Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oysters
Hello:

New here, but I was wondering if anyone has been out to Grassy Island this year ? I haven't gotten out there since before Katrina and was wondering if it's still there ? Wasn't much of an island to start with. However, they did have pretty good fishing and I've pulled quite a few tasty oysters for there.
[signature]
Welcome to Bigfishtackle

are you talking about Grassy Island off of 329?
[signature]
Not sure we're talking about the same place. The island I'm talking about is near the Louisiana / Mississippi border, Southeast of the Mouth of the Pearl River, where it empties into the Mississippi Sound.
[signature]
I attempted to do a satilite immage check on little grassy island and grassy island.

I could bearly see the immage of pearl island because that entire area has been blackened out...

so I did a search and found this info for you, hope this helps...
Federal Marine Fisheries Hurricane Disaster Recovery [center]U. S. Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
(NOAA), National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Grant #NA06NMF4540319
Through the Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission (GSMFC)
[/center] [center]
[/center]
Per the Congressional appropriation, the eligible jobs include:

Job 1: Reseeding, Rehabilitating, and Restoring Oyster Reefs
Programs to assist with the rehabilitation of private oyster leases and public oyster grounds in Louisiana. For additional information, click [url "http://www.wlf.state.la.us/fishing/marinedisasterrecovery/oysterrecovery.cfm"]here[/url].
LDWF Contact: Private Oyster Lease Rehabilitation (POLR) Program 225.765.2940 Job 2: Rehabilitating Oyster Bed and Shrimp Grounds
Programs to assist with debris clean-up and habitat improvement and recovery on the historic fishing grounds in Louisiana.
*** Under Development *** Job 3: Cooperative Research to Monitor Recovery of Gulf Fisheries
Programs to collect commercial and recreational fishery information to document hurricane impacts and recovery of Louisiana coastal fisheries.
*** Under Development *** [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center]
PLEASE NOTE: The details of these programs are currently being developed. Please check back at a later time for more information. As information becomes available, it will be posted to this website.

Additional Information: [ul] [li]Click [url "http://www.wlf.state.la.us/news/?id=364"]here[/url] for the August 23, 2006 LDWF news release [li]Click [url "http://www.wlf.state.la.us/pdfs/fishing/marinedisasterrecovery/noaa%20press%20release0825.pdf"]here[/url] for the August 25, 2006 NOAA news release[/li][/ul]
[signature]