Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
whats biteing ?
anyone got any info on whats biteing down there ?
[signature]
Depends on where you fish (salt or fresh)

Heres my local freshwater report for central/south Alabama lakes and ponds.

Fished all day Sat and Sunday with my son and caught alot of 1-3 pound bass on Black and purple jigs rigged with green "pork rind" trailers. also did very well with the Power Bait power worm with bungee tail in the "tequila sunrise color " fished with a 1/4 oz bullet lead.

My neighbor fished for Crappie both days and had an epic time both days using live minnows, fished with a small, long shanked hook, with a bb shot lead and a cork at about 12-16 inches.

As for bragging time my 11 year old son Austin caught an 8.5 lb bass last saturday. I will be posting his pic when they get developed.

Take a kid fishing and help preserve our sport for future generations to enjoy.

Ben Scanlan
[signature]
hi Ben , i see we have a few things in common , taking the kids fishing , and having them get a bigger one than you ! i had my oldest girl ( just turned 5 at the time ) cast out her mini-mouse fishing pole with a big juicey crawler on it . her cast must have gone out about three feet . i myself must have put my line out as far as the weight would carry it . a few minutes later she's screaming she has a fish , i looked over and she had a death grip on that little rod . well long story short , i landed that 20 inch small mouth for her and took some video shots of her and the big one . we had to release it , wasen't season yet .

i managed to angle in a spotted sunfish all by myself , a whopping 4 inches in length .

she still remembers that day . and reminds me of it every time we go out .

i can't wait to see your son's catch .
[signature]
Hey the babies are biting here. Fished the Coosa Sat afternoon and caught and released 20 cats. Biggest was probably 6". Glad I keep an ultralight in my trunk. My son kept laughing at me til he caught his only fish of the day(a 6" stripe). At least the weather was great. I really enjoy reading these postings.[cool]
[signature]
my dad used to say that the only thing bigger than the fish i catch is the story i have about the event two hours later ![crazy]
[signature]
still getting thoes cats ?
[signature]
REport for Sat.

Slow going on the lake here. I managed to entice a single bass to the hook. A fat 3 pound largemouth. I did however see a LOT of decent sized Gar. Now how do I go about catching one? Lets hear all of the wisdom out there on Gar.

Ben
[signature]
a freeswiming minnow with a hook in it's tail , or use an egg sinker with plenty of leader line . let them take the bait down in , they will hold on to it a few seconds before trying to eat it .

bow fishing , it's fun but make sure you have enough line out so that the arrow dosen't come back on you , i've had a few close calls .

velcro on a spinner , but thats illeagle here in michigan , check with your d.n.r. first .

spearing when in season

there a tough one to catch , thats for sure !
[signature]
Gave up on the cats for now, especially since the crappie are hitting good this week. I caught a dozen nice crappie in a small creek today. Yesterday I was told they were hitting better. My neighbor caught 80 yesterday. He only caught six today, so I don't feel too bad about only catching a dozen.
[signature]
here i'll make you feel better[Wink] , a log ate a whole bunch of my flies , hooks and sinkers today after i saw a big ol' steelhead come up from it . [shocked]

a hundred and fiftey mile trip to come back with a fish beat me bad story .

[pirate]

im gonna get that big log and make some paper out of it !

i can't wait for the shelf ice to get , i want some crappie too !

enjoy your fish dinner , i'll be eating more tree bark , keep me posted on how things are going , your fishing pal , lonehunter

p.s. did you see the new contest , a coustom built rod ! freshwater forum , and free hooks in the conservation and preservation forum . or go to the michigan forum , i've got them listed there .
[signature]
tough luck on the log Lone. And thanks for the gar tips. Whats with the velcro? please explain that one. I would ask my sister (she works for DFG here) but we're in the middle of a nasty divorce. Thought I'd try a little Alabama in-breeding humor.

Fished a few minutes on Lake martin today with no luck. Watched the neighbor pull SLAB sized crappie out the whole time. Guess I wasn't holding my mouth right or using the wrong brand of tobacco.

Maybe a better report tomorrow.

Ben
[signature]
Don't feel too bad about not catching the crappie. My son and I fished side by side at the local creek in Gadsden. I caught a dozen and he only caught one. We were using identical jigs, and I even swapped rods with him a few times to prove it wasn't my rig making the diference.[angelic] Some times the fish just choose who is going to catch them.[Wink]
[signature]
LOL. yea i'm from the city and once i moved up here in the sticks i found the humor was close to reality .i do know a guy that is raising his two boys , one is his step son and his nephew , the other is his boy . think about it , you'll come up with the ansure ( x sister in law ) . he's a real good dad .

velcro will catch in there teeth and will not let go . it will also hold sent for a very long time .

i bet dave has tons of tips for crappie . waxworms work great in the spring !

an easy way for harvesting magots without letting the garbage set is to poke some holes in a can of dog or cat food and hang it over a bucket outside . as the larva grow they fall out of the can and into the bucket . keep the food moist and you'll have a fresh bait for a long time .
[signature]