Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I finally got the rod.......
It has taken me a bit but was finally able to get all the right parts together for my new outfit... I have a Sage 9 foot 6wt 4 piece Launch coupled with an new Orvis Rocky Mountain Turbine reel with an extra spool... on one spool I have a wf6f line and on the extra reel I have a Type III sinking line.. have not had opportunity to use it yet but I am biting at the bit to do so........... here are some pics.. and DR... if they are too big please adjust.. forgot what you had said about size...

[Image: launch012.jpg]

[Image: launch018.jpg]

[Image: launch013.jpg]

[Image: launch014.jpg]

MacFly
[signature]
That's a nice outfit Macfly55. I bet you wouldn't mind getting a little salt on it would you???

I know some good surf fishing ares down your way.[cool]
[signature]
not sure about the salt...figured Id break it in on the lakes in my area first... and is a 6wt heavy enough for salt fishing...

btw.. funny side note.. since this is my first major purchase I was a little nervous even though I had my bankers okay to do so.. I was in the shop talking to one of the owners and in walked another customer wanting to buy a new rod... he bought an 8wt I believe Sage XP... in and out.. $733.00... I was simply awestruck at the simplicity with which he conducted his deal... I dont think he blinked an eye over it..

If I had done that ...my wife would of had a heart attack and then killed me once she recovered.....[laugh]

MacFly[cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there macfly55 - looks like a nice setup. Good luck. The size of your pictures are just fine. 500 pixels wide should be one's maximum for anything larger causes overrun on the side frames. You can always tell the width of any given picture posted by right clicking on the picture, then click properties to find the dimensions.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
A 6 weight is like an Ocean Ultra light. It can be used but for very small or less aggressive Perch or Pompanos.

Most often I use my 10weight with the sinking tip line. It is just right for nailing the next level of ooglers out there and can even handle a just legal Halibut.[cool]
[signature]
What about sand sharks and such.. just curious.. and yes.. as a true Irishman there is a story behind the question.. lol. but it is a bait fishers story.. not fly...

MacFly
[signature]
The Sand Sharks fall beyond the "Oogler" category. They are more in the eye carumba category. When I know they are lurking,(water temp will tell the whole story) I will use no less than a 10wt rod. I can cheat them a little even with a sinking tip line by using some of my foam infused flies. It keeps the bait off of the bottom where they dwell and helps keep it in the zone for other species.

I have had Sand Sharks hit though at 4 feet off of the bottom so don't think that they won't go there. When they are hungry they will hit any level of the water column reguardless.

What worries my the most is fishing in 100 feet of water and catching a Halibut at about 10 feet down or even on the surface.

This one was caught on a conventional set up but it was caught on the top water.

It was only 30lbs but it would have been a good tug on a flyrod.[cool]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id...rch_engine]
[signature]
One more thing about the Sand Sharks,
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id...rch_engine]

They do get big at times. This one is 41 inches and weighs around 13 pounds. The state record is only 15lbs.

They can still be done on a 10wt but you will need lots of backing because they do run.[cool]
[signature]
so basically you are saying my 6wt is to light in case a shark hits.. [laugh]

MacFly [Smile]
[signature]
Not at all my friend. I'm just saying to have plenty of backing on your reel. You may need every inch of it.[cool]
[signature]
Nice grey fin tuna man. It's a shame you didn't have that IGFA book when you caught him. You might have had a line class record. Did you even think to look it up? What kind of tackle did you catch in on?

Oh, and you need to loose that 49er's had in your previous picture. You'll catch way more fish with a cowboys hat. LOL (as I brace myself for the up and comming attack) [sly]
[signature]
Just as I was getting ready to root for the Panthers. Geeeeesh.

That grey fin Tuna was caught on 8lb Stren XXX. I was using my Berkley Lightning rod and an old Shimano Bantam reel. (Have you ever seen the Bantams?? They look like something from outer space and have only 3 prongs on the star drag adjuster.)

It only took 21 1/2 minutes to land and almost spooled me doing it. There is no listing for it in the IGFA. They don't consider it as a game fish but they are also not playing the same game that I am.

I see alot of potential records that can be broken from the book.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
Not at all my friend. I'm just saying to have plenty of backing on your reel. You may need every inch of it.[cool] [/reply]

Only have 90 yds on each spool..lol.. one day I may try it your way..but best get more fishing under my belt first...

MacFly
[signature]
They do have bigger spools too. The Okuma Helio is a good saltwater reel for flyfishing. It has the extra capacity for those special days.[cool]
[signature]
lol.. you are definately the cheering section for salt water.... but that is a good and refreshing input... I may have to try it at a later date... [cool]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
LOL. Thanks.

I was wondering if you wanted to go to the Long Beach Fred Hall Show. I am going to be meeting a few other CA BFT members there on Saturday.

I just got a new shipment of BFT Stickers to hand out too. Let me know and I'll meet you down there.[cool]
[signature]
You just got more stickers? [unimpressed]

I've been waiting for weeks to get more stickers and cards. I keep getting told they are still out. [Sad]
[signature]
They are shorthanded. I barely had enough to hand out at the Fishing and Boat show today. I still have some Hook Safes leftover. Do you need any for your new members?? They even make a good mini fly box.[cool]
[signature]
You sure catch some %&*&(*^&^_ugly fish.
[signature]
No sir, but thanks for the offer. I think i've got a few left anyhow. [cool]
[signature]