykind of starter kits that are decently priced or a list of things I should get and likewyas avoid. Also what about books that have patterns and soforth in them.

What I brought me to this point is I see all the good work you guys do, and Flygoddess has graced me with one of her flys and the craftmanship is just so much better than anything you can buy. Plus I think having an understanding of what the flys are will make me a better fisherman.

Thanks
Majja [/size]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green][cool]Hi there majja - well coincidentally I just started tying flies last September. I purchased the Dyna-King Kingfisher Fly Tying Kit. Price is around $200. Fly tying is a little like getting married. The down payment is cheap but the up keep might keep one in rags. lol [Wink] But one thing for sure tying flies will keep you out of trouble and at home. That may or may not thrill your spouse.[/green][/size][/font] [Image: dynakingkit.gif]
Dyna-King has teamed with Dr. Slick, Daiichi hooks, Wapsi, X-Stream Fly Tying and others to provide the best fly tying kit on the market and addressed every beginner's needs.

Dyna-King features their newest vise, the Kingfisher as the centerpiece of this fabulous kit. The kit also includes Dr. Slick tools (including scissors, bobbin, threader, half hitch tool, hair stacker, cement needle), An instructional CD rom and book. Tying materials include dubbing, thread, daiichi hooks, hackle feathers, peacock herls, elk & deer hair, and head cement. Everything a tyer needs to tie some caddis flies right away.

Vise & Kit Features

[li]Kingfisher vise with Cam lever 360 degree rotation [li]Hook holding power with standard jaw (hook size 22 to 8/O) [li]Choice of pedestal or clamp base [li]All materials to tie caddis flies with instructions[/li]
[signature]
I received a fly tying wapsi fly tying kit for my birthday. I am not sure how much it cost exactly but it was considerably less expensive than Dryrod suggested, might help if cost is a point of concern. I'm enjoying tying my own flies and I hope you will too
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Oh for sure there are less expensive kits out there. The most expensive piece of equipment will be the cost of a vise. If you intend for this to be a hobby of some duration eventually you might find that the lease expensive vise has much to be desired. My kit came with the Dyna-Kingfisher. A darn good vise but with some limitations. It is like the cost of buying a fly rod which can be had for under $50 or for more than $3000 for a top of the line Boo. As said depending upon your financial situation there has to be a happy medium.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I completely agree you do get what you pay for. why spend the extra money for the uber nice model until you know for a fact you aren't going to get bored with it and stop tying in 6 months.
[signature]
Thanks for th info guys. This gives me a good starting point to lookk at stuff, and ues the $$ do count so I may have to do a cheaper one to start see how I like it and than upgrade down the road.

Thanks again
[signature]
I am just starting to tie fresh water flies too. I have been tying Saltwater flies for quite some time now.

How the heck do you use a whip finish tool??? Didn't you have a link on that some time ago??[cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there TubeN2 - so happens that I have a video. It is so much easier for you to watch than me to explain. At first it was a little ackward using the finishing tool but now I am almost a pro at whipping. If you watch these tyers at the shows they do it so fast that you can't tell what they are doing. Hope this helps. Ooops Unfortunately the video was a zip file so here is the link. Ooops that one eventually lead to a forum.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
My bad. I just found a video that answered my question. Here is a link.

javascript:newWindow('/ftb/Matarelli.mov')

That is the same one that I found. I just couldn't get it to upload or copy over. Thanks Dryrod.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][Sad] Yes I know. You need QuickTime to view the video. Usually when I copy and paste a shortcut the link is active within the post. Not in this case otherwise it would be underscored. Anyone wanting to view the video just PM me and I will forward the link.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
For the majority of the saltwater flies, it is easier to tie the knot by using the twisted loop wrap on the finger tips or even a Crochet needle. I do see and advantage to this Whip Finish Tool especially with the miniature patterns.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Also one can use their bodkin for doing half hitches. Do a half hitch on the heavy end then place the hole of the bodkin over the eye and slide the ½ hitch into position. Then again probably everyone knew that already.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
That is a good idea too.

As soon as I can get my camera software straightened out, I will show you some pics of some of the salty flies that I have been tying and catching on.

Once you see them, you will wonder when they started making Bodkins the size of Coke bottles. ha ha.[cool]
[signature]