Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Open Water- 3/11/07
My son and I took the boat for a few turns around the limited open water, extending from the dam up to the mouth of the canyon. Lots of anglers had the same idea, and there were about a dozen boats out (jigging, trolling) and another dozen or more shore anglers lining the Mustang, Sunny Cove, Cedar Springs, and Visitor Center access points. We talked to some other anglers as we were pulling the boat, and overall fishing was slow. Boats are launching at both Cedar Springs and Mustang ramps.

We trolled up a couple of small rainbows. We didn't establish much of a pattern either. We caught one of the rainbows on a Shad Rap running at 13ft behind a planer board and the other on a silver spoon running at 45ft. We trolled through some lake trout hangouts, and only came out with a few hits. Water temp started at 36F and was 38F when we left at 1:00pm. Air temp was a balmy 55F and the wind was calm(???), making for a great day on the Gorge.

Hope it helps, Ryno
[signature]
Ryno, I found last year early in the season the rainbows were in very shallow water. we found some bays where the water was a little warmer and most of the fish we caught were in 8 to 15 of water, dragging small jointd rapalas and shad raps off the boards. We didn't see a lot of other guys fishing that close to shore. I sometimes get the board 10 feet from the shoreline. Just watch out for the bank fishermen !!
[signature]
Great update on the Gorge open water conditions. Thanks for sharing. WH2
[signature]
I also tried some soft water action. The mack fishing was slow. Did catch a few. This is a picture of the best one.

Aaron
[signature]