Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First tube?
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I will be getting my first tube here in a few weeks. I’m primarily interested in the ODC 420 or the Fish Cat 4. However, I’m open to any suggestions for tubes that are in the under $200 price range. If I could have caught the deal on the Fat Cat this would have been a much easier decision![/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I’ve been reading through the ODC 420 and Fish Cat 4 comparisons on this forum, but I still have a few questions.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]From the pics, it looks like the FC4 has D-ring attachments for the apron, and the ODC has Velcro?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The ODC looks to have bigger pockets? [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Both have vinyl air cells?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Number of air cells?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Construction? FC4 420/600 Denier, ODC 420/ 30oz PVC bottom, how do these compare?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Durability?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]What are the some of the other differences?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I like that the ODC has a higher capacity, but I’m only at about 180lbs with gear. Durability, construction, and price will probably be the deciding factors for me.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Thanks![/size][/font]
[signature]
Rooster -- I can't tell you for sure which way to go since I just went through that decision (ODC vs. FishCat) myself and replaced my Gunnison with a ODC 420.

But if you do decide on the 420, I can pass on a the following information as far as bargain hunting goes. On one of the best of threads on this board comparing the 2 someone had posted a link to West Laramie Flystore [url "http://www.flystore.net/"]http://www.flystore.net/[/url] as a good place to purchase the ODC.

They did not have a very good website, and the link to the ODC420 was broken, but I did get a phone number, and I called and talked to Ray. He sold me the ODC420 for $120 and only charged $20 to ship. So I was only into it $140 total, where the next cheapest I had found before shipping was around $160.

The main reason I picked the ODC over the FishCat was because of the weight rating. ODC says 300 and the fishcat is closer to 250. Being that I am hovering around 240, I did not want to take a chance....and when I was able to get the 420 cheaper than what I could get the FishCat for -- that sealed the deal.
[signature]
I had to make that same decision and I opted for the ODC420. I think that when compared to the Fishcat 4 the ODC is a better tube. But i do think a Fat Cat is better than the ODC. But in the 200 or less the ODC is a great value. On that note I just purchased my wife FG's old SFC It has not been used yet but she cant wait.

Majja
[signature]
1 i am up in the 250 range so I wanted the heavier wait rating. I also liked the pocket layout a little better (than). I actually opted to pay just a little more for the ODC. I also like the bottom material (PVC) it is very durable. To me it was almost more of a gut feeling of I think the 420 is a little better constructed than the FC4.

Granted I do love my 420 when it comes time to replace it in many many years I will be with an H3, however my next float toy may be a toone just som I can get power to move arund the bigger waters.
[signature]
Thanks! Unless someone comes-up with a good reason (or price) to go with the FC4 over the ODC, I will probably go with the ODC. I have read some really good things about the customer service of Creek Company. I have yet to read anything bad about the FC4 or Outcast, and I’m sure that they make a great tube. But, everything that I have read about the ODC and Creek Company seems to indicate a great product from a great company.

Does the ODC have two air cells like the FC4?
At 180LB including gear, will the ODC keep me higher off the water than the FC4?
[signature]
Yes it does.
[signature]
I got my FC4 for 100 bucks shipped brand new off ebay.[cool] I can't really tell you which is better I haven't even been able to use mine yet, darn hard water.
[signature]
Welcome aboard roosterfisher. I happen to have the FishCat4. I bought that withing 24 hours of using a SuperFatCat and realized I didn't have enough for the big brother.

I have really enjoyed my FC4 even till this day.

It does have 2 air chambers and a foam seat.j

The ODC has about the same but with bigger pockets. You also access the valves from withing the pockets.

I am looking to get me an ODC for my freshwater fishing and leave my FC4 just for the saltwater. I do enjoy tubing both.[cool]
[signature]
The good news is that you are going to be hard pressed to find any reviews or comments that speak negative about either of them....Which is a rarity when searching for goods. For me it just came down to what people said, reviews, the weight rating and price. Except for (and this may be a bit wimpy) -- the fact that I read a bunch of threads on this board about people with the regular FishCat's (not the Deluxe model) having a hard time getting it put together when it cam time to fit the seat into the shell -- a tight fit.....Where with the ODC, it already comes fully assembled in the box.
[signature]
[black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black] [black][size 1]The good news is that you are going to be hard pressed to find any reviews or comments that speak negative about either of them....Which is a rarity when searching for goods. For me it just came down to what people said, reviews, the weight rating and price. Except for (and this may be a bit wimpy) -- the fact that I read a bunch of threads on this board about people with the regular FishCat's (not the Deluxe model) having a hard time getting it put together when it cam time to fit the seat into the shell -- a tight fit.....[#ff0000]Where with the ODC, it already comes fully assembled in the box.
[/#ff0000][/size][/black]

[black][size 3]What a whimp![/size][/black][laugh][Wink]
[signature]
Hey now [Wink], I did not expect the ODC to come fully assembled -- it was just a pleasent surprise after hearing all of the FishCat assembly war stories on this board.

I am usually really good at putting stuff together, for example -- at Christmas when I am putting together all of the kids stuff I am so talented and eficient that I always have lots of parts left over [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]spare parts LMAO[laugh][/size][/black]
[signature]
I never complained about having to use a jack hammer to get my seat put together on my FishCat4. In fact, I think I still had the first FC4 on the board.

It's sure taken a licken and keeps on tickin'.[cool]
[signature]
Is there anything I should know b4 going to newport, never been floating in salt water b4, my bro-inlaw wants to go I have and odc420 and he has a fish cat 4.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Are you planning on fishing inside the harbor or launching through the surf?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This time of year the harbor is very busy and it is tough to find a place to launch without being constantly run over. But, it can be good for small halibuts and sand bass...with some spotties. During peak high tide there are some good spots in the back bay. I haven't fished it for a long time so I do not know current regs or launch spots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are not experienced, do not try to launch through the surf, even on a mild day. It takes a lot of basic skill to get out through even small waves, and it can be dangerous coming back in. Can you say "butt over teakettle"?[/#0000ff]
[signature]