Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please welcome TubeN2
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Won't you please welcome TubeN2 as our co-mod on the Fly Fishing & Tying board. TubeN2 is currently moderating more boards than I care to count. His expertise on the salt with a swatter brings additional depth to this site. Between Flygoddess and TubeN2 they know just about everything. Welcome aboard my friend.[/size][/green][/font]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22245;][/center]
[signature]
[Smile]Hi there buddy, we've been waiting on you!

This ought to be interesting. I never once considered fly fishing in the Salt Chuck.

Tell us more Tubn2!
[signature]
Thanks for the warm welcome and I'm glad to take on some more responsibility. Sharing is caring.

I have been flyswatting or "Lint Chucking" for quite a number of years now but the last 20 years or so, I have been closer to the ocean and continuing to "Match the Hatch".

Alot of what we do in the ocean requires a little bit heavier set up. #7, 8, 9 and 10 fly rods.

The Hatch??? Mostly Shrimp, Sand Crabs, Sand Worms and Sand fleas. But that's not all. Those are only the shallower water stuff for depths up to 60 feet.

There is also the advanced stage of Shrimp Flies that you use on a conventional or a (Sorry Flygoddess) Spinning rod.

I will get into some more depth in another post. Pictures will be included as to rigging and tackle.

While the Freshwater Flyswater persons are called "Lint Chuckers", the Saltwater version, if you havn't guessed already are called "Shrimp Flippers" "Shrimp Dippers" depending on the depth that you are fishing.[cool]
[signature]
oh great now I have a third person to monitor me... geeeeeeeeezeeeeeeeeeee... [laugh].. all kidding aside welcome to the board as a moderator buddy....

MacFly
[signature]
Oh my, another board Steve? LOL, i've got board envy now. [Tongue]

Welcome to the board partner. It'll be nice to see someone with a little more salt in thier britches hanging around the fly board. [cool] Now i'm covered for sure when I move up from freshwater to salt.

Who's turn is it to buy the round? [Wink]
[signature]
[black][size 3]And I thought he was hanging around cause use fly flingers are soo cool![Wink] (just ask us....we'll tell you)[shocked][/size][/black]
[signature]
We are neighbors in essence. You are closer that UT but I think I can still get to Dryrods place faster than yours. Thanks for the pleasantries my friend.[cool]
[signature]
Now that I've come out of the closet, you know where I got my light tackle for Big Game techniques from. It is a whole different ball game with the Flyswatter than with conventional or sp...sp...sp..(forgive me FG) spinning gear.[cool]
[signature]
I still "Lint Chuck" in the freshwater seen, but my flies are very crude. On the other hand, my "Shrimp Flipping" is a whole different ball game.

The ocean species are just as picky for appearance but not line shy in several cases. I learned alot from my Pops about matching the hatch.

With the Saltwater, that can mean the same fly but in different colors to compensate for water temps.

Unlike the freshwater where the water temps can demand a bug at a different state of appearance in a life cycle stage of hatch.

For the Shrimp Flippers, Deep Nymphing could be as simple as adding a BB shot to a Sand Crab fly instead of a small piece of lead wire.

It's all in the wrist. ha ha.

Next thing you know, you will bag on me for using 2 hands for my Spey Casting. I had to learn how to Golf to get that technique down effectively.[cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there TubeN2 speaking of shrimps, the next fly that I will attempt to tie for our good buddy Tarpon4Me will bea Marabou Shrimp. I have a video if anyone is interested I will post it under a new subject.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22306;][/center]
[signature]
That would look good in an Olive theme or a light grey with about six strands of Flashabou in Peacock color.

I am also making some but I can't get my camera software to work with the XP.

I have a few hundred different patterns to share here.

I was thinking of suggesting to theangler to set us up a Photo board for flies and maybe a Recipie board for Fly Recipies.

Do you agree??

Each fly on the photo board can be linked to a recipe on the fly recipe board.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there TubeN2 - I think that there are sufficient number of tiers who hang around that would not only be interested but would like to share their goodies with their fellow tiers. [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]The board would bounce down in positioning, however I think that it could be found without having to rely on using a GPS system. LOL Or were you thinking that theangler could set it up elsewhere? [/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]Re the Marabou Minnow - most of the patterns that I have seen calls for several strands of flash. I like using Krystal Flash Pearl on my Clouser Minnows. Gives them a cool sparkle look.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Actually he can set up the fly board as it's own entity. Then add the sub boards. I just hope the board stays in tact throughout the move. You remember what happened the last time the fly board went on a move!!!

With the Kool Shrimp designes, some of the Flashabou gets wrapped around the shrimp to simulate the scale plates from the actual shrimp.

I am dying to get my camera working so that I can show you what I mean.

I may just go out and buy a new camera in the next couple of days. This is driving me nuts.[crazy]
[signature]
You da man Dryrod, that thing looks sweet. Something like that would be great for spanish mackerel when they are feeding on top. There are alot of times the spanish will get in a tight group and get into a feeding frenzy. Even white and green or white and blue would be an awesome color pattern. It would match the small baitfish that the spanish and blues feed on. The big eyes are so cool looking, sorta looks like a Spro Prime Bucktail jig.

Thanks alot partner! [cool]
[signature]
Welcome aboard TN2. Nice to mix it up a bit. Although i will probably never cast into salt water(except maybe the Great Salt Lake[Wink]), it is nice to learn as much as you can about fishing. Looking forward to your input and reports.
[signature]
Hey thanks for the warm welcome and all that mushy stuff.[Tongue]

I really never limit my fishing to just one style. Fortunately where I am on the West Coast, there is a great variety of fishing here close by.[cool]
[signature]
No mushy stuff. I want to know if you have any time to put in any patios or something.[Wink][Wink][Smile]
[signature]
I tend to work the pavers inbetween fishing trips.

Nice looking family there Bro. Do they fish??[cool]
[signature]
Nope> They live down in tennessee they make killer moonshine though
[signature]
I guess fishing isn't always important to everyone. The just reset their priorities at a different level.[cool]
[signature]