Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BASS REGULATION CHANGES!
[size 5]For All Bass Fisherman!
[/size]

The DWR is holding a special meeting on [size 4]March 28th, 7:00 p. m. at Classic Choice Catering[/size], approximately 7800 so. 1500 W. just behind the Sizzler restaurant on the south side of 7800 S.

The DWR will have the head of Aquatics, Sport Fisheries ,and the newly appointed head of Warmwater speices there to talk about Bass regs. that they would like to impose on us.

If you really want your voices heard I would make an attempt to come to the meeting and speak out. If we can have numbers present we stand alot better chance of getting what we want instead of having the DWR dictate to us what they want. This is not just a meeting for Bass Clubs, but all Bass fisherman in this state....please pass this on to as many bass fisherman as you can...Thanks and I'll be looking forward to a huge turnout. [#407f00]------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------[/#407f00] [#407f00]------------------------------------------------------- LOOK BELOW! -------------------------------[/#407f00] [#407f00]------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------[/#407f00] We need to meet before hand! I am setting up a meeting [#0060bf]Tuesday Night the 27th @ 7:00pm in the Cabela's Meeting Room.[/#0060bf] We need everyone to show here so we can approach the DWR the right way! Call me if you have any questions or ideas. Please come out to both of these meetings! Spread the word! 801-577-9861
[signature]
Hey Cliffie, I just might make them both. I'll have to make some time adjustments for work on Wed. later chuck
[signature]
What type of changes are bass fisherman looking for? [Smile]
[signature]
[size 1]Quote ..."that they would like to impose on us."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Do you know if the DWR is proposing changes themselves to the current regs?[/size]
[signature]
What type of changes are we talking about here? Because if it's more C&R regulations state wide, I'll show up. To protest it. The last thing this state needs is more C&R regs on bass. A slot limit? Sure. But manditory C&R like Utah Lake and Jordanelle? No way.
[signature]
Exactly my thoughts. [Smile]
[signature]
From what I know, they are supposed to be favorable changes. We need to get together on this and propose the right way. It's probably going to be a simple meeting to discuss statewide regs but, we need to give them our input on this. Show up to both meetings and let's make this a win-win.
[signature]
What kind of proposals are your proposing? [Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]For those who do not spend any time on the DWR discussion boards, there has been a heated debate between bassahholics and "normal" fishermen on several issues. In a nutshell, bassers want to keep the restrictive bass slots in place for everybody except themselves so they can have tournaments and keep big fish for the weigh-ins.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If anybody wants some "entertaining" reading (8 pages of posts) [url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19885"]HERE IS THE LINK[/url] .[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Our seldom outspoken PBH is championing a complete removal of the slots on bass, statewide, for all anglers. I tend to agree with him, but he is up against some pretty rabid bassers. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whatever happens at the meeting, you can be sure that this will be a hot topic at the upcoming RAC meetings too. This is a time for anyone with any ideas or concerns on the matter to focus their thinking and show up to be heard. Our current regulations are a matter of having special interests (tournament bass anglers) show up en masse and overpower the DWR process to get the restrictive slot limits now in place.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The main argument of the tournament folks is that they contribute a lot to the economy with their tournaments and should be given special considerations. I say hogwash. I pay my license fees and buy lots of gear, gas and goodies too. If I want to keep a trophy fish for the wall or take home a larger fish for the table, I should be just as "special" as they are.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just a warning. This needs to be given rational thought and open minded discussion. Let's keep emotions and prejudices out of it. After all, it is about fishing. That is supposed to be a fun sport...and relaxing. Not worth getting busted for blowing someone away who has a different opinion.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is why I quit fishing competitively many years ago. I saw what it does to decent people. Tournament fishing really does turn Dr. Jeckyl into Mr. Hyde. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]CRASH. Just fell off my soapbox.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have been reading that as well...

For the 1st time in my fishing forum life, I completely agree with PBH on a subject.

Bass fisherman fought hard for these ridiculous size restrictions to be put in place, and now they want to amend those same laws to cater to their personal agendas.

If they want to possess a bass in their livewell for a weigh-in, fine.... But the possession laws should apply to all anglers.

Some will argue that the mortality rate of these weigh in fish are very low, which may be true, but they don't all live.
[signature]
Based on my (limited) understanding, there are several issues that concern bassers right now. The tournament "thing" is only one. An issue that might be of greater concern is an idea of managing all bass waters with standard regulations for all fisheries. I haven't heard that the DWR is going forward with this, but I do have concerns about that approach. I believe each fishery should be managed based on its own characteristics. It takes more work,and regulations are a little more complex but it yields better fishing. Trout waters like Strawberry, Scofield, the Green river, and say, Tibble fork don't have the same regulations and management goals, so why should bass waters.

I would hope the DWR looks at some of the restrictive regs also. Besides possibly creating a backlash, some just don't fit. Trophy regs on a forage bereft pond (overrun with dink smallies) like Deer Creek is ridiculous IMO.
[signature]
Agreed. Most fisheries are unique and need to be managed that way. [Smile]
[signature]
While I am very new to Bass fishing, I do like to catch big fish, but also think I should be able to keep a few if I so choose. If you want to keep a fairly good number of big fish, just managed the fish with slot limits similar to the berry. this way ou can catch some good fish all day long and than keep a few if you get some small ones or very large ones. And no i do not think any special orginization should be allowed exemptions. (i.e. keeping fish in the slot even if it is just for a weigh in)

Majja
[signature]
that was a good read TD.. i could only get through 4 page's befor i wanted to jump in and stur the pot.. lol [angelic]..

but i have made a promise to my self about that site..

PBH has a good point! most all the places i have ever been and fished.. the tournament guy's have to obay the law of the lake! there is no Exception's!! not in walleye, bass, crappie, or any other tournament i have seen.. so why should utah make any Exception?
[signature]
Yes, I totally agree with PBH as well. That was an excellent read on the DWR page. Slot limits are reasonable but all over 12 inches to be released is neither ecologically sound regs nor sociologically egalitarian. Fish are a public resource. Why should one group have the supreme power to dictate the regs according to their own benefit? But yes, we need to be open to differing perspectives and have a rational discussion to negotiate a win-win situation. Ah, I knew I should have gone further and gotten that conflict-resolution certificate.