Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about selling reels?
[size 1]Hello. I am new here. I have a friend who's father passed away 2 years ago and I am helping him sell some reels and an orvis. I have no idea how much the fishing reels are worth although one of them was his grandfathers.
This is the information I have from looking at them
1. EMPERIOR No. 1684. It has a gold seal that says Gladding Aerofloat AFTMA STD WF-7-Fsize HCF this one is attached to a rod.
2. MADE IN CANADA CORTLAND 333 L7S LEVEL
3. Model J C Higgins 47 D
I will try to attach pictures but you can email me at
[/size][url "mailto:ValerieJ63@aol.com"][#000000][size 1]ValerieJ63@aol.com[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1] if you want more pictures and if you can give me an idea of how much they might be worth. Thank you.
Valerie [/size]
[size 1]PS: There is also an orvis rod and reel (never used)[/size]
I am attaching a link to my photobucket album of the pictures, and more information on the ORVIS I wish to sell.
[font "Arial"]There is a ORVIS rod and reel that was never used. The reel is in a case and says BATTENKILL 5/6 made in England

The Rod is also in a green sleeve and a case. It has 4 peices

The top of the case says: HLS SILVER LABEL 9 FT. 3 5/8 OZ. and 6 WT.

It also says ORVIS made in USA

This has never been used[/font]
[url "http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s276/ValeriesPhotos_2007/"]http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s276/ValeriesPhotos_2007/[/url]
[signature]
First of all, let me say welcome Valerie...

Next..
I would be vary hesitent to sell off grandpa's fishing equipment....

call it "Bad Carma/Bad mojo" if you will...

the day will come when those peices will have by far more worth than what you gain from sales at any auction. even if you get 10 times what grandpa paid for them...

I would love to have gotten a peice, any single peice of my granpa's old fishing items when they passed. I never even got to fish with either of them.

now my adoptive grandpa, I received a rod and reel and a trolling motor, On loan you might say for one day I will have to pass them on to some one else in the family. every thing but the reel. It fell apart hauling in walleye....

I received a few peices from my dad, I wont sell them either... hopefuly I will have a rugrat of my own one day, if not I have plenty of nephews and neices who might find giving them a home and using them a special treat.

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but it is the best answer. For when they are gone, they are gone forever! there is no getting that peice of dad or grandpa back...
[signature]
I agree with Dave. My grandpa is my best fishing buddy and gave me all of his trolling gear. We use far more of my new stuff, but his stuff is safe at home. I am even working on restoring some of it to working condition.

Now, if you do decide to sell them... please use this tackle auction forum to promote your items! I'd rather see a good BFT user, who will appreciate them, get your stuff than someone else! I wish I could answer your questions about values. I'll continue to ask around, but I'd guess it's going to be difficult to get a definate value. I believe their have been books written on the subject of old fishing equipment, but I'm not familar enough with them.

Good luck no matter what you decide! And thanks for using the tackle auction forum! Check out the Auction Items by Category and see what other people are selling their items for... that may be a good place to start!

And one more thing... WELCOME TO BFT!

Take care, BKidder
[signature]
I'm sure he wishes he could keep everything that was left to him but unfortunatly he fell on some very hard times and right now having food to eat and a roof over his head is more important. He lost his business and had to live in his truck for 2 years after a horrible divorce, paying a $2,400 dollar a month mortgage while his wife lived in their house with her boyfriend.
It's a Sad story but it's a matter of him "needing" to sell them more than wanting to.
Thank you.
Valerie
PS: He also has an ORVIS Rod and reel that are in cases and never been used. I'll check into how to sell things on here.
[signature]
sounds like you better get them listed! thats a Sad story! let me know if there is anything i can do to help! list the items then we'll start doing a little promoting here and see if we cant get you a fair price!

talk to you later, bkidder
[signature]
I cirtainly did not mean to put you on the defencive, I was mearly stating that some times things are worth more as keep sakes than dollar values...

I see people going through this same senario more and more these days. heart breaking to say the least...

I am moving this post to the fly fishing board for a few days, we have a couple pro's there that can tell you more, so rather than make you make a new post I will do a slide, later they may move it back to the auction board after answering your spicific questions of value on said reels.
[signature]
Welcome Valeriej63. Thanks for sharing with us here. What ever you do, please don't put those items to auction. They are worth some good money.[cool]
[signature]
[Smile] Thank you. That's what I'm hoping for. To find out the true value and maybe someone here will want to buy them.
[signature]
The first thing to do is find out exactly what they are worth. You can do a search for them on the Ebay. That would let you know a good starting price for them.

Next thing to do is find a tackle shop somewhere that deels in used equipment. Don't try to sell it there or you will be upset that the shop is able to sell it for twice what they paid you for it. After all, they are in the business to make money.

You can get a pretty good idea what it is worth on the open market if you can find something similar for sale.[cool]
[signature]
not sure about the newer ones but my dad collects antique fishing equipment. I'll ask him to look at the pictures
[signature]
Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

Valerie
[signature]
Pm sent about the Orvis combo
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there ValerieJ63 - you are a welcomed addition to our judicial system. The only judges I know looks like this>>[/size][/green][/font] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22324;][/center] [center] [/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Good luck selling the fly reels.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
Thank you! [Smile]
Too funny....lol
[signature]
Valerie has listed some of this stuff on ebay now! Be sure to check it out...

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=316676;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=316676;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]