Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge On Soft Water - finally
I couldn't wait any longer. Myself and Dagnabit hit the Mustang/Cedar Springs area at Flaming Gorge after a quick call to someone in Dutch John on confirm we had open water to get the boat on and a good ramp. We fished a good part of the day Thursday and again on Friday morning. The weather on Thursday presented some challenges at times, as it would go from calm to 40 mph wind in about 5 minutes, Friday was great. Fortunately there was a lot more fishable time than wind. We ended up boating 13 mack, most in the low teens class, though we did get a couple (as pictured) a little bigger, 17 and 20 lbs. We slooowww trolled big pop gear trailing a minnow right on bottom on our favorite runs. After three months of tinkering with the boat and plotting our strategies it was great to be back on the water with a mack pulling on the line. Water temp was 37.3, the ice is right at the mouth of the narrows and looked very rotten. We talked to a couple guys in a another boat who had not got any mack whilst jigging, but had tried for rainbows shallow and caught a few.
[signature]
1st softwater trip of the year is a thing of beauty... even more beautiful when your catchin Macks! Nice job! [Smile]
[signature]
Already catching some of those PhD fish from the Mustang hump I see!
[signature]
Nice fish and great pictures! Congrats!
[signature]
NICE FISH. WELL ITS GETTING CLOSE GUY,S.
[signature]
Got ya some nice ones, way to go!

Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pictures. Congrats on the macks.

Ice off and soft water fishing is just around the corner.[Smile]
[signature]
Nice fish I'll be there for the annual 1st week of june. Cant hardly wait.[unsure]

Bodine
[signature]
Congrats on the fish.
[signature]
well, that just made my plans for next week a little more interesting! thanks for the report... i guess i better get the boat ready for an early trip to the gorge!
[signature]
those pics bring back some memories for me! how far back into the canyon did you get? we used to do really well back around jarvies. did you fish back there at all?
[signature]
Looks like your revenge plotting paid off! Nice fish.
[signature]
The ice doesn't allow you to even start up the canyon right now, though another few days of nice weather and you should be able to get to up to Gold's Point and Jarvies. We have had success in the past on Gold's this time of year.
[signature]
Heh Jim, a couple of the bigger mack asked about you. I told them you'd be around soon enough. They still thought things were safe since there wasn't a red Lund parked over them and a jig bouncing on the hump.
[signature]
I hate to think what those fish really said about me! (the feeling is mutual, by the way) They should send a thank-you note to all the tarpon and cudas down here for allowing them a reprieve from the SOB in the red Lund. I used to beat on those fish 10-11 months a year, especially the canyon fish in the winter. Now, guys like you are picking up the slack I guess! No rest for the weary!

Lately, the tarpon have been saying, "Here comes that a** in the white center-console again. Quick, stop eating!" They'll get theirs though. They gotta eat sometime again.
[signature]