Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nelson?
Hey Bassmaster,
I've planning on heading out to nelson for a while now. Are there decent spots from shore or are the bass pretty deep these days?
How do you work your finesse jig? I've only tried one a few times and I haven't had much success.

Whats the bottom like, is the weed growth thick this time of year with the warmer water?[cool]

any advice or tips would be helpful. I'm stuck on shore though.

I saw your question on the manual ice auger. They work great during early ice, but once it gets really cold the ice actually contracts, making it more dense. This can make it very difficult and time consuming, even with new blades on a hand auger. If your going to get one, I'd recommend a Lazer by strikemaster. I grew up ice fishing in MN and was able to use the same one for about 10 years. Just change the blades. Otherwise, keep your eye open for a used gas auger. I upgraded two years ago and I will never, ever go back, but I always bring my hand auger with just in case.

I've been ice fishing as long as I can remember, so if you have any other questions, maybe I can help answer them. You'd be surprised how many guys in MN go after bass through the ice.

Oh yeah, send me some free sh@&!! haha

Thanks,
dropshot
[signature]
Welcome aboard dropshot!

I'm interested in hearing about tactics people use to pull those bass out of the ice in the winter, so if you have any helpful information, that would be awesome! [Smile]
[signature]
oh by the way, if you're looking to shore fish nelson at this time of the year, the best place in my opinion would be where the warm water comes into the main part of the lake. I've tried other spots around the lake during the winter, but the bass def. seem to be more in abundance by the discharge.
[signature]
Hey there dropshot. Welcome aboard! Nice to have another member! Where are you from?

As far as Nelson, if your stuck from shore I would definetly fish the north end where the warm water dishcharge is. Thats where a lot of the bass will be in the winter and then they will scatter out from there during the spring.

The jig is a great lure to use. It's one of my favorites! When you work the jig you just have to see what the fish like on that particular day. I usually seem to have good luck with this: just cast the jig out and let it fall to the bottom and once it is on the bottom let it sit there for a couple seconds and then slowly work it back with short little hops pausing inbetween. That usually will get some strikes.

I would use a heavier jig on nelson, probably a 3/8ths ounce because there is usually some wind up there and you want your jig to stay on the bottom. All the darker color jigs seem to work good. I would add some sort of trailer to the jig to make it more appealing.

The bottom of the lake is mostly all hard sand or rock. Nelson is pretty much a rock lake. I dont think I've ever run into any weeds before. There may be some in the summer but I dont usually fish Nelson too much in the summer. If your fishing by the warm water discharge here's some info for you if you're stuck on shore. Where the water comes out, about in the middle of the flow the water depth is anywhere from 8 to 12 feet. In that area the bottom is all rocks so you have to be careful not to get snagged because that can happen fairly easily. I remember I would always lose a lure once and awhile.

If your not having any luck with jigs, I would give a rattle trap a try. Just throw it out and reel it back with different speeds until you start finding some fish.

When I was out there yesterday there were a couple people fishing from shore by the discharge and they didnt seem them catching much, but I'm sure the fishing will get better since we are supposed to have "warm" weather streak coming up. I'll believe it when I see it.

Thanks for the heads up on the auger too! About how much do those cost?

Again welcome aboard and its great to have you!

Make sure you tell us how you do at Nelson![cool]
[signature]
Hey dropshot did you make it out at all over the nice weekend?[cool]
[signature]